• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why everyone selling vipers??

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Even with the weight difference (It'll always be there with the 3 cylinder 4 stroke engine), I think Yammi could START to get back into the game if they offered a stock boosted option...with warranty. It's gonna make them even heavier but at least they would have the power to go with the weight. And as mentioned before, reliability

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
thought real hard about selling it and getting a Cat 800. I personally like the Cat handling. My Viper was stock all this winter ( except clutching ) and didnt know if spending all the money on a turbo would be worth it, but the Viper is still here and my turbo is being shipped. Fred

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Rebuild? Let me ask you this. How often do you rebuild the engine in your truck?... exactly. :face-icon-small-coo

Uh, no? Would LOVE to see a single snowmobile engine of any brand name or configuration with near 300,000 miles. Its simply never going to happen. Especially turbocharged. Think of it this way, a GM smallblock produces around 250-300 HP on average, depending on model year and whatnot, turbo nytro between 200-300 depending on kit specs and whatnot. But here is where the chink in your statement lies: smallblock weighs in at over 500 pounds, nytro engine around 125 pounds....to say its as reliable as a car or truck? Nope. Sorry. More so than a 2 stroke, yeah, most of them. But there again, horsepower density is higher in the 2 stroke. More power out of a lighter package will ALWAYS equal shorter lifespan.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Uh, no? Would LOVE to see a single snowmobile engine of any brand name or configuration with near 300,000 miles. Its simply never going to happen. Especially turbocharged. Think of it this way, a GM smallblock produces around 250-300 HP on average, depending on model year and whatnot, turbo nytro between 200-300 depending on kit specs and whatnot. But here is where the chink in your statement lies: smallblock weighs in at over 500 pounds, nytro engine around 125 pounds....to say its as reliable as a car or truck? Nope. Sorry. More so than a 2 stroke, yeah, most of them. But there again, horsepower density is higher in the 2 stroke. More power out of a lighter package will ALWAYS equal shorter lifespan.
Very true points regarding power density. Also, on a smallblock you have 5x the displacement to make the power so your working components so much less hard. food for thought.

I think the big thing is not HOW long a sled motor lasts in miles, but how long it lasts as a function of the chassis deterioration. I know i have hammered chassis' and the motor still is going strong. If a motor is still going good and the rivets and bushings in a sled are totally clapped out (in a normal milage range) im a happy dude. Also thinking about how much you can actually ride. I know a killer season for me is 2k+ miles. So after 4-5 seasons were now up to just under 10k miles and a yamaha motor if the oil is taken care of should be ripping strong, even boosted. At this point who cares if the motor is working good, chassis is outdated and most likely very worn so sled is of minimal value.

Reliability is relative to the expected lifespan of a vehicle and its designed usage.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador

It was a figure of speech not meant to be taken literally.

However, if we are really going to get into it... A snowmobile engine spends the majority of its life at a much higher rpm than a 'truck' This is what leads to its demise more so than horsepower density.

The guy was merely asking about rebuilding a Viper with a turbo. I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say the majority of snowmobile riders out there will never have to worry about this. However if you are in fact worried about needing to rebuild a 4 stroke because of high mileage, then you are probably a master of rebuilding 2 strokes and decent at spinning wrenches anyways.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I had a boosted RX1 that I ran for 4 seasons around 8000 miles sold it and it is still running strong last I heard. Also had a Apex with a supercharger same thing it ran boost for 3 seasons had 2 seasons normally aspirated on it so about the same milage new owner 16 years old having a ball with it. The only thing that kills them is detonation (Good Fuel!!) as long as everything is set up and works well they go longer than any of us ever use a single sled.
By the way these engines are somewhat more sophisticated than a chevy:face-icon-small-con As a matter of fact I would consider it an insult to even compare them --yes I worked on both.

Premium Features