• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yeti rear suspension setup

N

Northwestguy

Apr 1, 2010
Panhandle NID
Hey Guys,
I'm new to the Yeti scene. I bought a used 2017 129" SMX with ARO ski and spindle. My question is regarding the rear suspension front arm mounting location. It has 3 vertical mounting hole options. What is the big picture concept of each mounting hole? I ride steep and deep snow off trail mountain terrain, no racing. My intuition says mounting in the highest hole is best for deep snow by flattening the track approach angle (this would also seem to probably increase ski pressure, something I strive to decrease). Conversely by that argument then the lowest hole set would be the best bump/ race option and middle would be the compromise between the two.
I did not find any info on these holes in Yeti's setup brochure or website.
2014 KTM 450XCF Yeti 129smx and ARO ski and spindle, first ride out with this setup was awesome....
Thanks in advance for any input.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Try the yeti owners facebook page. I also have tried to research this. I tried upper holes as I was told it would decrease trecnching. It might of a tiny bit, however i still prefered the middle hole. havnt tried the lowest holes. On the yeti the biggest adjustment is strut rod length, and how the track contacts the snow. Most are saying you want the back of track off of shop floor at least a 1/2" when the front is contacting the floor. This will give less ski pressure, lower seat height, and more lively feel.

N

Northwestguy

Apr 1, 2010
Panhandle NID
Chumbilly,
Thanks for the input. I did put in a request the FB Yeti page the other day. I'm waiting on that. Info out there on the front arm mounting holes is vague to nonexistent. I was running the RRS shock length very short (10 1/4" 60 deg head angle) compared to the spec (11 1/8"). I'm all about reducing ski pressure. Unfortunately the RRS Raptor third shock puked all its oil out and my rear muffler was contacting the yeti chassis under compression. The strut rod length is ultimately setting the head tube steering angle. The angle is pretty critical on dirt bikes for steering and feel of the bike. I have believed for years going back that all of the factory setups have way to steep of a head angle making ski pressure excessively high and overloading the front forks, making the front ski dive vs floating. With my RRS shock out of commission I have to give the solid strut a try even shorter at 9 7/8" 59 deg head angle. As you mentioned you get a lower seat height and a more playful ride. With it that short it is a little tough getting the Yeti gas can out from under the rear fender. If it proves to be a length that I like I'll trim the rear fender to allow it to come out more easily. Subjectively, standing back and looking at it setup that short, it just looks right, not all stink-bugged out......

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Yea the RRS gives a wicked tall seat height. Get a soft strut if you can. They work great. What bike are you using?

N

Northwestguy

Apr 1, 2010
Panhandle NID
2014 KTM 450 XCF. I was able shorten the RRS to a reasonable 10 1/4" eye to eye length. That makes for a reasonable seat height and head angle. I just got off the phone with Jake at Raptor shocks. Super nice and helpful guy. I called him to find out how much oil to refill the RRS with and mentioned that I intended to put a much heavier wt oil in to slow down the action of the shock. I'm adding 15 wt Rock Shox mountain bike fork oil which he said they are doing something very similar and that that wt oil would probably be the "cats meow". I may in the future have them put an extension spacer internally to shorten the eye to eye length even more. I have already cut the eye thread length down and the receiving portion of the shock body. I was in my dealer recently speaking with them about my issue with the RRS and he was showing me the newer soft strut. It didn't appear at all like the one on the Yeti page. This one was an Elka unit and looked really really nice. He said $400 for it. Anyway I'm curious to see what I can get out of this RRS unit for the time being. Thanks again for chiming in.

M
Sep 19, 2016
Yeti set-up

:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-tonYeti has few set-up video's. Facebook has a yeti snow mx club with a lot of members. Soft strut set-up is same length as hard strut length. Running suspension in bottom hole worked best for me less trenching more front end lift with less ski pressure.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Ive been hearing to use the lowest hole. Seems backwards from my snowmobile setup history, but what works works! Are you softening the front shock as well?

Premium Features