• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2022 KTM 500EXCF Gearing

S
Nov 14, 2020
Finally got my 500 on the snow this season. I'm curious what others have found works for gearing. I find 1st is pretty useless, along with 5th and 6th. If I get into any deep powder 4th is useless.

So far I primarily ride in 2nd and 3rd and have found myself on the Rev limiter more often.

Currently on a 13t front sprocket, started with a 14t. Using a TKI belt drive kit.

Mods on the bike:
- Airforce intake
- Graves exhaust
- GET ECU

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Sowa, fwiw, I also have a 22 500. Open exhaust, airforce intake and vortex. I also have an 18 exc 500 similar mods. Both have stock front sprocket. I find I like this transmission because the low first is easy on the clutch for take of and when stuck. It does not stall or require slipping when riding slow in the trees. 2nd and 3rd work good for climbing. I can carry 6th on the trail below 8000 feet. Above 8000 5th works good. Resistance and elevation determine what gear works. I like the options of the 6 speed. I've spent considerable time on a 450sx and three hundred hours on a good setup 450fx and I much prefer the 6 to those 5 speeds. But, opinions vary. I don't recall anyone on here doing gearing mods to the 6 speed trans but, maybe someone has tried something different and will comment.

S
Nov 14, 2020
Sowa, fwiw, I also have a 22 500. Open exhaust, airforce intake and vortex. I also have an 18 exc 500 similar mods. Both have stock front sprocket. I find I like this transmission because the low first is easy on the clutch for take of and when stuck. It does not stall or require slipping when riding slow in the trees. 2nd and 3rd work good for climbing. I can carry 6th on the trail below 8000 feet. Above 8000 5th works good. Resistance and elevation determine what gear works. I like the options of the 6 speed. I've spent considerable time on a 450sx and three hundred hours on a good setup 450fx and I much prefer the 6 to those 5 speeds. But, opinions vary. I don't recall anyone on here doing gearing mods to the 6 speed trans but, maybe someone has tried something different and will comment.

That's interesting. Even on a groomed trail I can't really hold 5th. I'm wondering if I have a different problem than gearing.

Anyone else running a tacomoto.co map on their GET ECU?

Tom from TKI recommended going from 30/30 on the belt drive to 30/31. Think I might pick up a 31t pulley and give that a shot. Might make 3rd and 4th more usable.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
That's interesting. Even on a groomed trail I can't really hold 5th. I'm wondering if I have a different problem than gearing.

Anyone else running a tacomoto.co map on their GET ECU?

Tom from TKI recommended going from 30/30 on the belt drive to 30/31. Think I might pick up a 31t pulley and give that a shot. Might make 3rd and 4th more usable.
I run the 30/31 with my 450 sxf however I also run a 13/18 primary drive and really like it.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Sowa, I should have mentioned that both my bikes are on yeti kits. Both have the stock gearing on the bikes and on the yeti kits. one is a 22 yeti and the other a 16. I notice a considerable difference with elevation, I ride a few spots around 7,000 ft and on a groomed trail I can carry 6th. I climb alot in 3rd but, I only weight 160.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
I run a 2013 KTM 500 exc with a 2021 Riot 120 kit. When I installed the kit I eliminated the bike to kit rubbing block and put a 15 tooth on the bike to 18 on the kit, that allows the chain to miss the swing arm bolt and eliminates drag and a lot of un necessary vibration, then run 17 top 18 bottom chain case, that gives me a 13 1/4" track run out. Works for me, I like the 1st gear when I need it loading or grinding up out of a stuck pit, I use 6th a lot heading back to the truck in late after noon.

Premium Features