• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fuel efficiency

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Think it's probably one hell of a monster but you really can't compare it to the 800' it's not its a factory big bore. The chassis seems like an improvement but it still has that angled steering post that I really don't like the feel of. Also still a bit bulky. Now that centred motor in an axys chassis and I'll order one. I'm not brand loyal grew up on yamaha switched to cat when the M came out then a 14 pro. So I'm gonna stick with poo for now until someone builds a better chassis! Now this is only my opinion but damn that G4 is fugly!

OMG!! The most unappealing sled on the market today . .by far!! The cat came out with the monster spindles and wide body style a few years ago and held the trophy for "Fugliness", but doo doo sure has first place now. They need to fire their design team LOL

KingCon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2016
A 2015 XM 163" actually ran out of gas before the 850 did. Believe what you want!

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
Rode the new 850 in over 40" of fresh snow a week ago. IT GUZZLES GAS!!! When I was on a sidehill riding, it ran out of gas with 17.3 miles on it. We had already used the main tank and a spare 3 gallon.

Just so I understand what your saying here I ran a few calcs. ASSumean you ran the sled wot on a side hill *** you say and we'll ASSume your average wot track speed was 35 mph then it's quite apparent that total sled run time was 30 minutes. That's a fuel burn rate of .42 gallons per minute. Or an ASStonishing 1.38 miles per gallon. 25.2 gallons per hour sounds totally reasonable. 176.4lbs of fuel per hour sounds about right.
Good thing it has 4 injectors.

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
A 2015 XM 163" actually ran out of gas before the 850 did. Believe what you want!

I believe you are mistaken. A 2015 800 etec burns 99 lbs fuel per hour at wot at 7900 rpms loaded. That's 1.65lbs fuel per minute at wot. 10 gallon tank gets you 42 minutes at wot. Average 35 mile per hour track speed or .58 miles per minute.
So the 800 etec is more efficient netting you 24.5 miles before you ran out of gas. Is that how many miles you had on it?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I was in a big dump, with a 04 rev, and ran it out of gas like that or sooner. I have never held a 2 stroke wide open for that long. Took my spare gas of the back because I was going stuck on the flat
You couldn't even turn around or berm off anything to park in your own track. It just died and couldn't figure out what was wrong and was going to leave it. I told my buddy just so I don't feel stupid I was going to check fuel but there is no way. Sure enough it was out. But I think the revs had same trouble as xm. You can't get all the fuel out of them. My buddy was riding my 04 vertical escape and we siphoned gas, a couple of times, to get it back to where I left my spare gas. If this had never happened I would say he was full of it but I won't argue with his statement. One of the best storms I ever rode in and you literally could not let out of it. I actually figured I was going to blow it up.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I've had my 154 Xm turbo in 5' of powder and it took me 35 miles to run out. Blew two belts that day from keeping it pinned the whole time. So for a stock sled to run out in 17 miles isn't believable at all.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Rode the new 850 in over 40" of fresh snow a week ago. IT GUZZLES GAS!!! When I was on a sidehill riding, it ran out of gas with 17.3 miles on it. We had already used the main tank and a spare 3 gallon. Had to wait for someone else to come by and use their 3 gallons. I worry about the fuel economy. I know without a doubt that the Ski Doo's ALWAYS run out way before the Polaris'. This is 100% the truth!! Makes me wonder why they came out with a new 4 gallon can that also stacks. I own Evinrude ETecs that are amazing on both gas and oil, much more impressive economy than what I see through BRP on the sleds. When a 200 hp Evinrude uses a little over a gallon a year boating regularly vs a sled that uses a 1/4 gallon every ride out? Makes me wonder if Doo is actually getting the same technology that is going into BRP's Evinrudes.

I miss my ol 98 summit x, I would get 10mpg whatever I was riding, always into the throttle a lot.

My 08 xp I get about 4.5mpg. I swear there must be a hole in the tank!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I miss my ol 98 summit x, I would get 10mpg whatever I was riding, always into the throttle a lot.

My 08 xp I get about 4.5mpg. I swear there must be a hole in the tank!

You apparently didn't have yours turboed. I came out on a rope alot. My buddies even wanted me to leave that sled home. I would pack 5 gallons and con a buddy into packing 5 and still have to leave early.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
My 850 is still using less fuel than the cats and axys' I ride with. It uses about the same amount of oil as the cat and just a touch more than the axys. The 800 etec kinda spoiled some people with how little oil it used so we hear a lot of complaining about how much oil the 850 uses but it's no worse than the other brands.

Premium Features