• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 M-TX Viper

montananate

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
Great Falls, MT
So long very sad story short I need (yes need) a reliable sled for this season to get my nephew out sledding. Found a Brand new 2016 viper with 190 miles on the clock for a hell of a deal. Researching the here it looks like bad rods are pretty common in 2016. Need a turn key sled so I can get back to the mountains don’t want to buy a sled and have to throw parts at it to be able to ride it. Always have had a soft spot for the the yami four stroke reliability. Help please.

X
Oct 8, 2009
You can take the VIN to a dealer and ask them if the engine is good or bad, meaning it has weak rods. They can tell you if the engine is an early build (good) or not. Alternatively, the prior post hits the issue on the head. Weak rods is only a problem when you turn up the power using a turbo. The issue arises because of improper heat treatment of the rods, leading to a lower yield strength curve for the rods. Without a turbo, it is very unlikely you can reach the point where the rod fails. That takes quite a bit more power. Just keep the revs in the factory operating range.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
If my memory is correct, you can tell if it has the early or late engine by looking at the valve cover gasket. On the early engines the valve cover gasket will have two rubber half moons on the end of the cylinder head. While the valve cover to head mating surface is flat (no half moons) on the latter engines.
X3 on the latter engine, usually only an issue if you turbo it.

X
Oct 8, 2009
If my memory is correct, you can tell if it has the early or late engine by looking at the valve cover gasket. On the early engines the valve cover gasket will have two rubber half moons on the end of the cylinder head. While the valve cover to head mating surface is flat (no half moons) on the latter engines.
X3 on the latter engine, usually only an issue if you turbo it.
You're correct 100%. I assumed the original poster doesn't know how to check for that, so I default to ask the dealer. In case I made the wrong assumption, here is a reference photo of the good motor. The black half circles in the valve cover gasket are the half moons the prior post is referring to.

20220722_173818.jpg

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Another note with the stock motor - somewhere between 500 and 800 miles you'll probably see in increase in a couple hundred RPM at WOT as the engine breaks in. Typically a non-issue but you may end up having to add some clutch weight to bring it back down to ~8750 and off the rev limiter.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Another note with the stock motor - somewhere between 500 and 800 miles you'll probably see in increase in a couple hundred RPM at WOT as the engine breaks in. Typically a non-issue but you may end up having to add some clutch weight to bring it back down to ~8750 and off the rev limiter.
Yes, mine did. Seemed like it was around a 1000 miles when added another gram to the primary weights due to a slight bump in horsepower:)

Premium Features