• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 vs M8

E
So I have an 09 M1000 with a MBRP can and stock clutching for 0-3000 ft. I weigh 340 lbs. I have raced other 800s across lakes and they get a bit on me off the start but by the end of the lake I kick them. So last weekend raced a buddy with an 08 M8 all stock with a can. We were in a feild with about 2 feet of snow and he jumped me off the start, I caught up to him but could not pass him by the time we hit the end. He only weighs 170 lbs. Could this be all the diference or should I be looking at this closer. Maybe different gearing or a less degree helix maybe I am to heavy and it is not shifting out enough under load. I was happy with the sled before but think I should be able to beat him. Anybody have any ideas?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Try that same thing uphill & see how it goes, if you get beat on a hill you've got a problem.

I've run on the flats against sleds that are far inferior on the hill & the difference is minimal, get in a climb & the torque of the 1000 really shines.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
If you took the time to dial in your sled to be a "drag" race sled you would kick his butt. But with standard mountain setups they just aren't built for that kind of riding.

I know a well setup 600 will stop a mud hole in ya in a drag race, again if it is setup for that. But put them on a hill and forget about it.

It's all in the setup. Don't worry about it.

Like others said. Point them up hill and if he walks on ya, start worrying.

Thunder

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
You and your sled weigh 200 lbs. more than him. He should be able to beat you anywhere. Why do you think guys spend thousands of dollars to make their sled 50 lbs. lighter.

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Had to ask

The question that begs to be asked here.....If 170lbs is "no big deal" in this case, why is it such a big deal when comparing sleds weight? E.G. Yamaha's are heavy pigs etc. Power to weight is what most like to reffer to with MT sleds especially. In this case the ptw ratio is about 3.45lbs/hp for M8 and about 3.64lbs/hp for M1000(500lbs and 600lbs respectively) and if you add the drivers weight it becomes 4.62/hp for M8 and 5.7lb/hp for M1000. I would think the results are as they should be except that the M1000 can actually even stay close to the M8 on the flats or in the hills. I don't think the engine knows the difference between a heavy chassis or a heavy rider.

C
Nov 8, 2009
The question that begs to be asked here.....If 170lbs is "no big deal" in this case, why is it such a big deal when comparing sleds weight? E.G. Yamaha's are heavy pigs etc. Power to weight is what most like to reffer to with MT sleds especially. In this case the ptw ratio is about 3.45lbs/hp for M8 and about 3.64lbs/hp for M1000(500lbs and 600lbs respectively) and if you add the drivers weight it becomes 4.62/hp for M8 and 5.7lb/hp for M1000. I would think the results are as they should be except that the M1000 can actually even stay close to the M8 on the flats or in the hills. I don't think the engine knows the difference between a heavy chassis or a heavy rider.

Last time I checked an M1000 is not 100 lbs heavier then an M8, I think it is more like 20...

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
WHAT ARE THE LENGTHS OF THE TRACKS

IF U HAVE A 162 AND HE HAS A 153 HE WILL BEAT U EVERY TIME, IF THE TRACKS ARE THE SAME LENGTH , AND U WEIGHT +170 THERE IS STILL A 145-160 LB WEIGHT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO OF U ON YOUR SLEDS IT IS SIMPLE MATHmatics, power vs weight, his ratio is greater than yours

Premium Features