• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Viper Air Box Mod

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
How do you plan to stop hot air created by engine heat and the exhaust manifold from entering into the air box ? Are you planning to use external tubes plumbed into the drilled holes to provide external cool air ? Are you planning to use an air/fuel controller to compensate for the mod made to the air box ?

Drilling external holes into your air box without addressing the above concerns is risky to the sleds performance in my opinion.

Cool Air Plus Fuel = Horsepower
Hot Air Plus Fuel = Lose of Horsepower

DPG

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
How do you plan to stop hot air created by engine heat and the exhaust manifold from entering into the air box ? Are you planning to use external tubes plumbed into the drilled holes to provide external cool air ? Are you planning to use an air/fuel controller to compensate for the mod made to the air box ?

Drilling external holes into your air box without addressing the above concerns is risky to the sleds performance in my opinion.

Cool Air Plus Fuel = Horsepower
Hot Air Plus Fuel = Lose of Horsepower

DPG

Ummm.... the exhaust is on the other side of the engine :face-icon-small-win

No fuel controller needed at my altitude as I said above. Look at a Viper and check out the ram air under the front bumper, maybe even too much ram air effect. And if you had seen a Viper with the hood off you would know that the radiator blows hot air directly into the air box hence my radiator removal. Even with the radiator in, the holes I drilled are in a place to get cooler air than the air inlet is.

Most important thing to me is it works.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Ummm.....the exhaust manifold which is on the other side also happens to be under the hood and attached to the engine and just around the corner from the clutch. And believe it or not when your hood is closed and your operating the sled a lot of heat is created under the hood from the engine, exhaust manifold and clutch and those 3 holes in your air box will be taking in a lot of heat.

I would suggest contacting Troy Johnson Alpine Wyoming he works closely with Yamaha in R&D. He also does R&D for MPI and is Yamaha's hill climb race manager. His knowledge when it comes to modding the Yamaha sled is priceless and can save you a lot of potential headaches down the road.

DPG

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
FYI, riding at 10k to 12K the air/fuel mix in your sled is constantly changing all the time. Your sled is also working harder at that elevation due to the thin air and constantly changing barometric pressure and temperature changes of high elevation riding.

The harder your sled works the more heat is generated.

DPG

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Ummm.....the exhaust manifold which is on the other side also happens to be under the hood and attached to the engine and just around the corner from the clutch. And believe it or not when your hood is closed and your operating the sled a lot of heat is created under the hood from the engine, exhaust manifold and clutch and those 3 holes in your air box will be taking in a lot of heat.

I would suggest contacting Troy Johnson Alpine Wyoming he works closely with Yamaha in R&D. He also does R&D for MPI and is Yamaha's hill climb race manager. His knowledge when it comes to modding the Yamaha sled is priceless and can save you a lot of potential headaches down the road.

DPG

I realize this is the internet and you have no way of knowing who you are dealing with, but trust me this is not my first rodeo.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I realize this is the internet and you have no way of knowing who you are dealing with, but trust me this is not my first rodeo.

This is very true...however if what your doing was such a great mod for high elevation riding as you seem to believe other Yamaha 4stroke sled owners would be doing this mod and posting there great results all over the Internet. And being a former RX1, Apex & Vector owner myself I don't recall tampering with the air box being a recommended mod unless your going to a turbo and the air box is gone completely.

And who know maybe your right and this is a great mod for the Yamaha 4 stroke @ 10,000 to 12,000 feet in elevation.

Good Luck
DPG

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

What's this?
You say this is Not your first rodeo!
And here we were all thinking you were just making it as you went along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
This is very true...however if what your doing was such a great mod for high elevation riding as you seem to believe other Yamaha 4stroke sled owners would be doing this mod and posting there great results all over the Internet. And being a former RX1, Apex & Vector owner myself I don't recall tampering with the air box being a recommended mod unless your going to a turbo and the air box is gone completely.

And who know maybe your right and this is a great mod for the Yamaha 4 stroke @ 10,000 to 12,000 feet in elevation.

Good Luck
DPG

Sorry if you didn't know about the older Yamaha air box mods, I have added a link to Ulmer Racing go to the engine performance page to see all the air box mods he does and the performance increases.

http://www.ulmerracing.com/

Works on 2006 to 2014 model Apex!

***Blue prefilter material shown above is for illustration purposes only and not included in the MOD air box modification***

Slightly improved low end HP!

3-4 HP gain on top end!

As quiet as stock so your buddies will never know!

Runs on 87 octane fuel!

Does not require any fuel injection mods!

$150 with air box exchange!

$225 without air box exchange!

For the exchange program simply send us the bottom portion of your air box and we will exchange it
for one of our Stealth MOD air boxes and return ship it the same day! 3-4 hp and as quiet as
stock so your buddies will never know!

Last edited:
D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I'm very familiar with Ulmer Racing out of South Dakota...Can you direct me to one website either TotallyYamaha, Snowest, or Mud & Snow were anyone has had success with there air box mod.

If you do the search on Snowest there's a thread called " Nytro Air Box Mod " the Ulmer Air Box had no success. Ulmer Racing also has an article posted somewhere about needing to run as much as 10 steps rich to prevent low to mid range bog or the use of an Ulmer Power Commander box to adjust the mapping.

I can't begin to imagine the air box mod without a fuel controller having any benefit at riding @ 10k to 12k elevations.

FYI there a guy on Totally Yamaha With a 2014 air box mod similar to your who is having issues because to much hot air is entering into the holes he drilled into the air box. The title of his thread is " Viper Air Box Mod "

DPG

Last edited:
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I'm very familiar with Ulmer Racing out of South Dakota...Can you direct me to one website either TotallyYamaha, Snowest, or Mud & Snow were anyone has had success with there air box mod.

If you do the search on Snowest there's a thread called " Nytro Air Box Mod " the Ulmer Air Box had no success. Ulmer Racing also has an article posted somewhere about needing to run as much as 10 steps rich to prevent low to mid range bog or the use of an Ulmer Power Commander box to adjust the mapping.

I can't begin to imagine the air box mod without a fuel controller having any benefit at riding @ 10k to 12k elevations.

FYI there a guy on Totally Yamaha With a 2014 air box mod similar to your who is having issues because to much hot air is entering into the holes he drilled into the air box. The title of his thread is " Viper Air Box Mod "

DPG

LOL! You know that is my thread over there as it is under the same name as here. And why lie? Only one other person besides me has tried and reported and I have no issue with hot air in the holes. You are a troll I choose to no longer asnwer your posts....I am here to help and read helpful posts neither of which you are doing.

For those not wanting to go see here is the thread and an excerpt,

"Drove a viper this season with this type of mod. It made 4-5hp on dyno and up again my stock viper with clutching it was 2 sled lengths faster in 1000'. Both were identical ltx se sleds both studded the same and both had same clutch kit, only difference was airbox. We switched riders and same results. Good cheap gains to be had in the airbox area "

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/air-box-mod.129365/

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
LOL! You know that is my thread over there as it is under the same name as here. And why lie? Only one other person besides me has tried and reported and I have no issue with hot air in the holes. You are a troll I choose to no longer asnwer your posts....I am here to help and read helpful posts neither of which you are doing.

For those not wanting to go see here is the thread and an excerpt,

"Drove a viper this season with this type of mod. It made 4-5hp on dyno and up again my stock viper with clutching it was 2 sled lengths faster in 1000'. Both were identical ltx se sleds both studded the same and both had same clutch kit, only difference was airbox. We switched riders and same results. Good cheap gains to be had in the airbox area "

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/air-box-mod.129365/

LMAO, how do you know you don't get heat in your air box since by the sound of your posts you haven't tested the mod @ 10,000 feet under load in snow. You posted that you put wheels on the skis and rode down the street...WoW that some pretty impressive testing.

By the way that was not your post that was someone else on TY studroes144 from Lovell NY. FYI, riding at sea level out east is far different than riding at 10,000 to 12,000 feet. But I'm 100% certain you already no that since this is not your 1st rodeo.

Good Luck, I hope your dealer has your back if and when you require warranty work.

DPG

Last edited:

4strokeperformance

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Viper air

Granted I haven't had a new Viper to try this on but I did do these types of mods on my RX1, Apex and Nytro with zero issues. One thing I noticed especially on the Nytro was how my plugs went from blacker and richer to browner and closer to spot on. Keep us posted on this when the snow starts to fly again.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Granted I haven't had a new Viper to try this on but I did do these types of mods on my RX1, Apex and Nytro with zero issues. One thing I noticed especially on the Nytro was how my plugs went from blacker and richer to browner and closer to spot on. Keep us posted on this when the snow starts to fly again.

Cool you and stingray are among a very select few who have had results.

DPG

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
People were selling a lot of used "modded " airboxes and loud pipes for the Apexes around 2008-2009..........

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Yes I guess I should have added to my original post that if you drill in the wrong place you can cause air box turbulence and actually make the sled run worse.

And loud pipes? WTF does that have to do with this thread?

More intake noise + more exhaust noise + some monster stickers = more power......you know, the standard equation.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I have my 2014 M8 sold today so last night we took the M8 and the 2014 Viper with Bill's clutch and air box mod along with MBRP can and decided to run them against each other.

A little history, the other Viper we have that we converted to mountain last year, the best it could do even with the clutch mod was run even up with M8 to 40mph.

The test - not very scientific but good enough for me to answer a couple of my own questions. And yes asphalt testing with mountain sleds is not accurate. We had both sleds fitted with dolly wheels on the skis of course, and lined them up. Only had about 400 to 500 feet to test, but the Viper launched about a sled length and a half on the M8 and held it pulling a little ahead. WOW was I surprised, not sad to see the M8 go now as I had doubts about selling it. Now I can't wait to gear down the Viper and test it on snow.

HOW LONG TILL SNOW?????????????????????

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
I have my 2014 M8 sold today so last night we took the M8 and the 2014 Viper with Bill's clutch and air box mod along with MBRP can and decided to run them against each other.

A little history, the other Viper we have that we converted to mountain last year, the best it could do even with the clutch mod was run even up with M8 to 40mph.

The test - not very scientific but good enough for me to answer a couple of my own questions. And yes asphalt testing with mountain sleds is not accurate. We had both sleds fitted with dolly wheels on the skis of course, and lined them up. Only had about 400 to 500 feet to test, but the Viper launched about a sled length and a half on the M8 and held it pulling a little ahead. WOW was I surprised, not sad to see the M8 go now as I had doubts about selling it. Now I can't wait to gear down the Viper and test it on snow.

HOW LONG TILL SNOW?????????????????????

You should swap the track out for a 3" Challenger Extreme, I hear they hook up way better on asphalt vs the power claw....

Last edited:
Premium Features