• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 m6 wont rev out

ilovepowder

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2009
Cold Spring mn
stores.ebay.com
Ok so my buddy has a 2006 m6 that he bought last fall. Seemed to run great until he was getting a power valve code. We ended up testing the servo motor and taking it apart and it was all rusty and corroded so we replaced it and it worked great again. Then we went to cooke in Jan and it worked great. When we got back it started running like crap. It was running hot on one cylinder and wouldn't rev out correctly. Then it kept getting worse and wont rev out at all over 5000-6000 and it is often running on one cylinder. He has had the injectors out and throttle bodies off several times making sure all was clear. Also checked compression that was 145 on both. So we started testing electrical stuff. The primary coil resistance test is when you test the resistance on the two wires coming into the coil. It is supposed to be between .24-.36 ohms WE tested it to be about .5 ohms. We then tested our other buddys m7 which has the same coil and it tested .3 which is in spec.

My questions is before we buy a new coil does anyone think that this coil be the problem for it not revving out correctly or is something else causing the coil to burn up and in turn causing the problem.
Also we tested the ignition timing sensor and that was in spec for the resistance test

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
How do you know its running on one cylinder sometimes? Does it feel like its going into limp mode? Is it running anything like my sled in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Nes1IpdLE
If your not going over a certain RPM my guess would be something is up with your powervalves, first do the easy thing and take them out and clean them. Then check the cable length to make sure it hasnt stretched (sorry I dont remember what they are suposed to be). You say you changed the servo so it isnt that. Another thing I would check that can make a sled run like crap in many ways is the taillight wires shorting out, thats what happened to me in that video. But lots of other things can happen not just it running like mine. The most common spot is the wiring right under the gas tank, you will need to remover the tank to get to the wires. An easier way to test if thats your issue though is just unplug the taillight, I cant remember if on your sled the plug is by the break or by the coolant bottle. If none of those things I mentioned helped then try to get a video up that helped me in finding my issue and would help with yours too. (I hope)

ilovepowder

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2009
Cold Spring mn
stores.ebay.com
So the new coil was put in and it made no difference.
The sled starts right up and idles great. It is definitely in limp mode and doesn't seem to want to come out.
Any ideas on some good things to check?
There are no engine codes flashing.
Seems like a fuel or electrical problem.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
6 problems

had 05 m6 customer relate to me all the no rev poor running wouldn'd pull issues.
he had cleaned the power valvles, plugs, etc etc.

Checked clutch's, greasy / oily. DD drive leaking along back 4 screws. Service DD, new oil, sealed the case, cleaned the clutch's to like new, cleansed the greasy belt, back to 8100 and pulling like a good m7.

might check that

Premium Features