• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

May be coming to Cedar City Utah from Iowa

Chapman

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Milford Ia
Hey guys
Boss called last week and said something about moving me out to Utah for a while for work. I would be staying in Cedar City and working near Milford. From reading some of the threads it doesnt sound like the snow is great out there right now. Is there any riding close to Cedar City? How is the town? What is there to do out there? Is it worth bringing my sled out? What is the terrain out there? Anything you guys could tell me would be great. Thanks!

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
It is definitely worth bringing the sled out. I like Cedar City. Not a huge town but has most conveniences. There is some great riding around Beaver just north of Cedar City and also up near Brian Head / Cedar Breaks. They actually have more snow down there than we do up here and the last few winters down there have been huge snowfalls. I would bring the sled out and take advantage of it. Oh yeah, the mountain riding down there will be anywhere from 7000 - 11,000ft elevation, so if you have a carbed sled make sure to get it jetted and clutched for the elevation.

S
Oct 22, 2008
Cedar City, UT
Chapman

I live in Cedar City and snowmobile here and Fairview quite often. I agree with Mtnpull that you should definitely bring your sled. There is a good trail system on Cedar Mtn. If you go to snowut.com (Utah Snowmobile Assoc. website) you can find a link to a trail map of hte Cedar/Duck Creek complex.

You will not get into the deep powder canyon areas like you will in other parts of the state but the views at Cedar Breaks Natl Monument and Zions are great. I have found some really fun areas to play the more seasons I spend down here too. I have heard the Beaver moutain area is fantastic and I plan on getting there this year. We have had some snow but still not enough yet. I already hit a stump pretty hard and busted the sled up a bit in what was supposed to be a "road ride"

The only way to access the Mtn this year is through Brain Head Ski area since teh road up Cedar Canyon is closed all winter due to a slide. I think you would like the area though.

Do you have a trail/swtichback type sled or a deep powder sled? Obviously it might make a difference where you would like to go. I suppose from your picture that you must be involved with the windmills near Milford. Quite a few of them.

Let me know if you have anymore questions or if you want me to show some of the areas to ride. I don't know the moutain inside and out but I know some good places to ride. BTW, I love Cedar City. Not too big and you can get everything you need. Warm St. George is only a 45 min drive too!

Chapman

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Milford Ia
Thanks for the info guys! Ive got a '12 m8 and have been itching to put some miles on it. I've been riding out west for 5 or so years now-cooke, bighorns, snowies. I've got a beacon, shovel, probe, and avy training so i'm not a complete newb. Keep the info coming!

S
Oct 22, 2008
Cedar City, UT
Oh yes. With that set-up and the areas you have been you are definitely no noob. You should have fun with the new M8 and the Beaver Mtn area is probably the place to test its capabilities. Let me know when you come to town by PM or something. I would like to see how that M8 does.

I am waiting for the carnage on my sled to be fixed and then I'm gonna try to see what the mtn looks like this weekend. Then I am heading to Fairview next week a little. I am not too excited since the snow looks to be bad right now. But a few days in the cabin will be alright too. I will give you an update of what the conditions look like with possibly some pics. Good luck with your move out here.

B

BearClaw

Dec 12, 2010
Riverton, Ut
Definitely bring the sled

Some years the snowfall is best in Utah comes January through March. There should be alot of good riding ahead. I live in SLC but grew up in Cedar City. Was in Cedar City yesterday to visit my parents and there is definitly more snow in Cedar than in the northern part of the State. I usually ride around Fairview, but have had a few great trips in the Cedar Breaks and Duck Creek areas. The best sledding is still ahead. Defininitly bring the sled!!!

Premium Features