• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbike projects lets see them # 2

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
yes but if you were to put a sled engine in a bike it would probably be a lot lighter then a snowhawk and new snowhawks have a base price of$16,000 AND used snowhawks are almost non-existent

That price isn't any different that what a new bike and kit costs ?

You can't compare these machines , all it will do is start a fight . They have their own strengths and weaknesses .

Maybe it could loose a few pounds but then when you cart wheel or flip it it'll be a yard sale instead of getting back up walking over and doing it again .

Maybe I'm that crappy of a rider but they would have to give me a new sled every year because there wouldn't be anything left of it .

B

burnz

Jan 7, 2013
Nanton, Alberta
would flipping really be a problem? snowests yamaha 450 is pushing 110 hp, i dont mean to compare directly and a used bike is easier to find then a used snow hawk and more then $5,000 grand cheaper in most cases not always but most of the time. it just seems to me like if one were fairly inclined they could build a snowbike for fairly cheap and have a pretty damned good machine

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Snow Hawks take impacts like dirt bikes in their natural element which says quite a bit since dirt bikes have had years to perfect frames , there is no way a sled can survive any impact that the one skis can dish out .

It might be better to take one of these new sleds and eliminate the A-arm and put forks threw it . One of the advantages that the Snow Hawk has is that the drive shaft is in front of the driver , that is why it is so nimble with such a big foot print . The only problem with that idea is that the sled frame would crater under the abuse in a short time .

Someone will do it .

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Another project

At the end of last riding season my riding partner and I started building three more conversions and have two ready for powdercoat and final assembly.

one will go on my YZ250
Orange kit will go on 450 KTM
black kit likely on my wr450

No rush we have bikes to ride, projected on sno 12 10 13 bought on target if hunting goes well. One of those work all weekend then leave it for 3 weeks, then hit it again after rounding up parts.
Nothing out of the ordinary. All three 136, like that setup on the kit I built two years ago.

Arctic cat m suspension with coil over shocks like 010 M's. Should be fun.
I'll post when we have orange and blue units.

6 13 frame in jig.JPG 9 27 13  frame.JPG 9 27 13 frame sus on bench.JPG 3 ski mounts underconstruction 9 13.JPG 9 27 13 mikes track cut.JPG 9 8 13 first assemble from side.jpg 10 7 13 ktm no dan.JPG 9 27 13 front sus arm.JPG

Last edited:
E

eskimojoe77

Nov 30, 2011
Ez-Ryde Snowbike

Unfortunately I am a little behind schedule, (today was the first real snow) but progress is being made. I've got the tunnel sides cut out. but the backbone/framework is not yet started. I'll attack that this coming week. Should move pretty quickly from here on out. But I am still waiting on my 38mm Smartcarb so I guess that buys me a reprieve. Trying to think a little bit outside the Timbersled box, but not get too wild to where I have to work on it more than I ride it.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
One down two to go

One kit back from powder coat and ready to go, just got to put get powdercoated big footpegs on here.

One picture shows the adjustable link lying on floor that we are going to run for month or so unitl we determine optimum ride configuration for the strut.

Blue bike at powdercoat now.

11 16 13  ktm complete right front.JPG 11 16 13 ktm rt rear w link on fl.JPG 11 16 13  dan w bike putting in link.JPG

M
Mar 14, 2012
Hey that looks great!!! One question though, why is the bottem of the tunnel serrated. It looks a little scary. And how does the skid work. Is it pretty light weight.

Hey I think you just came up with a great way to check your track sag, not lifting required. Just a buddy and a camera!

Last edited:

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
here is my revamped ride for this year.
bike: 2012 yz450f
engine mods: gytr cams and gytr high compression piston
exhaust: full fmf system
track: 136x12x2
drivers: 9 tooth 2.52
rear suspension: Polaris rmk 2005 era using torsion springs off arctic cat 440
drive chains: renthal r3-2 520 o ring
gearing: primary 13-17 or 18 secondary 17-20
brake: bike stock front caliper on jackshaft
ski: homemade jnl snowhawk with deuce bar
other goodies: Cyclops 610 led light and trail tech voyager gps / computer Baja designs led taillight and brake light with pressure switch

still to do: chaincase cover, and intake mods
found a little snow to test but not much!

IMG_1531.jpg IMG_1533.jpg IMG_1534.jpg IMG_1535.jpg photo (3).JPG

Last edited:

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I appreciate that nick! Its still nothing like what u guys make and castledman, screech j&l and eskimojoe but somehow mine do work pretty well. I hope to meet u this year and rip it up! any snow reports from u? storm castle or tepee road? t roots I need to find at least 2 feet on a road! Portal? I plan to go to meet j&l in cooke day after thanksgiving anybody wanna come?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
im wrapping up my new shop so I need to focus on finishing all my drywall right now so i can move tools in, but i do have my bike and part of my old kit loaded up to blend into a new one here in the next few weeks. got all the hard parts, just fabbing up a new spindle and a new suspension linkage and im ready to hit the snow.

if all else fails i got my trusty rev in the barn to go ride!

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
got my engine completely enclosed and air intakes done. made a big ugly chain cover so my leg doesn't get shredded. ktm thermostat installed. Took it for a rip yesterday temps would range from 160 hauling butt and up to 210 when stopped or going slow. In my opinion this is the only way to stay problem free till spring. U can always take off a panel and stick it under the gas can if u are running hot. Thanks to j&l snowhawk for the original idea.

GOPR7948.jpg GOPR7949.jpg GOPR7950.jpg GOPR7951.jpg GOPR7968.jpg GOPR7969.jpg GOPR7970.jpg

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Not a homebuilt kit but still a project LOL !

Snowbike-13-17.jpg

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
ready to run

i think this one is ready
so i got a home built kit 121 hawk track
pod filter kit that i sell for snowbikes
installed a yamaha raptor thermostat 10$ off ebay
custom skid plate and engine shrouds with very good fit. I can sell these too have patterns for 09 kx450 and the o8 rmz and 12 500 ktm
just got 2 more of my custom skis put together today
use a voyager gauge and cyclops adventure light for the rmz
rotopax gas cans. these things are awesome units i can hook u up with these too!

vegas trip and snowbike build 2013 525.JPG vegas trip and snowbike build 2013 526.JPG vegas trip and snowbike build 2013 527.JPG vegas trip and snowbike build 2013 528.JPG vegas trip and snowbike build 2013 529.JPG vegas trip and snowbike build 2013 530.JPG vegas trip and snowbike build 2013 531.JPG

Premium Features