• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Scott 89Xi Light Sensitive TurboFlow Goggles

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
89xi kick much a$$. I prefer an amber lense over the light sensitive but that is a personal preference. I have had the pair I have now for two seasons and have never had a fogging issue.

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
or try 509's with the polarized lens. Makes everything 20 times more clear and vibrant and you can stare at the sun. although it's not recomended

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
My advice is to go to a shop with a few different brands and try some on. Scott makes a good product and I doubt fogging is going to be an issue with any brand. My complaint with Scott is that the Goggle just feels huge and the peripheral vision is seriously hindered in comparison to some other companies. It still may be the goggle for you, but it's worth doing a little product comparison.
As for the light sensitive lens. We do sell quite a few. The feedback we get is that the lens never quite gets dark enough or light enough depending on the conditions. Seems to fall into the "light smoke" catagory. What most people refer to as Amber will be the Yellow tinted lense. You all need to be careful with this. It is NOT an every day lens. Amber pulls light to it so it works extremely well on low light overcast type days. Not for use on sunny days as it could be hard on your eyes.
More versital lenses that people like will be Persimmon (orange) Rose and blue.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I've got 3 pairs of the 89xi goggles, One with a Clear Lens, Amber Lens and Rose Lens. I tried the Light sensitive lens but did not care for it. For me the Amber and Rose take care of any daytime riding and the clear for at night. I have been running this set-up for 3 years and love it!

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I haven't tried every brand or model but I have ran alot of them including Spy and Smith. My favorites to date are the Scott 89's. Run several different sets depending on light conditions of the day. Two or three of each is sure handy with one set of clears to get you home at night.

I'm just the opposite of one of the other posts. I really like the full size frame that fits perfectly within the opening of my open face helmets. I hate wearing a head gasket so having a seal and completely covering skin between the goggle frame and the skid lid keeps me from freezer burn and I don't have to wear a stinky old sweat mop ninja costume.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
my continued search to find a good goggle has failed another year....man i was loving the scoot turbo flows at the beginning of the year...then they got some funky spots ont the lense and water would leak between both lenses.....i asked others i ride with who told me the same as my findings

got some dragons with the coolest lense ever.....but they fit my klim helmet like a fat chick trying to stuff 400 lbs of carcus in some 85 lbs jeans.....chit dont work very well....oh well, all goggles suck a big one:face-icon-small-win

S

ScubaSteveSK

Aug 16, 2008
Canada
A quick review after riding with a pair of light sensitive 89xi's all last season.

General
-Very comfortable
-Tons of foam which makes a nice seal with your helmet
-Peripheral vision could be a bit better
-Large Nose Piece fits awkwardly with my helmet (661 flight)

Lens
-Awesome on sunny days
-NOT good in flat light
-100% clear good for night riding

Overall I'm happy with these goggles and wear them in most conditions.

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
Pretty happy with them, luv the Blue for generally bright days.
the yellow for flat light&fog, but the Blue will do.
The frames are huge, so they do not fit all helmets. The foam is huge for great sealing on over-hood&head days....i'd rate a 7.5 out of 10.
9 for anti-fogging, 3 for duriability-lenses scratch way to easy

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
quote"What most people refer to as Amber will be the Yellow tinted lense. You all need to be careful with this."

Well let me be more clear then, What I ment was Rose. Althou I've never seen "yellow" amber. Amber is a stone that is rose in color. But amber is not a color so my bad.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I'm just the opposite of one of the other posts. I really like the full size frame that fits perfectly within the opening of my open face helmets. I hate wearing a head gasket so having a seal and completely covering skin between the goggle frame and the skid lid keeps me from freezer burn and I don't have to wear a stinky old sweat mop ninja costume.

Ditto...stupid head socks:rolleyes:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
quote"What most people refer to as Amber will be the Yellow tinted lense. You all need to be careful with this."

Well let me be more clear then, What I ment was Rose. Althou I've never seen "yellow" amber. Amber is a stone that is rose in color. But amber is not a color so my bad.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to single out anyone's post. Scott refers to what most people would consider "yellow" as their "Amber". I was trying to clarify that for anyone who was questioning it or would be ordering without seeing.
Something to consider when fitting goggles is trying them on with your helmet. As Hatchers experience points out. It sounds silly, but everyone's helmet fits on their head differently. As do goggles. Sometimes a persons nose has a big effect on goggle fitment. Just throwing it out there.
Cheers everyone

S
Althou I've never seen "yellow" amber. Amber is a stone that is rose in color. But amber is not a color so my bad.

Amber according to Wikipedia.

TheMoreYouKnow.gif

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I advocate excess! Get two of everything more of some. Also you absolutely cannot leave these things in a wet bag or backpack or you'll get the moisture between the lenses and that set is junk. Also love the new leather quick strap system that was being tested and now sold for Scott. Way better then the old plastic quick strap system.

......agreed that you really need to fit your goggle system with your helmet (s) for the best results....all this said the world greatest is my foster grants on a super sunny calm cold day with 2 feet of fresh and the 89's in the bag!

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Wow...........didnt expect that many replies, thanks

I have a amber (ok yellow) set of 509's that I was a little disapointed with. Fogged pretty easy, I liked the fit and finish.

I have a cheap $30 rose color scotts as a back up. In many ways they did better then the 509's

I just wanted to try something else decent, but not spend a chitload.

Smith's look nice ?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I am looking to try a new set of goggles the Scott 89Xi Light Sensitive TurboFlow Goggles.

http://www.helmetoutletusa.com/inde...me=89Xi Light Sensitive TurboFlow&Manuf=Scott

Anyone have these or tried them. I have never used a blue tint, or Light Sensitive before not really sure about that ?

Thanks

I have two sets of them. They work very well in bright-light conditions, but in flat light conditions they are terrible. I almost always wind up putting in my amber or clear lenses when it's cloudy out.

On the flip side, I LOVE em ridin dirt in the summer time.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Sorry, I wasn't trying to single out anyone's post. Scott refers to what most people would consider "yellow" as their "Amber". I was trying to clarify that for anyone who was questioning it or would be ordering without seeing.
Something to consider when fitting goggles is trying them on with your helmet. As Hatchers experience points out. It sounds silly, but everyone's helmet fits on their head differently. As do goggles. Sometimes a persons nose has a big effect on goggle fitment. Just throwing it out there.
Cheers everyone

I wasn't trying to rag on you, Thats good info because If I would have ordered a new lense I probibly would have ended up with yellow and been really mad because I hate yellow lenses. I agree with the statement of helmet and goggle fitment, Heads are different shape and different brands fit different people. I myself really like the way my 89xi's fit in my Fly RatRod helmet. I don't have to wear a head sock, I hate head sock's.

Premium Features