• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RTP Needs your help

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
I tried posting this in the general section and had no responses, maybe I'll have better luck here

I just received this email from a friend and I figured that it wouldn't hurt to share this, the more we help we can get the better.

Dear Members of the CRT Council of Advisors:

The Recreational Trails Program is in very deep trouble. The U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works Committee has approved transportation reauthorization legislation known as MAP-21 that would effectively eliminate the RTP by stripping the program of its dedicated funding.

But all hope is not lost.

CRT and its member organizations have been working to identify key Champions in the Senate with the aim of having an amendment to restore dedicated funding for the RTP added to the bill before it is considered by the full Senate.

Reaching this goal will not be possible without your help.

Now is the time for all organizations and individuals who support RTP to tell their Senators to protect dedicated funding for this absolutely essential program.

The key messages are simple:
· Unless the bill is changed, MAP-21 will effectively eliminate the Recreational Trails Program; and
· Please amend MAP-21 to include dedicated funding for RTP.
Other helpful messages include:
· For the last two decades, RTP has received a portion of the gas taxes paid by users of off-highway motorized vehicles to fund trail building, maintenance and other trail-related projects. More than 13,000 projects have been funded across the country for all kinds of trail uses. This is a very successful program.
· At its current level of annual funding – $85 million – RTP receives less than 42% of the Federal Highway Administration’s conservative estimate of the federal gas taxes paid by America’s nonhighway recreationists. The Senate bill would reduce that percentage to zero and represents a substantial new tax on motorized recreation enthusiasts.
· The return of gas taxes to trail users through the RTP is in keeping with the user-pay, user-benefit philosophy of the Highway Trust Fund. Ending dedicated funding for RTP takes these gas taxes away from the people who pay them. Ending dedicated funding for RTP is bad public policy and just plain wrong.
· The RTP is the foundation of state trail programs. If the RTP loses its dedicated funding, organized trail planning and development will simply vanish in many areas of the country.
Now is the time to act. Write, email or call your two Senators. Here’s a link if you need it: http://www.senate.gov/. Make sure your entire grassroots organization is engaged as well.
We need to show the United States Senate just how many Americans are committed to the Recreational Trails Program. If we don’t act, the very backbone of trails in America may be forever lost.
Please be sure to send us a copy of your message. Thank you for your help.

Marianne Fowler, Co-Chair, Coalition for Recreational Trails
Derrick Crandall, Co-Chair, Coalition for Recreational Trails

1225 New York Avenue, N.W., Suite 450
Washington, D.C. 20005
(202) 682-9530 Fax (202) 682-9529
cahern@funoutdoors.com

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
Hey Washington Voters. I sent in a comment through either a BCR , CBU,or maybe ARRA link regarding RTP, and THIS is what i get in return from our senator Cantwell (I have better pet names for her) regarding RTP.

Concrete evidence that the wench (or her minions) never read anything other than thier own drivel. Do you see anything in that regarding RTP????
Can we PLEASE put her on unemployment in November!!!

Thank you for contacting me regarding reauthorization of federal surface transportation programs. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

Efficient transportation systems are critically important to Washingtonians. In our state, we need to preserve and renew our existing surface transportation infrastructure, improve freight mobility, increase transit opportunities for commuters statewide, update the nation's largest commuter ferry system, replace bridges that have surpassed their usable lifespan, and make numerous upgrades to enhance safety for motorists. In addition to adding capacity to our road systems, we must enhance the transportation choices for commuters where that is feasible. We must also improve traffic systems using new technologies that help achieve greater efficiency and allow us to yield more capacity from the systems that we already have.

As you may know, Congress reauthorizes federal surface transportation programs every few years. This reauthorization sets funding levels for a variety of surface transportation programs including new highway construction, infrastructure repairs, public transit projects, high-speed passenger rail programs, and many others. The most recent reauthorization, the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: a Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU) was passed in 2005 and expired in September of 2009. However, Congress passed a series of short-term extensions of the reauthorization, with the most recent extension lasting through March 31, 2012. Four Senate committees have been working on new legislation to reauthorize surface transportation programs. The bill is now being considered, with amendments, on the Senate floor. I am hopeful a permanent reauthorization will pass the Senate and will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers the details of the surface transportation reauthorization legislation.

You may also be interested to learn I introduced the FREIGHT Act (S. 371) on February 16, 2011. If enacted, this legislation would establish the nation's first strategic plan for freight and would identify bottlenecks to reduce delays and increase reliability. More than one million jobs in our state are in freight-dependent industries. In 2010, over 533 million tons of freight moved in Washington and by 2040, that number is expected to grow by up to 86 percent. The FREIGHT Act would help Washington state grow its robust trade economy by making investments to modernize and improve the efficiency of Washington's intermodal freight network, which includes ports, freight railways, air cargo infrastructure, highways, and pipelines. It would reduce national freight transportation-related carbon dioxide levels by 40 percent by 2030 and reduce the impact of transportation-related air, water, and noise pollution on the ecosystem and local communities.

In addition, the FREIGHT Act would create a new competitive grant program for freight-specific infrastructure projects, such as port infrastructure improvements, freight rail capacity expansion projects, and highway projects that improve access to freight facilities. A new Office of Freight Planning and Development would be created within the Department of Transportation that would coordinate efforts to improve the efficiency and operation of all modes of the national freight transportation system. On December 14, 2011, the Senate Commerce Committee approved, by a voice vote, an amendment I introduced to include provisions of the FREIGHT Act in surface transportation reauthorization legislation.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts. You may also be interested in signing up for periodic updates for Washington State residents. If you are interested in subscribing to this update, please visit my website at http://cantwell.senate.gov. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

So I sent another with this at the end

I am hoping to get a response regarding THIS issue this time,
The last one was vague and totally missed the issue of my concern! __________________

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
I have mailed our senators here in WY however, I have yet to receive a response on the issue... Thank you for taking it out of your time to do so!! Every letter helps! This affects not just us snowmobilers, but all recreational users because the funds for the trail systems will be cut.

Last edited:
O
Dec 6, 2007
I have mailed our senators here in WY however, I have yet to receive a response on the issue... Thank you for taking it out of your time to do so!! Every letter helps! This affects not just us snowmobilers, but all recreational users because the funds for the trail systems will be cut.

Please explain to me how "every letter helps"? Helps what? We have been losing land for DECADES, and I expect that trend to continue no matter how many letters you write.

Why do people continue to persue actions that have negative results? "Working with them" hasn't worked, and wont work. I challenge you to prove otherwise.

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
I sent to both Senators in Wyoming and received these responses:

Sen. Barrasso:

Dear Edward,

Thank you for contacting me about the Recreational Trails Program (RTP). It is good to hear from you.

As you may know, the Senate is currently debating the highway bill S. 1813. This legislation would reauthorize Federal-aid highway and safety programs over two years. In an effort streamline the highway program, the bill would consolidate over 87 programs into less than 30.

As a recreational trail user, I certainly understand your support for dedicated RTP funding. The RTP will maintain its eligibility for funding in the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program (CMAQ). Under the CMAQ program, states will have the flexibility to spend 10-percent of their funds on a number of activities from recreational trails to transportation enhancements.

While we have limited resources for highway spending, I do not believe Washington should arbitrarily dictate how states spend their funding. States should have the flexibility to prioritize projects that meet their respective needs. Please know that I will keep your support for RTP in mind as the Senate continues to consider S. 1813.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I value your input.

John Barrasso, M.D.
United States Senator

And Sen Enzi:

February 21, 2012

Dear Edward:
I appreciate your comments about the Recreational Trails Program. My colleagues and I are currently debating S. 1813, the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act, or MAP-21. Senator Klobuchar has offered an amendment related to the RTP, which I am in the process of reviewing.

Our federal budget requires we make tough choices about the programs we are funding, which includes managing the depleting funds that provide for our transportation programs. The most challenging transportation issue we face is how to finance transportation programs when the Highway Trust Fund and revenue sources are not providing enough resources for the programs we currently have. Several proposals have been suggested, and I will continue to look for a long-term solution to fund our vital national infrastructure projects.

Thanks for taking the time to contact me, I get some of my best ideas from folks in Wyoming.

Sincerely,
Michael B. Enzi
United States Senator

P.S. You can get a more complete view of all my activities in the Senate by visiting my web page and also signing up for my e-newsletter. Visit enzi.senate.gov for more information.

MBE:AE

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Please explain to me how "every letter helps"? Helps what? We have been losing land for DECADES, and I expect that trend to continue no matter how many letters you write.

Why do people continue to persue actions that have negative results? "Working with them" hasn't worked, and wont work. I challenge you to prove otherwise.

It is my belief that maybe one letter will get through. I too received the same letters from Senator Enzi and Barasso. However if we do not write letters showing we are upset with what's going on, how are they even supposed to know if we care whether or not our trails are losing all of their funding? Even if there were only 500 letters sent to our senators, that's better then none. I didn't say you have to but I'd like to believe that every little bit helps. It helps so that our senators know we are not ok with what's going on and hopefully they are true to their word and in office to serve the people. I'm not trying to make this a political debate, however one can have hope, and if they don't have hope what's the point in caring about whatever the senate does anyways?

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
My experience with RTP is that it puts pavement on my state's snowmobile trails and then calls them bicycle trails. They even funded bike trails in my town right on top of the sled trails I used to be admin of. Many many years ago RTP or "Rails to Trails" was a good thing for motorized recreationists. I see little evidence of that same support now.

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND

Having the attitude that it's to late and there's nothing we can do is frankly weak and cowardly. We can do something i believe and at least the folks above are making an effort. To chime in and say what ur doin is worthless and has no merit is extremely worthless as you offer no alternative. Perhaps you could enlighten the gents on the best way to proceed or shall we sit bak and watch our public lands disappear one after the other... Something is better than nothing

O
Dec 6, 2007
Having the attitude that it's to late and there's nothing we can do is frankly weak and cowardly. We can do something i believe and at least the folks above are making an effort. To chime in and say what ur doin is worthless and has no merit is extremely worthless as you offer no alternative. Perhaps you could enlighten the gents on the best way to proceed or shall we sit bak and watch our public lands disappear one after the other... Something is better than nothing

Well, it is really simple. What you do is ride the land that has been "closed" to sleds. The feds can not possible enforce these illegal closures. Once we become enough of a pain in their posterior, they will be forced to deal with US as a user group.

So far, the greenies have been the squeaky whell tht has been getting all the grease. They lie and cheat to steal lands from us. Until you are willing to play dirty, like they do, you will continue to lose land. Sledders mourn the loss of land but never truely stand up.

Your letters are NOT working. You can call me a defeatist if you like. I would be willing to bet I spent more time energy and money than you trying to work with the greenies and the USFS/BLM over a period of five years. They continue to make closures. It simply does not work and, as I suspected, you could not articulate how it helps, you needed to transfer your anger towards me instead, talk about pathetic.

The answer is civil disobedience. Anything less is a waste of time.

O
Dec 6, 2007

Whats the matter? Too cowardly to participate in a real solution? Probably best you sit back and write letters....LOL

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Whats the matter? Too cowardly to participate in a real solution? Probably best you sit back and write letters....LOL

Two wrongs don't make a right, just because one kid cuts in line doesn't mean you must follow his example, or fuel his fire by showing him what he did was ok. If he want's to cheat and take the easy way out, be my guest. Just an FYI, in the time it took you to reply to this thread you could have probably written two letters. If senators receive ~25 calls or letters in a day about a certain issue, it is noted. I can't help that you don't want to simply write two letters, however that doesn't give you the right to rain on whoever does make that choice. If someone wants to believe that their two letters will matter, then let them believe that. If you feel the need to say our letters don't help then fine that's your opinion, however do you really think that if nobody called or mailed our senators that they could know whether or not we care about the issue? If we don't write letters who will, and if we don't care, who will?

O
Dec 6, 2007
Two wrongs don't make a right, just because one kid cuts in line doesn't mean you must follow his example, or fuel his fire by showing him what he did was ok. If he want's to cheat and take the easy way out, be my guest. Just an FYI, in the time it took you to reply to this thread you could have probably written two letters.

How about a lesson about bullies. If you do not stand up to a bully, he will only grow stronger and take more. As to the "easy way out", now that there is humor. You are trying to tell me that writing a letter is the more difficult choice that disobeying the current laws? Interesting take....

I have written hundreds of letters. I used to believe like you do, however, I found out how long this has been going on longer than you have been alive. Tell me about the last time sledders writing letters saved a substantial riding area. Stay tuned for the sounds of silence....

If senators receive ~25 calls or letters in a day about a certain issue, it is noted. I can't help that you don't want to simply write two letters, however that doesn't give you the right to rain on whoever does make that choice. If someone wants to believe that their two letters will matter, then let them believe that.

Please explain to me how it helps to allow people to think that their efforts have merit, when in fact, they do not? I personally think most people prefer that their efforts actually make a difference. I absolutely have every right to rain on whatever parade I like, who are you to tell me different? Sounds like you are no better than the folks you purport to take on....

If you feel the need to say our letters don't help then fine that's your opinion, however do you really think that if nobody called or mailed our senators that they could know whether or not we care about the issue? If we don't write letters who will, and if we don't care, who will?

Another reality check here for ya bud.... your senators DONT CARE about your letters, or recreationsl land use in general. It doesn't bring and money to their campaigns, nor do most who vote, have any care for land use. You are taking a pretty naive stance there regarding our high elected officials, you really think they care?

Look, people naturally get upset when they are told they are wasting their time, just like in this thread. Unfortunately for your side of the argument though, letter writing has proven utterly useless in fighting land losses, so has calling and showing up for meetings. I understand that this may be news to you, and I understand it is upsetting to find out your efforts have been wasted. I am simply wanting to offer an alternative. I am doing so because I wasted five years of my life fighting this battle in earnest, not just to taunt you.

Fact is, the opposition LOVES guys like you. They will close the land, you will obey, what a perfect little world. You are being duped, sledders need to take a new tact. Don't like mine? Fine, I am open to suggestions. Just do not waste my time or that of others concerned about land rights with foolishness such as contacting elected officials. Unless of course you can list me just 5 victories over the last ten years using your method....

If you are serious about your rights, I encourage you to stop spinning your wheels on methods proven to fail.

Last edited:

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
I will agree with you on the fact that what they are doing is unfair to us, there is no question there. But how does it negate the fact that by riding on closed land is better then what they are doing? Doesn't that just give them more to use against us? All they have to do is see a rider riding past the wilderness boundary, and that's another point for them to use on us as to why we shouldn't have land. And I would like to think that some of our senators care because I'm sure that some of them hopefully at one point in their life were able to experience the beauty and freedom of the outdoors and the ability to go anywhere you could without being penalized. Yes this is a pretty radical idea, however I am sure that there are a couple, very few who have experienced this. Maybe our letters matter to them. I will admit that I don't write letters to every plea for help on land closure, I'm sure nobody does. But I still do not agree on the fact that if nobody wrote letters, they would have any idea as to how we feel on the issue. Whether they chose to ignore us or acknowledge us is their problem, and if they refuse to acknowledge us then they can go jump in a lake of the land they just closed.

One question I have is how can you consider 5 minutes of writing a letter wasted time (I'm not saying you are wrong,) when so many people waste hours that could be cumulative to days of their life on meaningless activities.. By this I mean we have all watched a video on YouTube and have had a thought somewhere along the lines of "Wow.. I wish I had those 5 minutes of my life back..." With so much wasted time what is 5 more "wasted" minutes?

I will also agree with you on the fact that they probably do love the fact that they can just push us around with no penalty, but I still believe that we are caught in a hard position as to what we do. Al Gore preaches to be green, especially when he takes his private jet to give all his stupid speeches about why, how, and other reasons. Perhaps there is no solution to this problem, but there is a right and a wrong way to go about it. Each and every person has an opinion and they all think that theirs is right, and if you tell a person that they are wrong, you yourself are even more wrong. It's all a misconstrued web of he said she said, with probably no end. But why can't we say there are multiple ways to the potential and hopeful solutions to this problem? You may very well have the best solution, I might too, and so might Jon Doe over there...

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
Well, it is really simple. What you do is ride the land that has been "closed" to sleds. The feds can not possible enforce these illegal closures. Once we become enough of a pain in their posterior, they will be forced to deal with US as a user group.

So far, the greenies have been the squeaky whell tht has been getting all the grease. They lie and cheat to steal lands from us. Until you are willing to play dirty, like they do, you will continue to lose land. Sledders mourn the loss of land but never truely stand up.

The answer is civil disobedience. Anything less is a waste of time.

----------------------------------------

At least this is a plan brother!!

You feel I have attacked you and I see your post as an attack on people trying to make a difference. I took a bit of offense to the fact that you were in essence helping to defeat a positive effort on our behalf. So I suppose we need civility and cohesion to make a difference.

Last edited:
O
Dec 6, 2007
At least this is a plan brother!!

You feel I have attacked you and I see your post as an attack on people trying to make a difference. I took a bit of offense to the fact that you were in essence helping to defeat a positive effort on our behalf. So I suppose we need civility and cohesion to make a difference.

This is a problem for the conservative folks in this country period. The libs will sell their souls to each other to gain just a foothold. That is why they are such a massive group, you have tree huggers, bunny huggers, rump rangers, carpet munchers and every other libby group jumping on the bandwagon regardless of the fact that the issue may not concern them at all.

We do not do this. We are a more independant lot each with our individual ideas and we have a HARD time coming together for a common cause, mostly because we actually have principles.

It is a tough fight. Riding closed areas does not give them any more or less ammo against us. If you don't do it, you will accused of it anyway, am I wrong? All I am telling you is that at one time I committed hard to this fight. I wrote weekly letters to our local small paper, I worked directly with the state club leadership, attened meetings, took pictures, submitted comments and even sat down face to face with the leader of the local opposition. He simply told me "we want it all", there is no compromising with these folks, that is simply the painful reality.

Choose the way you want to fight, I agree anything is better than nothing but I think the letter writing and "participation" in the process is a dead end, that is MY experience. I think you can find more stories like mine than success stories.

I ride with an old logger from Oregon. He fought this battle 20 years ago and lost, it is nothing new. Just know that if you are serious about maintaining your rights, the letter writing is very likely a complete waste of your efforts.

I would love to hear what actually works but, I don't think we have won any of these battles by trying to work within the process. I am open to suggestions....

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Hey Wyoultra I am writing a speech on how the National Forest Service should allow equal access to all outdoor enthusiasts.

I would like to use the information in your first post as part of an indictment about how funding is getting cut to the off road motorized vehicle groups to maintain trails and such and how its not fair. Do you have a source for the information you posted? Because I would need one in order to use that information thanks!

Also, is there an agency that is causing these harms? cuz I am using the national forest service, but I doubt it is them closing these lands down I just need an agency that needs to fix this stuff.

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Hey Wyoultra I am writing a speech on how the National Forest Service should allow equal access to all outdoor enthusiasts.

I would like to use the information in your first post as part of an indictment about how funding is getting cut to the off road motorized vehicle groups to maintain trails and such and how its not fair. Do you have a source for the information you posted? Because I would need one in order to use that information thanks!

Also, is there an agency that is causing these harms? cuz I am using the national forest service, but I doubt it is them closing these lands down I just need an agency that needs to fix this stuff.

The Information in my first post was all received through Email from a snowmobile club/friend of mine.. I believe I copied it all straight across from the email, but in case I put all of the Email's that I've received on the subject into Notepad documents (wouldn't upload in word for some reason..) in case they are useful to you.

If you cannot find anything on them, try just copying segments of the information into Google and see what comes up. Hope this helps, good luck!!!

Attachments

• RTP1.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 34
  • RTP Senator Letters.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Senators Responses.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 31
Premium Features