• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 XM weight drop

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
We should have started a new thread I guess but since this one is pounded into dust I will respond. Slick since you own an XP your comments surprise me. Most of the XP guys I know laugh at the whole stability/can't sidehill comments. I wouldn't own a sled I couldn't take into the trees and have fun with. We can sidehill these sleds with EASE! In deep snow it is effortless and you still have the extra flotation and climbing ability of the wider track. I can sidehill my XP on hardpack, takes some effort but it can be done. The difference in deep snow performance, especially in the NW and BC snow, is minimal but nearly everything else the Doo out does the Pro. Power, fit and finish, reliability, ride in the rough, warranty, fuel usage and on and on. Now with the XM all of those attributes are still their but it is easier to ride in tougher conditions. I think it is even better in the deep.

I can sidehill a 1997 Mountain Max, no problem, it just takes a little more effort. LOL.

And the rest, sorry, not gonna eat that crap, the power, Doo has more, but unfortunately for them most of it gets eaten up thru the crappy clutches they continue to use, fit and finish.... BS, not that much different, reliability....you talk Dragon I'll talk 07 Doo, since 2011 the only reliability issues have been on this 4m, Doo.... better ride on trail u bet, I hate trails, warranty...... same ****, different pile, fuel usage Doo is better, weight....Poo huge advantage ( and yeah I know, you can't feel it) but you guys all know exactly how to make it lighter ( but you can't feel it LOL ) , ease and consistency of clutching.... huge advantage Poo, ease of handling less effort rquired...all Poo, ease of getting unstuck...all Poo, ease of accessing motor and pipe (till XM) .... all Poo,
After reading your last few posts, I'm gonna suggest you get rid of that Pro, especially now that you are aware of all its shortcomings, cause you are way to smart to put up with that sub standard sled, sell it man , you deserve better.
Me, I like em both.

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
..... Leaders are copied, and as is evident by Doo changes, they also realize this.

I'm not brand loyal, and I have to agree with you 100%. I think this is why the RMK pro looks so much like an 04 summit, and the cat pro climb looks so much like an 08 xp summit:llama::llama:

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
I'm not brand loyal, and I have to agree with you 100%. I think this is why the RMK pro looks so much like an 04 summit, and the cat pro climb looks so much like an 08 xp summit:llama::llama:

From the side view, yeah maybe a bit, but the differences will become blatantly obvious if you look from directly behind or directly at the front of the 2 and compare that way. No comparison at all from those perspectives.

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
...Short memories are apparently another of the issues we are experiencing here. Leaders are copied, and as is evident by Doo changes, they also realize this.

I know this is going to sound biased, but I am a totally neutral observer.
In 93, the summit became the first factory mountain sled, who followed?
In 98, the 670ho summit X hit the market, who could highmark that with a factory sled?
In 2000, the highmarks with the 151's hit the mountain. Which brands soon followed with factory 150ish tracks? "The Ski-Doo Summit 700 Highmark snowmobile is awarded the title of “Mountain Muscle Sled of the Year” by SnoWest Magazine."
Shortly after electronic reverse was introduced, who has since followed that?
In 2004, the rider forward rev was introduced, who has since followed that idea? This particular model also has the pyramid frame. Any Poo's or Cat's look under the hood lately?

Did the XM get the flex track or t-motion from poo? How about rider forward or the pyramid? Oh, probably the flat gauges or heated glove box huh? No,must be the 16" wide track?

Personally I don't see anything that wasn't born at or evolved from BRP on it.

I don't know, I'm just saying..........

Oh, and to keep it neutral, I think in 11, poo did work there way into the front seat with doo. I cannot honestly say they kicked doo out, but they made quite the impression for sure. However, from what I have been reading and hearing, I think that doo may have opened the door and started shoving poo out of the truck with the demo rides on the XM!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
In 98, the 670ho summit X hit the market, who could highmark that with a factory sled?
In 2000, the highmarks with the 151's hit the mountain. Which brands soon followed with factory 150ish tracks? "The Ski-Doo Summit 700 Highmark snowmobile is awarded the title of “Mountain Muscle Sled of the Year” by SnoWest Magazine."
In 2004, the rider forward rev was introduced, who has since followed that idea? This particular model also has the pyramid frame. Any Poo's or Cat's look under the hood lately?

Did the XM get the flex track or t-motion from poo? How about rider forward or the pyramid? Oh, probably the flat gauges or heated glove box huh? No,must be the 16" wide track?

Oh, and to keep it neutral, I think in 11, poo did work there way into the front seat with doo. I cannot honestly say they kicked doo out, but they made quite the impression for sure. However, from what I have been reading and hearing, I think that doo may have opened the door and started shoving poo out of the truck with the demo rides on the XM!
uhm..the 98 670? uhm..not sure but around here nothing could touch the 700 rmk..they ruled off trail..........

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
uhm..the 98 670? uhm..not sure but around here nothing could touch the 700 rmk..they ruled off trail..........

I guess I didn't see that, but I'll usually not argue with someone from AK that sleds.

So since that one was really an opinion with no facts to back it up, I'll give it to you.

1 out of 6 aint bad huh poo?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I guess I didn't see that, but I'll usually not argue with someone from AK that sleds.

So since that one was really an opinion with no facts to back it up, I'll give it to you.

1 out of 6 aint bad huh poo?
LOL...well I could probably think of a few others..but I will give you those ones...personally..all the manufacturers have good ideas and bad..and right now they all build damn good mountain sleds.....

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
Agreed for sure.

I just thought it was kind of ironic the way his "leader" that is being "copied" appears to have multiple designs that a competitor has been running for years, while the copy cat has several cool designs not found on his "leader".

Also I think competition is great for all. I think without out it we would all still be riding trailing arm sleds, except for cat that is.
But then they would still be 634lbs dry, always pulled over with the hood open. (thinking of my old 95 580 ext).

If it weren't for the pro that so many doo riders jumped to, the xm may never have been born.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007

Doo has made some great sleds, I should probably just leave it at that but.......... remember the 84 Phazer LT, awesome mountain sled, remember the IFS sleds, how about the 90, 91 Indy 500, awesome sled, the 93 to 95 XLT finnicky but loved to be moddewd worked great, Doo was struggling big time between 90 and 97, lotsa mountain slugs in there, and gotta say you must have been on a different hill if you thought the 97-98 Summit outperformed the 97-98 RMK 700, In 2000 the Poo 800 twin, had its issues but first 800 twin, Doo's 01 twin 800 was not so spectacular, the Rev personally I loved it... the 04 to 08 Rotax 800 not so much we pulled as many of those home as we did the 08-09 800 Dragon, the 05-06 Poo 900 not my favorite but some guys liked the chugging thing, same as the Doo 1000 RT sounde good on paper reality not so much, then the 07 XRS yech what a train wreck, then came the Dragon, great chassis crappy engine, then the 08 XP, most guys spent that year fixing venting modding, huge issues R& D by consumer type release like the Poo 900. Now the Pro in 11, awesome sled and IMO the obvious leader in mountain sleds in 11 and 12 and the reason Doo is making changes in 13 to retain buyers. Good for them , it seems to me every dog has his day, maybe Doo will have another one in 13 cause they didn't have one in 11 or 12, and a bunch of guys ranting hooray after a demo ride is not quite gonna cut it in my book, lets check back next february ish and see where we all are. ....
I'm sorry I neglected Cat, but the M7 was a standout in 07.

And, another small item ....to my knowledge, Poo and Cat and Yammi have done all these things without , not even one, not even a wee little..... drain on the taxpayers purse in the form of government bailout.

As guys havesaid, its progress, some good, some bad, but they've all had their highs and lows and in reality they've all reacted market and product wise to one anothers growth.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
being leader in the moutains means getting the highmark.so 08-12 skidoo is king.
sit down meadow riding might go to the poo.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010

They kicked Doo down into the dirt in 2011.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
being leader in the moutains means getting the highmark.so 08-12 skidoo is king.
sit down meadow riding might go to the poo.
Haha gotta love when the guys on their pros are pulling insane lines through the the steep deep and tight trees while the XP guys sit in the meadow at the bottom of the hill, just waiting for that WICKED AWESOME wide open powder covered 15 degree slope so they can climb to the top and then go on snowest and say themselves and their sleds are bada$$ climbing machines that no one can stick with... hahahahaha

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
I am going to order a pro this year hard to do but with what it weighs and warranty hard not to. I used to ride yamaha in late nineties and made aftermarket companies rich. Getting the belt drive on the pro made it a better value imo. All the light weight kits that are available for the summit are also available for the pro also. I have bled doo since 03 going to beat on something different with warranty and my pro dealer is better than the doo dealer that is close to me. To many things to go wrong on turbos and when they don't work it ruins the ride. Pull rope and go I am on vacation I have had many mods but with the sleds getting this good with waranty hard to mod one out. IMO

1 year factory warranty, and the rest is aftermarket. Just so you know. On the Pro. Doo 3 year is a Doo three year. Have you rode the 13 Doo?

Yella'

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
I put the S36 front end on mine. I love the way it reacts to even a slight weigh shift. It is easier to get on it's side and even to stay there. I can play and ride in ways that I could never do.
On the other side of the coin, as everything, there is a compromise. Now with less stability I have to do things slower. Even though the sled is easier to pull over, you have to ride it harder when it comes down. With the wider steering, the sled was planted and stable. I didn't have to prepare for the instability. There fore I could ride at higher speeds and not worry about the terrain pushing me around.
Both have there advantages and disadvantages, it just depends on what you like.

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
Well I rode an 011 163" Pro last season and wasn't that impressed with it period. Being an aggressive Mtn rider at 6 4" 240lbs, I felt really cramped on the sled and the power was less than flattering. This season I bought a new Pro Climb and bolted on a few mods, as I did the Pro and I liked it alot. Sled had great power, ero's were much better for me personally, had alot of fun on my PC this winter. Sold my PC the other day and now I'm torn between a 2013 Pro Climb or Ski Doo XM. I got a chance to look the new XM's over up at Seeley Lake Mt, and was really impressed with the sled. I was fairly convinced to do another Pro Climb, but something keeps pulling me in for another look at the XM. I'm far from brand loyal, in fact I had an 09 XP, 010 M1000 cat and really enjoyed that sled my XP. I ride the sled that feels best to me, not the sled some paid snow tester tells me to ride. I quite honestly could end up on a new XM for 2013. After crawling around on one up at Seeley and talking to couple guys that had just come back in from riding them, they seem to be the real deal. In fact one of the guys owned a 2012 Etech and said he wished he hadn't ridden the new XM, because now he didn't want to ride his 012 the rest of the season. Far as the Pro goes, probably a great sled for the 5 9" 160lb rider, just not for me. I really feel Ski Doo did their homework and built a bad@ss sled for 2013 and I very well just might own one. I'll be deciding in the next couple weeks........

Wally

Premium Member
Nov 2, 2001
Mexico

When are the new Poo's going to be built in Mexico?

What do you think that will do to quality?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
a) It's been covered many, many times on here that the sleds will not be built in Mexico.

b) If they were to be built in Mexico....well, to be honest I wouldn't consider the US to be at the pinnacle of quality as far as large scale manufacturing/assembly goes anyways. Sleds in general are built like crap already regardless of where they come from. The best ones reliability wise (by trainlengths) are from a Japanese company....

c) If I could snowcheck and recieve a year's supply of taco's I would be sold.

Premium Features