• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XTX Tunnel w/Timbersled drop brackets

brianwcooper

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2010
Sturgis, SD
I am extending my 2009 XTX to a 162". I am going to be putting a timbersled skid in it and tonight I went to install the drop brackets and none of the holes line up at all. Has anyone used a stock XTX tunnel with the timbersled drop brackets? I guess i didn't think the XTX tunnel was any different than an MTX other than the rear extension.

L

luckyjones

Oct 21, 2009
south dakota
when i ordered my mountain tamer for my xtx i ordered the drop brackets too. i was called back shortly saying that the drop brackets wont work for the xtx. im not sure of the difference but the call came directly from timbersled and they made sure i had everthing i needed. nice to work with and quality products!

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
2011 XTX - Apex

Kicking the tires on the 2011 Apex XTX for my wife.

The Yamaha guy at Hay Days said I could put a 1.75" lug track on by removing the tunnel guard.

Is that the limit on putting a taller lugged track on and then do you run the risk of harming the exhaust pipe which supposedly the guard protects?

The power steering factor would really help her in her riding, but I don't know if it would be counteracted by the increased sled weight.

T

Tarzannr1

Aug 16, 2010
North in Norway
www.youtube.com
What!!!??????

when i ordered my mountain tamer for my xtx i ordered the drop brackets too. i was called back shortly saying that the drop brackets wont work for the xtx. im not sure of the difference but the call came directly from timbersled and they made sure i had everthing i needed. nice to work with and quality products!

???????? .I have also ordered to my xtx and also with drop brackets i havent heard ANYTHING aboat this!?
Why in the world wouldnt the drop bracket go and use on the xtx tunnel??
My dealer have ordered from Timbersled but we havent heard of this.:face-icon-small-con
Cant se the differense between xtx tunnel and MTX tunnel?
One of the things that was when I ordered this was that I think it looks cool that it is raised up as with drop brackets!!

This was not good if it's true!:mmph::frusty::frusty::frusty::censored::boxing::mad2::mad2::pout:

Last edited:

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
The center to center distance between the front and rear crossshafts, is shorter for the XTX. I don't remember the exact length difference, seemed like it was about 3 inches.
Also the XTX tunnel is more tapered then the 08-09 MTX tunnel (not sure about the 2010-11). I could see where there could be a mis-match, if the brackets are placed further forward.
I guy may be able to modity them, to make the brackets work though!

L

luckyjones

Oct 21, 2009
south dakota
sounds like mnt viper has a good idea what the differences are. i dont have any idea. i ordered directly from timberled. im sure if you call them theyll be able to help you out. i hope they come out with drop brackets for the xtx. im looking to save all the weight i can so im not going to far backwords when i figure out my boost situation.

T

Tarzannr1

Aug 16, 2010
North in Norway
www.youtube.com
The center to center distance between the front and rear crossshafts, is shorter for the XTX. I don't remember the exact length difference, seemed like it was about 3 inches.
Also the XTX tunnel is more tapered then the 08-09 MTX tunnel (not sure about the 2010-11). I could see where there could be a mis-match, if the brackets are placed further forward.
I guy may be able to modity them, to make the brackets work though!
Im going to try to modify them but i havent got them yet.
Do you have any idea how to modify them??:face-icon-small-con

brianwcooper

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2010
Sturgis, SD
I am going to try and make them work by modifying them a little bit. They just don't line up with any of the holes on the stock xtx tunnel but should still work. I am going to be building my own rear tunnel extension so I am going to bring that far enough forward to drill new holes in to mount the brackets. I'll post some pics when I get it done should be in the next couple weeks just waiting for my skid to get here.

Last edited:

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Im going to try to modify them but i havent got them yet.
Do you have any idea how to modify them??:face-icon-small-con

You may be able to make them work by drilling new holes, as Brian mentioned above.

I ended up making my own brackets, to clear the 16" wide track that I run.
The drop brackets are shorter so that they don't rise above where the track rides. Then I made some brackets, that are about the same shape as the OEM bracket. These fit on the outside of the tunnel, to put strength back into the tunnel.
The running board supports were cut off of the stock brackets, powder coated black, then bolted to the new aluminum drop brackets.

IMG_0856.jpg IMG_0855.jpg

brianwcooper

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2010
Sturgis, SD
Custom Drop Brackets and 144-162 extension

I couldn't get the timbersled brackets to work on the XTX tunnel so i ended up building my own. Just have to make sure the distance between the front skid bolt and the rear is 31 5/8". On the XTX tunnel you have to Move the front mounting hole down and back also. If i were to do this again i probalby would have just found a MTX tunnel to work with. Then after i got that done i built the rear extension off of that. It's not completely done yet but here is what i have got so far.

snowmobile 4.jpg Snowmobile 3.jpg snowmobile 1.jpg snowmobile 2.jpg

Last edited:

grizzly7

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I put a 2" camo extreme on my XTX but didnt change anything in the suspensoin, I did take out the tunnel protectors and put WB drivers on. Worked amazing, but since up graded to a 2010 Mtx and put boost on it.

Premium Features