• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I think my season is over

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
It could have been .005 from the FACTORY. LOL
So should I just freshen up the clutch and run this mother? I don't know if I can swing the cost of a big bearing upgrade. Maybe now that the wife has a job though... :D
In a perfect world I'd get the Indy Dan crank, but I can't swing that can't of cash. Especially since I'm considering a brand change in the next few years... wouldn't make sense to dump a bunch of $$$ into this sled.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
As a note... a worn out clutch is still worn out after a balance... and will cause problems...

With 2400 Miles on it... I would say that it has some wear on it.

Make sure that the Primary is top notch and run it... make sure that the belt side clearance is set (shop service) and the belt deflection is set (you do this)...

Also, run a new or near new belt as well.

engine alignment and proper function of the drive train are crucial.

Check the track tension, hyfax.

Pull the muffler, drain the chaincase, remove the cover... inspect everything inside, clean up everything.... visually set the tension on the chain, re cover, new synthetic chain oil... good to go.

Pull the secondary clutch... dissssemble and clean it... check the spring (for as cheap as they are... replace it).

All of these things make it easier on your engine PLUS let it Perform the way it should.

Good luck.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I think tomorrow I might start tearing the motor down to get it ready to send out for a big bearing mod... can't swing the Indy Dan version but I'll either have Allsport Polaris in Spoko or 1200psi do it... hopefully. If not I'll definitely get the clutch looked over and freshened up before I run it this year.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Allsport uses CrankyJoe for their crankwork. As far as I have read/been told Joe is the one that started the whole big bearing thing. Indydan has taken it much farther and figured out a lot of other points of attention.
I didn't know Brad was doing cranks or I might have went that way since I was already sending him my clutch.
I chose the Crankyjoe option as many guys that I know use him and have had success and then just that he is a local guy.

If I had the dough I would probably go with an indydan lower end as he warrantee's it. But I am a broke hoe

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
If I had the dough I would probably go with an indydan lower end as he warrantee's it. But I am a broke hoe

You aren't the only one! Cranky Joe or Brad will be getting the cases/crank sometime to get the work done... I'm going to have the primary gone through also and cross my fingers and hope I can get another couple good seasons out of it.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Good move....Clean er up and run er til she pukes. LOL

BTW, Indy Dan does NOT do wide bearings...and he'll give you all the info about why as well.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Good move....Clean er up and run er til she pukes. LOL

BTW, Indy Dan does NOT do wide bearings...and he'll give you all the info about why as well.
I've done tons of reading on Dan's crank mods and while it would be nice, I can't afford to spend that kind of money. I was on the edge of selling it/trading it in and buying a REV :eek: but not having a payment takes precedence over a newer, fancier sled.

thesledhead

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado Springs CO
you need to check the run out on the seal boss but if it is at 5 on the end it will be around 2 and a half at the seal.
thats what I was thinkin :beer; the end could be off the charts
Just some background info to help fill in the gaps...
I bought the sled spring of 07 with roughly 1800 miles on it... has about 2400 miles now.
PO had an SLP single and clutching on it, but took it off and swapped his buddy for stock parts when he decided to sell it.
I have the SLP torque arm and push stop but still running stock motor mounts.
Engine is (or at least was last time I checked) perfectly aligned.
I did blow a belt last season... it was on the trail but I had the hammer down.
I have the primary off right now and I need to read up again on how to check it over to see what needs replaced... Indy Dan told me I'd be better off to **** can my primary and just buy a new one.

think its time to delete these post and post it up in the classifieds LMAO :beer; I have a ton of 6 7 and 800 motor parts and would love to clean the garage up, pm me if you need some help.

C

cowboysedge

Apr 3, 2005
Soda Springs, Idaho
.004 could be! All I know is at our local shop they have always told me poo specs were any thing .005 - .007 or better. They could be wrong. I wouldn't put it past them. There were a pile of broken 800 cranks in the corner when they told me that. LOL!!! Like I said before I have seen brand new 800 cranks read .003 on the truing stand!

Good luck with the big bearing, make sure the case is modded to get the proper amount of oil to the big bearing.

Premium Features