• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Reed Set Up volume 3

M-Head

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2010
Yakima, WA
I've been running stock 800 reeds all year, but I noticed the last couple of rides my sled has been hard starting when cold and a little spongy on the response. Is that typical behavior for a chipped reed? How are the Boyesen reeds for response compared to stock and are they the whole cage system or just the petals?

T

Tony skagen

Dec 17, 2010
What are some signs of broken or chipped reeds? Ive just bought a M8 rg turbo and had VOHK set up the boondocker box and have yet to see snow with it, but ran it in the grass a bit. Off idle seems blubbery or way to fat until about 5k then it pulls hard! It idles great,mid sucks,top end good. Should I be pulling the reeds or just working on the fuel curve?

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Well just did all my preseason checks an fixes. Sent the cam in an the boysen turbo reeds still look brand new after a whole season. So glad I don't gotta dig into the motor already this year.

G

Gobig510

Nov 26, 2010
Colorado
Boyesen Turbo Reeds

What are these "boyesen turbo reeds" people are using? On the boyesen website I only see "power reeds" "carbon tech" "rage cage" and "super stock". I haven't been able to find anything in their descriptions indicating specific turbo applications. What reeds are you labeling "turbo"?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
What are these "boyesen turbo reeds" people are using? On the boyesen website I only see "power reeds" "carbon tech" "rage cage" and "super stock". I haven't been able to find anything in their descriptions indicating specific turbo applications. What reeds are you labeling "turbo"?

I just put some in my sled to replace their regular carbon reeds I had in before. I have about 350km on mine and they work flawlessly, My exact setup is their rage cages, with their turbo reeds, and then reed stops. I had to email them directly for the reed stops and turbo reeds. I cant remember exactly what they are made of because I through away the packaging. For more info you need to talk to them directly, they are much stiffer then the carbon ones I had in before.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming

Right off of Boyesen's web site

yzuqy9yn.jpg

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
I have a used set to medium tension carbon tech reeds f/s.. I used them double stacked over the stock m reeds. Now am running a double stacked 1000 reed cut 7/8 inch off and only on the bottom side. top sides are the m1000 reeds. we'll see how it goes this year..

G

Gobig510

Nov 26, 2010
Colorado
by phone

Ok thanks. Seems as though they don't want to make it too easy for you and let you order from the website. Going to have to give them an old fashioned phone call.

Catman 42

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Yakima, WA
reeds reeds and more reeds

AC M7 bored to 8 13psi 100LL 6000'
I have used:
Stock 4 petal w stops any where from a few rides to a season.
Boyesen Power reeds w/o stops usually a season good response.

Carbon Tech hi tension w/o stops. Poor low end fueling/response. 2 rides & starting to fray.
Doubled up 1000 reeds no stops 2 rides & starting to fray.

I just installed Gus' recommended
stock 4 petal doubled with OVS stops good throttle response. I will be back to edit post after a few rides.:face-icon-small-win:clock:

M-Head

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2010
Yakima, WA
Been running stock M8 reeds with stock stops. Last for a few rides to half a season before the corners would start chipping. Just put in Boysen turbo petals with stock stops. We'll see how they do. 07 M8 w/ Cutler stage 2, running 10 lbs on straight 100ll.

M

Myzkoo

Sep 8, 2013
So what would be the most "up to date" reed setup? Im trying to figure out wich route to pick on my M7T. 800 HO reeds witch stockers stacked on bottom side? Boyesen turbo reeds? or metal reeds?

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
So what would be the most "up to date" reed setup? Im trying to figure out wich route to pick on my M7T. 800 HO reeds witch stockers stacked on bottom side? Boyesen turbo reeds? or metal reeds?
Don't forget Carbon Tech reeds. I believe the previous volumes of this thread spoke highly of those as well. I will have to go back and reread them.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Reed blocks out of an HO motor. They openings are more rounded than square. The HO reeds are thicker than the non HO. I feel the setup listed above is the best compromise for durability and response. In fact, I believe it gives up nothing in terms of bottom end response, but the durability increase I have found has been impressive.

Premium Features