• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 ski doo 800 summit break in

S
Nov 14, 2009
i have a new ski doo 8oo summit and was wondering the best break in procedure ? My dealer said to 5 hours nothing over 7000 rpm. 5 more hours nothing over 8000 rpm.

2009 ski doo summit 800 xp hps can, clicker clutch, felker vent kit and belt, white powder pro skis

T
Sep 30, 2009
Onoway, Alberta
break in procedure

Put half liter mix oil in the tank. Start sled and warm it up. The first 5 KM or so blurp the throttle throughout the full range without keeping it in any position for more than a few seconds.
After that for the rest of the first tank, don't hold W.O.T for any longer than 20 to 25 seconds
Did this with my 06 and 08. Worked for me
Cheers

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
i have a new ski doo 8oo summit and was wondering the best break in procedure ? My dealer said to 5 hours nothing over 7000 rpm. 5 more hours nothing over 8000 rpm.

Go kik yer dealer in the gooch!:cool:

0-5 miles: Wick throttle to 7000 rpm, stop, cool off clutchs & motor (10 mins).

5-10 miles Wick throttle to 7500 rpm , stop, cool off clutchs & motor (10 mins).

10-15 miles: wick throttle to full pin, no more than 2-3 seconds, stop, cool off clutchs & motor (10 mins).

15+ miles: Pin the Beiotch and RIDE!

Last edited:
K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
Wow,,, no wonder we see so many sleds run like crap... Like the other guys said.. oil in the tank,,, vary the trottle,, be very easy on it for the first hour, then the next 5+ hours,, Still easy, but stronger blurps, no strong pulls, like your wife is riding it.. Heat cycles are good thing. cool it off & then go again.. short full throttle blurps.. We say up to 10 hours.. but i know that is hard to do.. If yo want,,,, go ahead and ride it like you rented it.. but we see it every year.... You cob it,,, at first,, it will run like crap..
If you have the time,, run it up, till just warm on the warmup stand.. I do it twice a day for a number of days.. Heat cycles..

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
Wow,,, no wonder we see so many sleds run like crap... Like the other guys said.. oil in the tank,,, vary the trottle,, be very easy on it for the first hour, then the next 5+ hours,, Still easy, but stronger blurps, no strong pulls, like your wife is riding it.. Heat cycles are good thing. cool it off & then go again.. short full throttle blurps.. We say up to 10 hours.. but i know that is hard to do.. If yo want,,,, go ahead and ride it like you rented it.. but we see it every year.... You cob it,,, at first,, it will run like crap..
If you have the time,, run it up, till just warm on the warmup stand.. I do it twice a day for a number of days.. Heat cycles..

Complete horse crap. Sorry dude....this is NOT the way to break in a motor. Do NOT warm it up in the garage...EVER. You can not load the rings on a track stand.

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
Ever read what Lycoming says about breaking in one of their aircraft engines??

from Lycoming - "After the initial test run...... Run the engine at high cruise power levels for best piston ring/cylinder wall mating."

"Full power for takeoff and climb during the break-in period is not harmful; it is beneficial, although engine temperatures should be monitored closely to insure that overheating does not occur. Cruise power settings.....preferably in the 70% to 75% of rated power range should be used to achieve a good engine break-in."

"For those who still think that running the engine hard during break-in falls into the catagory of cruel and unusual punishment.....the use of low power settings does not expand the piston rings enough, and a film of oil is left on the cylinder walls. The high temperatures in the combustion chamber will oxidize this oil fillm so that it creates a conditioin commonly known as glazing of the cylinder walls. When this happens, the ring break-in process stops...."

Granted, an aircraft engine is a 4-cycle, and undergoes much certification to comply with FAA regs, but the logic is sound. Get the engine under load so that the rings will seat. If it works for my plane, it works for my sled.

I agree about the constant varying of thottle postion for the first fifty miles or so. No sustained wfo runs until sufficiently broken in.

Was out hammering on my sled today, still runs like a watch.......

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
wot

at the end of the assembly line i saw once that they hook up a set of carbs and exhaust crank it and wot for a couple seconds. cant remember where i saw that, i think it was polaris. it was on tv

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
winter brew and DaveB are spot on.......you have to load it up to get the rings to seat properly..........and you can't do that riding it like some gal scared to pin it!

Oh I know......fill the oil tank with full synthetic, start it 20 times in the garage, drag it to the mountain and baby it for the first 500 miles..........and then wonder why it can't run with the others of the same year and size........dealers who say this must not trust their own work...........hmmmm.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Best way to brake in the sled is put the clickers to #1. Let it idle till the coolers are warm and then go for a couple grass drags. Work the sh*t out of it, but let it cool off in between.

then put it away till you're ready to ride it.

this extra oil in the tank thing is bs. they just want to sell you more oil.

All mine have been broken in at an actual grass drag or on a dyno. the LAST thing you wanna do is baby it. Just don't cold seize it either.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
Ride it like ya stole it. Every machine, truck, loader we own gets driven like NASCAR.

Sleds are no different. I've got one loader that has somewhere between 25-30 k hrs on it. We just repowered it. Oil changes every 500 hrs on ol fashioned dino.

Point is buy good fuel and oil, warm it up, and drive it like a Ferrari with a blonde riding shotgun.

Your not helping anything by "babying it".

Last edited:
J
Feb 11, 2009
california
just ride it:D and dont hold it wide open for a long period of time. after the first tank of fuel its broke in:beer; ride how you are going to ride though the season and youll be fine. or ride it hard and put it away wet:eek:. brake it in hard and it will run harder for you;) just dont baby thing

Last edited:

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
John-Wayne-Web.jpg

S
Jan 6, 2002
agreed with daveb and winterbrew! ive been breaking-in new sleds by short full throttle bursts..hard accelerations! never had problems with my engines by doing this!

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
dealers and manufacturers tell you to baby it for one reason - they don't want to pay for cold seizures!

I agree 100% w/ Winter Brew and the others. Pin it to win it! Just not for too long on the first tank. after the first tank is done, just ride it like you always would.

Premium Features