• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Gen 4 area is so boring.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Nothing is blowing up, belts seem to be lasting a normal life span, sleds don’t have a bog or hard starting. Doo seems to be making a great running reliable sled that people are happy with!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Don't ya just HATE IT when everything starts to gel and work SMOOTHLY!!!!!

Can't wait to see if there are ANY substantial changes for 2020, or if BRP feels they have finally NAILED it in the 2019 model.

I need ONE MORE 850 in my stable..

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Ya Christopher that’s my one worry lol. Doo will rest on their laurels for an extra season or two. If they could nail the clutching and lighten the sleds up 30lbs without sacrificing durability or reliability they’d be tough to beat.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I'm ready for another 175". Will it be a 2020 or left over 2019? LOVE my 17 and 18 G4's. They have been amazing sleds. I'd be ok with a few improvements and bold new graphics.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Can they make it sidehill like the other 2 brands?
If so, i would like to ride it!

...funny, as I find the G4 initiates a sidehill and holds it fairly easy... easier to initiate as the Ayxs, and about the same as the Alpha.

...all 3 seem to hold a sidehill about the same...

Ace

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
03,04,05,06,07 (5 years) (03 mixture of mxz/rev)
08,09,10,11,12 (5 years) (08 mixture of rev/Xp)
13,14,15,16,17 (5 years) (17 mixture of XM/G4)
17,18,19,20,21 (5 years) (21 mixture of G4 and ??)

...at this point im not buying another one until they make another edition of this platform. If the past tells the future, then 2022 could be a significant change to the G4 platform to change its name. Kinda like in 13 when the XP became the XM. What will 2022 hold?

Im sitting thinking, ok, I go buy a 20 or 21 and then 22 comes along and they made a change that tickles my vanity/lust/greed/envy/jealousy......oh im gonna be ticked off i dint wait. hahaha

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I smashed a sticker! ...
78fd5e0a5dcd691154e42a4796e0397f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
...funny, as I find the G4 initiates a sidehill and holds it fairly easy... easier to initiate as the Ayxs, and about the same as the Alpha.

...all 3 seem to hold a sidehill about the same...

Ace

Not even close. I am a through and through Ski Doo guy but anyone that thinks that a Ski Doo is easier to ride than a Patriot with a 36" front end, has drank too much Doo-Aid. I might be switching next season and snow checking 2 Polaris. Their sled is so much easier to ride and takes about half the energy as the Ski Doo. Ski Doo needs to figure out how to lighten up their boat anchors :face-icon-small-con

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Not even close. I am a through and through Ski Doo guy but anyone that thinks that a Ski Doo is easier to ride than a Patriot with a 36" front end, has drank too much Doo-Aid. I might be switching next season and snow checking 2 Polaris. Their sled is so much easier to ride and takes about half the energy as the Ski Doo. Ski Doo needs to figure out how to lighten up their boat anchors :face-icon-small-con
I think u need one Patriot and One Alpha.
The track on the Alpha is unbelievable.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
03,04,05,06,07 (5 years) (03 mixture of mxz/rev)
08,09,10,11,12 (5 years) (08 mixture of rev/Xp)
13,14,15,16,17 (5 years) (17 mixture of XM/G4)
17,18,19,20,21 (5 years) (21 mixture of G4 and ??)

...at this point im not buying another one until they make another edition of this platform. If the past tells the future, then 2022 could be a significant change to the G4 platform to change its name. Kinda like in 13 when the XP became the XM. What will 2022 hold?

Im sitting thinking, ok, I go buy a 20 or 21 and then 22 comes along and they made a change that tickles my vanity/lust/greed/envy/jealousy......oh im gonna be ticked off i dint wait. hahaha

Right there with ya.
New Chassis will probably show up in 2022 after a FIVE YEAR RUN on the G4
But are we do for something substantial as product update/upgrade for 2020?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011

Have you ridden one in WA snow yet? I liked my Pro a lot more than in ID, MT, WY snow then the wet coastal stuff we ride in mostly. You could tell that the Doo was tested and developed in BC and the Poo in CO, ID and WY. Sleds just like their native habitat more than the foreign.
Also what about all the engine, bearing, bog, oil line and piston/cyl issues with the 850 Poo. You willing to take that on? I’d keep one Doo as a back up if I got possessed by an ignorant demon that told me to get an 850 Poo right now.
Also, your lightweight Doo 850 is lighter than a stock Polaris 850 isn’t it? What’s the weight dif stock to stock? 25-30lbs? I’d be surprised if anyone can feel the difference that 25lbs makes on a 525lb RTR sled.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Have you ridden one in WA snow yet? I liked my Pro a lot more than in ID, MT, WY snow then the wet coastal stuff we ride in mostly. You could tell that the Doo was tested and developed in BC and the Poo in CO, ID and WY. Sleds just like their native habitat more than the foreign.
Also what about all the engine, bearing, bog, oil line and piston/cyl issues with the 850 Poo. You willing to take that on? I’d keep one Doo as a back up if I got possessed by an ignorant demon that told me to get an 850 Poo right now.
Also, your lightweight Doo 850 is lighter than a stock Polaris 850 isn’t it? What’s the weight dif stock to stock? 25-30lbs? I’d be surprised if anyone can feel the difference that 25lbs makes on a 525lb RTR sled.

I would think my 850 is as light but it doesn't even seem as light as a Polaris that has the stock can. Those sleds just get up on the snow so much better than the 850 too. I'm talking the 2.6. I haven't ridden the 3 Polaris as I heard it sucks. I would love to try a Doo 850 2.5 to see if it stayed up on the snow better. I've been looking for a slightly used Patriot just to buy and toy around with the rest of this season but to no avail... The Polaris definitely seems like it has no power but you don't need power when it just glides across the top of the snow unlike the Doo 3" chainsaw!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Its doos approach that makes them augers and wheely worse than everything. They are a hoot in deep snow but the less snow the more bad traits show up. I thought they ride lighter. Not sure when compared to patriot. Only notice weight when stuck. I do know you can flip a Polaris over backwards to get unstuck. The alpha or doo you just as well not try. Have you tried an alpha. Perfect cross between the two if you ask me. You can have mine if you go get it off the mountain.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Its doos approach that makes them augers and wheely worse than everything. They are a hoot in deep snow but the less snow the more bad traits show up. I thought they ride lighter. Not sure when compared to patriot. Only notice weight when stuck. I do know you can flip a Polaris over backwards to get unstuck. The alpha or doo you just as well not try. Have you tried an alpha. Perfect cross between the two if you ask me. You can have mine if you go get it off the mountain.

^^
Where is it? I want one!
Seriously what happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA

Chad, the Axys I rode didn't have the 36 inch front end, so I cannot speak to that. But I have 0 problems sidehilling ...my 850. The Alpha I rode had the same characteristics.

...also, I see most riders of the Poo having to have both feet on the same side of the running boards, or "Dangeling" a leg. Most sidehills on the Doo are with one foot on each board...

... just MY experience!

Ace

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Whiteout and I went the wrong way. By the time I figured it out it was too late. I was committed. Buddy was 50 or 60 feet above. Got him to turn around and was supposed to meet me. I had a plan a and plan b. Huge avalanche went in front of me. One chunk was bigger than a car. I got lucky what was above me didn't go. I had to dig the alpha in, which I didn't want to do, because it was wanting to roll over if I took my foot off it. I left it and got the hell out of there. Poor set of legs that won't take you away from an azz kicking. Thank God my buddy was riding my flawless silber 850. Had to ride out double. Not sure what I'm going to do. Something I wouldn't play on but got on it and was too late when I realized it. Snow and trench from track was 6 or 8 inches of firm snow above running board and didn't have enough confidence I could turn it around without having a wreck. To turn the other way I was going to have to drop it on 2 skis before I could get a spindle dug in the other way. Wasn't sure i had enough room before I smashed into the trees. Was going to elevator off one section and hit plan a or go right for plan b if that didn't work. The slide destroyed both. Playing the cards I was dealt and I had a really bad hand. Real eye opener.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I would think my 850 is as light but it doesn't even seem as light as a Polaris that has the stock can. Those sleds just get up on the snow so much better than the 850 too. I'm talking the 2.6. I haven't ridden the 3 Polaris as I heard it sucks. I would love to try a Doo 850 2.5 to see if it stayed up on the snow better. I've been looking for a slightly used Patriot just to buy and toy around with the rest of this season but to no avail... The Polaris definitely seems like it has no power but you don't need power when it just glides across the top of the snow unlike the Doo 3" chainsaw!

I doubt it feels that way in our wet coastal snow. Get a demo ride somewhere out here. I haven’t seen any on the mountains either. Lots of 800 Axys riders around here tho.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
The steering is still heavy on the 36" patriots which is what I believe contributes to its definition of "hard to ride all day" We have a tendency to turn the skis in many situations throughout a day. They lay over a little easier than their older brother which is expected on the skinnier ski stance. In this case I think they are closer to being "easy all day" but not to the level of the Doo G4 and the Alpha. The Alpha and patriot hold sidehills slightly better than the G4 but 90% of riders/situations will not notice it or it will not be noticeable. After some experience this winter. I think the Alpha has the winning combination for deep snow days. It has loads of traction, it can climb, easy to initiate, it can hold its edge, motor is strong and hangs with em. It might be the perfect balance but whatever "all day" style you want is achievable with the help of the aftermarket.

This forum has been boring. There are seemingly less reported belt issues on here. Can't speak towards numbers BRP is seeing but I imagine it has got better on their end too. Nice work by them.

Last edited:
Premium Features