• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aux Fuel tank Ktm 450

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So I have seen it on here before... I believe.... someone used a boat gas tank and then ran the line into the cap of the bike to feed it fuel.... Am I remembering this right... Does someone have direction on how this would work?

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
I think it was maybe a 2 stroke and they used a sled fuel pump that runs off crankcase pulses to transfer the fuel or something along those lines?

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
It is a ktm 4 stroke. I ride with him. No extra pump. I think he runs it into the gas cap breather hole and thats it. I'll text him today to make sure.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
It is a ktm 4 stroke. I ride with him. No extra pump. I think he runs it into the gas cap breather hole and thats it. I'll text him today to make sure.
That would be awesome since that is what I have

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015

Cool, should be able to make that work with any gas can if you build a standpipe into it.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So the 5 gallon tuff jug fits like a glove ...
5a11462364085b535671f2ad46cb0343.jpg

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
So I have seen it on here before... I believe.... someone used a boat gas tank and then ran the line into the cap of the bike to feed it fuel.... Am I remembering this right... Does someone have direction on how this would work?
I bet the new generation snow bikes will have a fuel cell built into the tunnel with low center gravity and the tank will become a heated from motor storage compartment.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
just remember those "race jugs" don't have a locking ring, and when that cap comes off (and it will), it will dump gallons of fuel on your bike, near the hot exhaust. you don't worry about the liquid... you worry about the fumes. locking rings for the win! Ski

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I appreciate the warning good point ... But I have not had one come loose staying in my van 24-7.. maybe the bike vibes will be worse? I have had better luck with these jugs than vp.... ... realistically it would have to come loose within a couple of hours before I am emptying...

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
Ski, is the cap coming off a Tuff Jug issue - or is that a blanket statement towards all of the quick fill jugs? I just bought my first Tuff Jug for this season and it hasn't been filled yet so I have no experience with it.

Mine has a tab that needs to be pushed to "open" the spout that takes some effort, so I'm hoping that keeps it from dumping the gas out as I ride. Are you speaking more about the whole cap coming loose?

Please elaborate.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I can tell you this mine has been transported side4ways many times on atv's vehicles never an issue... Mototrax sells them to use and mount sideways have yet to have an issue unless the oring unseats...

Ski, is the cap coming off a Tuff Jug issue - or is that a blanket statement towards all of the quick fill jugs? I just bought my first Tuff Jug for this season and it hasn't been filled yet so I have no experience with it.

Mine has a tab that needs to be pushed to "open" the spout that takes some effort, so I'm hoping that keeps it from dumping the gas out as I ride. Are you speaking more about the whole cap coming loose?

Please elaborate.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Wow those lock rings have a real purpose? I really thought those things were invented by a beurocrat behind a desk in the EPA who never poured gas from a jug in his life.
I always cut them off because they are a pima. Even my old kx500 couldn't jiggle one off but I guess anything is possible.
I did have one come loose and leak a little but that was after my mountain addiction can flew off in the whoops and tumbled down the trail.

E
Dec 19, 2007
This boat tank comes with the stand pipe and has a molded sump area in the front so it shouldn't suck as much air when the fuel sloshes . it's long and low to keep fuel weight closer to the cg.

KIMG0021.jpg

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
I appreciate the warning good point ... But I have not had one come loose staying in my van 24-7.. maybe the bike vibes will be worse? I have had better luck with these jugs than vp.... ... realistically it would have to come loose within a couple of hours before I am emptying...

carrying around in a van, or in a trailer, upright does not equate to carrying on the back of a snowbike, hucking off drops, bouncing down the trail, and repeated vibrations that would rattle fillings loose, riding on or offtrail.

like I said, your results may vary. personally, I wouldn't run any can without a locking ring. Ski

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
carrying around in a van, or in a trailer, upright does not equate to carrying on the back of a snowbike, hucking off drops, bouncing down the trail, and repeated vibrations that would rattle fillings loose, riding on or offtrail.

like I said, your results may vary. personally, I wouldn't run any can without a locking ring. Ski
Man you don't know how I drive seriously though it does not sit upright... But I will keep an eye on it...

Premium Features