• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Base Gasket

B
Jan 28, 2008
Dillon, Mt
I got a bad case of water in my cylinder last weekend, are the only places it can come from the base gasket, or the o-rings on the top? The head is not cracked, and the cylinder is fine, the o-rings on top looked good, but the base gasket looked questionable, I'm sure thats where it came from but want to make sure there is no where else. Mountain Cat 900, 03 m1, need all the help I can get, I'm a fast learning rookie.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Don't chance it, put new o-rings and base gaskets in. Put that head in boiling water then look it over with a magnifying glass and check for cracks. Sometimes you can't see a crack in the head because it is so small and only opens with heat. 90% chance changing the base and head gaskets will take care of it.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
make sure to put the base gasket on right side up. it has up stamped into or cut out somewhere on the gasket. last one I tore down the person had put the gasket on upside down. Dont know if it really makes much difference but if it didnt matter they wouldne mark it.

Premium Features