• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finally got them mtn cats

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Why did they change the drive shaft?

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
You must have got early release sleds. The ER Mountain Cats have the steel drive shaft the produce sleds are supported to have alum. Unless something has changed again.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Has to be an ER. Got mine in June, has aluminum driveshaft. My dealer still has no 162s in, just 153s

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
No aluminum driveshaft? I've had mine for over a month and it has an aluminum driveshaft. Mine also has half the rivets yours does in the top of the tunnel for the tail light channel.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

mine only has 2 rivets in center of tunnel also (got mine in february). never really looked at my driveshaft yet.

Krause09

Premium Member
Feb 1, 2016
Washington
Huh, so would it be worth while putting in the aluminum drive? We got killer deals on these so I keep telling myself! Wonder if the tunnels are different then the production?

Krause09

Premium Member
Feb 1, 2016
Washington
Stamp on tag says built 1/17, eb mountain cat, also have a diamond s mfg quiet can On order! Belt drive or no? Also my dealer called cat and asked about shafts, he told me production sleds were gonna be built the same as eb!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i wouldnt sweat the unproven al. driveshaft thing. what gas tank do you have?
even cat "production manager" gives contradictory info from what the spec sheets say on production MCs posted here earlier (smaller tank capacity). guy looks plenty book smart, just not sure on everything he says
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIVyXEWICTc

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
The tunnel behind the seat is flimsy as hell. Seems like it will dent easy. I noticed the aluminum holding the brake light wiring to the tunnel is missing rivets right where it will dent most easily on the top of the tunnel. I'm going to put in a couple more rivets in the empty holes in the aluminum wiring holder there as it will stiffen the tunnel up more.

Premium Features