• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sled size for 7 and 8 year old boys

R
Mar 9, 2009
Polaris Indy Lite 340

This is what i grew up on. I didn't start quite as young as them but it's a good sled if you don't plan on goin in too deep of powder. although i've had it in about 1.5-2 feet of it at least a couple times:)

S

slojoe13

May 6, 2008
Westminster, CO
me and a friend had our boys ridin an AC 370 last year at 6 and 7yrs old and they did great. this year i bought an AC mc500 136 and he bought his boy a M5 141. but they both started on a kitty cat and a mini z when they were about 3.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Find an old heavy '93 AC 580 flat tracker and let 'em ride 2-up...they'll have a blast slidin' that thing around the corners...ours did. Never laughed so hard watchin' them high markin' the banks coming down the roads, then runnin' through the ditches and snow just flyin' over their heads. Fun ages! :beer;

H
Nov 27, 2009
Moving up to tweener sleds

We moved our two kids to a 340 Polaris Classic. They are 14 &15 now & can now handle a 600. We have two identical ones for sale on this site...look for "Perfect Tweener Sled's - 2005 340 Polaris Classic"

S
Dec 8, 2008
Eagle Point, Oregon
I agree with the 340. fast enough to keep up on trails but not a ball buster that can get them in trouble. My 7 and 9 are now on skidoo 380's. started them both up on a 90 polaris indy 340 at the age of 5. My 7 year old rocks. He can keep up with me almost any where, well when I am just screwing around, not really riding. He can nearly highmark as high as my 800. Darn him since he only weights 60 pounds. Only problem is when you have a huge dump. the 121's don't take it as well even with a light rider on. less than a foot and your fine, more than be prepared to help dig.

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Look for a modded up 120 or a snoscoot/snosport for learning and riding around the yard. They will be ready to ride a full size sled with a few weeks of playing on a yard toy.

Then put them in full size sleds such as the 340's others have mentioned. Buy something older and inexpensive. You'll be looking to resell them and move up before you know it.

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
Our daughter started riding the old pogo style phazer when she was 8, prior to that she was riding with mom & dad (what fun that was - not):p. The phazer is a great sled to learn on also. She graduated from the phazer to the SRX Mtn Max 700 until last year when she (now 16) bought a used 08 Nytro. Of which, she is wanting to sell this year and buy an apex, but she'll be keeping the nytro for a while. ;) T She can rally with us without any problems.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Another one for the 340, my son started on one at 7 he road the track off of it for two yrs. we up graded him this last spring. His polaris 340 had rev. electic start, after the first half of his first season he could start it with no problems. Never had any problems with it what so ever, not even a belt.

Mtn-Track

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
N/E, CO & GL, CO
My son is about to turn 9. He has been on this '02 Indy 340 for the last 3 years. I did some track, clutch and suspension mods to it and now he's riding my Viper Mountain bumper all day long! Never wasted our time with the little yard toys....;)

Rawah+Snomo+091 (Small).jpg

R
Jan 3, 2008
my 8 year old grandson runs his et250 has a bolt in the flipper , he can carve and side hill with it , I told him when he can take the bolt out he's ready

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
I put my kid on a 550 RMK trail @ age 8(it was his first sled).... It's been a little too big for him for learning reasons all thou our last ride last season he put on 32 miles. If I had it to do over again I'd buy either a ski-doo 380 (hard to find) or a AC 500. He is NOT overly big either 4'1" & about 52lbs. If you can't find either of these sleds I'd really look for polaris 340.

C
Nov 29, 2008
If its their first sled then Sno Sport would be ideal - especially long tracked as the Eros are very close to new style sleds. If the kids are big / strong / sensible then the fan 250 to 370 cc sleds should work.
You can always put a block of foam or rubber behind the throttle to limit speed while they are learning to ride - even a 340 can be quick especilally with a light weight rider. The old fans tend to run for quite a while without many issues plus they are cheap to buy. Biggest drawback to the old fan sleds is the rider position but you can do a cheap seat and bar mod to set it up more like the new style sleds.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Grandpa picked up a kitty cat for my son when he was 5. Rode it for one winter. I guess it was a good sled for him just to learn the dynamics. Throttle and brake... This year I bought him an enticer 250. Nice little machine. Simple, reliable, and light. Thought long and hard about a 120 but imo over priced for their capabilities. Depends on how much you want to pay. Sno scoot is a nice machine as well. Friend bought his boy one and is loving it. $1500. I have $400 into the enticer with no regrets. At a young age it is more about teaching them to respect the sled and throttle/brake control. Couple years he will be ready for a M5 then the technical end of it begins. MY $.02

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
7-8 yrs old iOS too old for a 120 IMO. Looks like a clown bike under a kid that is much over 50 lbs. and unless it's modded up you can't take it or them anywhere but the parking lot for the most part.
Having never ridden before they will need to take it slow at first in open areas and then it's all about how well your kids take to driving things. Some kids will not get the throttle and brake concept some kids are all over it.
My 11 yo started on an old 81 Cat 440 when he was 8 and this year on an older 550 RMK. He's small only like 65 lbs but can handle any full size sled except starting it or pulling it up on edge. Not big enough to lay it over and carve.
My 7 yo just started on a SkiDoo 380 this year and is pretty comfortable on it as well.
I long tracked both kids sleds 144 under the RMK and a 136 by 16 under the Doo and they run well in deep snow with the little ones riding them. A lot less stucks than a 121 trail track.
I'd look for either old fan sleds like Enticers, bravos, phazers or Indy lite340, cat puma etc.

C
Nov 29, 2008
7-8 yrs old iOS too old for a 120 IMO. Looks like a clown bike under a kid that is much over 50 lbs. and unless it's modded up you can't take it or them anywhere but the parking lot for the most part.
Having never ridden before they will need to take it slow at first in open areas and then it's all about how well your kids take to driving things. Some kids will not get the throttle and brake concept some kids are all over it.
My 11 yo started on an old 81 Cat 440 when he was 8 and this year on an older 550 RMK. He's small only like 65 lbs but can handle any full size sled except starting it or pulling it up on edge. Not big enough to lay it over and carve.
My 7 yo just started on a SkiDoo 380 this year and is pretty comfortable on it as well.
I long tracked both kids sleds 144 under the RMK and a 136 by 16 under the Doo and they run well in deep snow with the little ones riding them. A lot less stucks than a 121 trail track.
I'd look for either old fan sleds like Enticers, bravos, phazers or Indy lite340, cat puma etc.
OP mentioned that the kids had NEVER ridden before.
Most 120's are pint sized ... the Snow Scoot / Sno Sports are 2/3 size machines. Our Sports are as fast as the 250 cc bravos which is plenty fast for kids. The riding positions was waaaayyyy ahead of its time and is real close to the position on most new chassis. With a long track & plastic skis its hard to believe that that they are 20+ year old 125 cc sleds!

R
Jun 14, 2008
Southern Idaho
My granddaughter rode with me and parents form about 5 to 7. At 7 I bought a used 1991 Phaser 2 with a 136 track for her. Shes been riding it for 2 years now and its a great sled for her. Its fan cooled which is a plus for weight and cooling. She loves it and it goes great in the deeper snow. Right now I'm going to put a deeper lug track on it. For a alround sled its been a great kids sled. She handles it great and really enjoyes it. I did get rid of the crapy metal skis for plasyic ones. In my book its a great kids starter sled.

L
Apr 30, 2010
N/E AB
I think most people miss the fact that it's not how much sled the kids can handle but more how much sled the kid can handle on top of them! The weight of the sled and amount of damage should be the concern.
Example is a bud of mine was quadding with his 12yr old, the son was on a 500HO. He rolled the quad suffering internal injuries, my bud was later charged by the police for allowing a minor to operate a full size machine. Have since found out same applies to sleds in AB.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Really need to use your best judgement - kids can and do have different levels of physical ability and some are just better able to handle responsibility better than others. some small kids are mature but lack the physical ability - others have physical ability but have less sense than they were born with.
Best to err on the side of caution because when things start to go wrong it tends to do so before you can intervene and often with harmful consequences.

Premium Features