• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

400lb proclimb, "can it be done" project

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
So I spent a lot of time wondering about this ever since the first post in the other thread a few weeks ago. Figured someone has to try it and see how close they can get. I know I can get there, but the real question is, how much will it cost. The last 20lbs is going to take some $$$ for carbon fiber and Ti parts, which I'm not sure I'm will spend the money on.

First stop was to pull a new 2016 M8 162 sno pro out of the crate and weigh it. So I'm starting with "crate weight", not dry weight or ready to ride weight. If I was 100% focused on the 400lb mark I would have been smarter to start with a 153, but the "bigger is better" mentality got the best of my male brain.

So, out of the crate weight, 480lbs

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The starting weight of 480 was a bit more than I was expecting. Hoping to start at more like 470, but reality is what it is. First off was to order the easy, Big Bang for the buck pieces.
Diamond S can
Jaws single pipe
Mountain Fit hood
Belt drive

With the pipe, can hood and belt drive in theory you can lose close to 45lbs. So they were the first to go on.
The single pipe wasn't as much of a loss as I was hoping, only about 4lbs. It might get replaced with a SSI Ti pipe when they become available. The jaws Y-pipe does look like it will flow better than the stock. Jaws on the right

Cascade Addiction

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
WA Cascades
BDX Prolite parts gets you to 415-420 or so pretty easy, but yes your right, the last 20lbs gets spendy!! But with 210hp or so the Bmp 940 or the SSI 950,the hp/weight ratio make it feel like it's super light. Definitely a better hp/weight ratio then just about anything else out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I do have a customer with a 2015 940 pro lite I will weigh along with this sled when I am done. Hope i can also get someone to donate an new Polaris to weigh as well.
Jaws pipe

Stock pipe

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
So I figure if I'm doing this I may as well take weight where I can. Trimmed all the extra metal off the ski bolt hardware. It's free so why not.

Stock ski

Modified ski

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Next step was to build the Mountsin Fit hood. This was a little more time consuming than I wanted, but turned out really nice 12lb loss. I got the full hood with the intake shelf. It takes some time to put it all together and install the vents. So take your time and plan on 3-4 hours. Stock hood weighed just over 21lbs complete and mountain fit complete 9.5lbs.

Stock hood

Mountain Fit hood installed with gauges and windshield.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I have a prolite 162 3"I can bring down for ya. Has pretty much everything done you can do. I figure I have taken around 15lbs of since it was new.. I am well over 20 grand into though. If I had to guess I would say 410lbs. Only thing left would be carbon fiber parts. Another 2500 in parts for 10lbs. It was easier to hike and mountain bike all summer for that last 10.

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
How did you lose a pound on each ski??
Did you remove the idler wheels...pound each
Does that have the 2.6 claw? Could go to a 3.2 and save 5 lbs and sell that one.
Thanks for sharing!!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Last piece for this first weight is the belt drive. There are three choices, C3, TKI and mountain valley. I like all three kits but chose the mountain valley machine because I like the open design of thier cover and they are very close to me. Like to support the local guy.
The MVM belt drive is a super nice addition. Machine work top notch and very easy to install.
Pic is without the oil tank, which I'll put on later.

Check back tomorrow for the weight of the first stage with hood, exhaust and belt drive all installed and sled back on the scale.

Last edited:
B

Brutus

Nov 14, 2008
Helena MT
Cool deal max. Can't wait to see the progress and sled weights at each "stage" of the build. What seat are you going with? Wrp on mine. Not sure on the exact savings but felt much lighter when installing it.

Im like the others... That last 20 will be costly but definitely achievable. That skidoo Corey Micku built was pretty much all c3 carbon fiber and he said it weighed in at 383 dry. us cat guys are heavier in the motor by a considerable amount which will make it difficult to get down that low in weight, but I think 400 can be done.

Bru

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Some more easy weight loss:
Removing foam from side panels
Ditch the side panel vent and put a piece of frogskinz over it
Port track/remove stand alone fingers?
Possibility of removing some seat foam and replacing with styrofoam underneath
Remove idlers
Thought I had seen someone machining the centers of the skid cross shafts down?
Remove/trim snow flap
Machining center of the bolt heads

It would be interesting to see what weight loss can be had by machining spars, tubes etc under the hood. Free and easy weight loss there.

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
Have you thought about the oil delete? I know that will save a couple pounds.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I did not delete the oil inj., just left the oil tank off to see the beautiful drive.

First weight today after what I will call stage I.

Stage I
Mountain Valley Machine belt drive
Mountain Fit hood
Ski mod
Jaws exhaust with quiet Diamond S can

Starting weight out of the crate was 480lbs, after stage I the new weight is 436lb. I'm pretty happy about that. Solid 44lb loss.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Just out of curiosity, what is the approximate weight difference between a 153 and 162? Also the 3 inch track is actually a little lighter then the 2.6 right?

Awesome project, thank you for posting up your findings. Keep it coming. Will be fun keeping an eye on this thread!!!!!!

Almost makes me want to scrap my custom intake and get a mountain fit hood...............

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah that's a great start and easy mods to get that weight down. Still has coolant too. Makes me want a LW hood even more. I just got that same scale and am going to weigh my PC 16 153 3" against my 16 axys 3" soon full weight ready to ride.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I think most manufacturers claim a 5lb difference between their 150 and 160 class track lengths.

Now you are officially lighter than a stock 155 Pro was (438 crate weight, 417 dry). 8 more lbs to chase down the Axys (409 dry?).

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
So starting on what I'll call stage II today. It will include...

3.2 track
7-tooth drivers
Light weight seat
Light weight side panels
Strip the skid of extra weight

Pretty sure I can hit the 420lb mark with stage II.

Premium Features