• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is your yeti brake making air

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
Have talked to more than a few yeti owners that keep getting spongy brake handle after riding a bit. On some bikes I have worked on, and my own I would have to bleed the air out of the caliper a couple times a day. The problem is the piston o-rings have a manufacturing defect in them that won’t let them leak fluid but introduce air into the system. Reported this before just trying to help someone if needed

N
Dec 18, 2015
Awesome and useful information

I have a bunch of Yeti to deal with... and yes the brakes are a real pain on a few of them requiring regular bleeding on the trail... not hard to do but really painful.

2018 brakes were worse then 2019... but nothing seemed to be different.
The Service Bulletin with toque specs solved some but very few issues.

We noticed that that the brake pistons often moved with asymmetric pressure (one side moved the other barely). O-rings leaking air but not fluid would explain this.

Your insight that the issue is the O ring will be extremely helpful... Time to order a bunch of O-rings and swap them out... repeat until no duds remain.

Excellent information delivered without the usual long winded whinging and complaining ... thank you.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have a bunch of Yeti to deal with... and yes the brakes are a real pain on a few of them requiring regular bleeding on the trail... not hard to do but really painful.

2018 brakes were worse then 2019... but nothing seemed to be different.
The Service Bulletin with toque specs solved some but very few issues.

We noticed that that the brake pistons often moved with asymmetric pressure (one side moved the other barely). O-rings leaking air but not fluid would explain this.

Your insight that the issue is the O ring will be extremely helpful... Time to order a bunch of O-rings and swap them out... repeat until no duds remain.

Excellent information delivered without the usual long winded whinging and complaining ... thank you.
yeti is aware of this widespread issue and working on a fix

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I'm the wrench for our group and my buddies new 18 yeti has to be bleed every ride so far.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Mine doing it as well.

Clamp your brake lever tight overnight and theyre solid again the next am.

Not sure if a std o-ring can handle brake fluid. If anyone figures out a fix ide sure like to know. Tks

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Yup same with my kit. soon as i upgraded to the 18 brake caliper nothing but fading brakes throughout the day. My 17 caliper worked great just the pads and rotor were junk. Maybe i'll put the 17 caliper back on

Premium Features