• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch cover striped bolts ?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
So I broke two bolts in the clutch cover, on different posts. But there broke about a inch down.(just the threads are in clutch post). The bolt shaft and head are on my bench. Machine shop can't even get them out, and help would be great.

G
Oct 23, 2011
sask. canada
You should be able to drill them out i drill out lots of bolts this way at work when a easy out wont work. Just make sure you start with a small drill bit. It has to be CENTER or it makes it difficult but once you got a good hole started keep going with a bigger drill bit until there is no more bolt left. Run a tap through to clean threads.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Bolts are broke at a angel, and all the easy outs are to short. Can't you buy just the out side shive? And change it?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Must not have been much of a machine shop.

Get a left hand drill and it should catch what is left and back out before you get a hole thru it. Make sure you are centered, before you start, and are using reverse due to the left hand helix drill bit. If you live where there is not a good hardware store you will likely need to go with the previous posters suggestion.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Been there before on the polaris clutches, a very difficult bolt to drill out of the broken face is at an angle.
Twice when I couldn't get the broken bolts out, I just tapped for an oversize bolt. The new bolt will be shorter and will only thread up to the broken bolt. The only difference after is that the new bolt is not long enough to release the spring pressure when removing the clutch cover, but you will have the other long bolts still.
I believe the bolt I used was a 5/16 18nc, but don't quote me.

Yes you can replace the outer sheave but your clutch will have to get balanced and I'm not sure if polaris will sell just one sheave... I think they only sell a complete clutch.

Whatever you do, I wouldn't recommend running the sled with one cover bolt missing, the towers can flex / break and lead to disaster.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Machine shop did not want to take the chance of messing up the clutch. And no they Probley not the best for this kind of work.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
With a good ridgid setup (mill). You can flatten the angular breaks with an end mill and left hand drill the stub out. This will allow you to still use stock bolts and balance remains unchanged.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Use a transfer punch to center punch the bolt. Drill a hole as close as possible to center in the broken bolt. Fill the tower to the top with Deep Creep from Sea Foam. Heat the tower with a heat gun to help the Deep Creep penetrate the threads. Drive a Phillips head screw driver into the hole you drilled in the bolt and work it with a vice grip. You may have to sharpen the edges of the Phillips to get a bite. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose. Phillips will work as an easy out. It should wedge in the top of the hole.

Last edited:
O

ottawaair

Mar 2, 2012
small left handed drill bit, find or make a sleeve that fits over the drill bit, and inside the unthreaded portion of the clutch.
this will keep the bit centered and not allow it walk off to the side.
once it bites, it should back the bolt out.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Thanx guys ill try out some ideas after the weekend, got a clutch off a 14 e start for the week end. Time to go kill so fresh pow!

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Make sure you are centered,

Drill a hole as close as possible to center in the broken bolt.

I'll "third" the above suggestions because if you don't follow this step 100% the chances of success are reduced to nil.

Having the correct equipment & training is essential. Methods ranging from left hand drill bits, numerous different extractor types, heating the area around, quenching(heat shrinking) the bolt, untold penetrating fluid concoctions, completely drilling/milling the broken bolt out of the hole & re tapping, etc. can all yield positive results but patience is the # 1 virtue when extracting broken bolts & almost all failures can be blamed on being in a hurry.

If you start the project with the vision that the process might take all day & are OK with it, you will be on the right path. :face-icon-small-win

Good luck!

Premium Features