• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Knee Guards save knees

D
Dec 9, 2007
Palmer,Alaska
I learned the hard way that I should have invested the $25 for a pair of knee guards. I hit my knee on my sled Saturday at Lost Lake . It hurt like hell but I made it back. The Doctor says that my knee cap is broken in three places and my riding is on hold for a few months.
I would just like to spread the word so maybe someone else that does not have a pair of guards might go out and get a pair.. You dont want to end up like me, with a broken knee.

S

shwee

Jan 8, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
I hit my left knee a couple times last year hard enough to cave in the metal part by the vent and thought I had broken it once for a few minutes. I was lucky and have been meaning to get knee guards for awhile. Looks like I'll be making it a priority.

Thanks for the reminder and I hope you heal up quick! :beer;

I
Nov 26, 2007
Sorry to hear about your accident. My Klim pants have padding for the knees/shins luckily I've never found out if it works.

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
I learned the hard way that I should have invested the $25 for a pair of knee guards. I hit my knee on my sled Saturday at Lost Lake . It hurt like hell but I made it back. The Doctor says that my knee cap is broken in three places and my riding is on hold for a few months.
I would just like to spread the word so maybe someone else that does not have a pair of guards might go out and get a pair.. You dont want to end up like me, with a broken knee.

sorry to hear, and thanks for passin on the reminder:D

J
Oct 20, 2009
Anchorage
Sorry to hear about your accident. My Klim pants have padding for the knees/shins luckily I've never found out if it works.

i have those klim pants pants also but a few years ago i was bucked off my sled while climbing and my right knee came down on my lest running board. my knee hit so hard that it split the skin open and left 2 inch long gash but it did not cut the pants, anyways i wounld not trust the padding

B
Nov 23, 2008
Emerald Valley
kneecaps

i don't know how you made it back w/ the shattered knee. WOW! I've broken mine before. Far from enjoyable. I ride a 2moto kit along w/ my skidoo. I put on my regular dirtbike gear when I'm on the snowbike. Full armor. It fits nicely under my klim gear once you remove the worthless pieces of foam out that never stay where there supposed to when your riding anyways. All of my armor is super comfy. Barely know it's there. Jumped on sled after riding bike. Put it this way, I'll never go riding w/out the kneepads again. Spend the money and get good ones that hinge. Alpinestar makes a great pair. Amazing difference along w/ the confidence to boot. It's pretty hard to walk for months w/ a bruised or broken knee. Good Luck. Great posting btw.

D
Dec 9, 2007
Palmer,Alaska
Doctor Visit

Just got back from the Doc today. He took some more X rays and everything is healing properly. No more brace. ( I quit wearing it a couple weeks ago )
I asked him about riding and he said not yet, 6 more weeks. I dont think I can wait that long. I still need to burn the rest of the break in oil/gas tank.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Be patient dude, will only make it worse if you try to push it now. Almost a year and I still suffer from my knee pain, hit just below the kneecap though. Let it heal otherwise you'll suffer more in the future.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Be patient dude, will only make it worse if you try to push it now. Almost a year and I still suffer from my knee pain, hit just below the kneecap though. Let it heal otherwise you'll suffer more in the future.

Or be like me, ride through all your injuries, don't go to doctors until you can hardly walk, and they'll tell you that you have a 60 year old man's body inside you when it comes to your bones and mobility.

Be patient, it's not worth it. I've got a laundry list of surgerys lined up for spring/summer, it's going to suck bad. Ankle, leg, knee, shoulder, elbow, lower back...:(

S

shwee

Jan 8, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
Or be like me, ride through all your injuries, don't go to doctors until you can hardly walk, and they'll tell you that you have a 60 year old man's body inside you when it comes to your bones and mobility.

Be patient, it's not worth it. I've got a laundry list of surgerys lined up for spring/summer, it's going to suck bad. Ankle, leg, knee, shoulder, elbow, lower back...:(

Good lord that's a lot of messed up parts especially only being 25. Good luck with all of that. I'm getting ready to get back surgery in the next few months. Bunch of gimpy sledders around here. :p

Good to hear you're healing well, dbull66. :)

Premium Features