• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro Advice Needed

N

northseattle

Jan 4, 2009
First, I want to say thanks to everyone for all the great stuff they put up on snowest. I've been reading for over a year and it's really appreciated.

Here's my dilemma.

I have a 2008 Nytro MTX I purchased in Jan of last year. It's not boosted and basically stock - just new simmons skis and a handlebar riser.

Truth be told, I've never liked the feel of the sled. It feels top-heavy...too heavy in general. I'm not a climber but spend a lot of time off-trail in the central wa cascades.

So I'm trying to figure out what to do for this season. Can't figure out if I should keep the Nytro and try to improve the suspension or sell it and get an XP (etec or 800).

How much could I improve the suspension for $1000 - $1500? And what would you guys do? Floats? New skid?

What will give me the best bang for the buck and make this sled fun?

Thanks in advance....

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Get a West Coast front end and some better shocks. This will aid in the steering and the darty feel. I prefer to use it with the sway bar out. I ride a Nytro and an M chassis and I know that I will never get the flickability in the trees that the Cat has ( or the XP for that matter). But the only reason I have to pull my Yammi into the shop to thaw it out.

Front end $850.00
Shocks $700.00
Rear skid $1600.00

In my opinion all the 2008 and 2009 MTXs need the above changes.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Well you say your not a climber not boosted and sounds like your not going to boost.So my opinion is if it feels heavy to ya and your not liking the sled, i would sell it and get a xp or a m8 if you know you like the ride of the two strokes already. Why spend all that extra cash on suspension and hope it suits ya. Just my thoughts.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Front end $850.00
Shocks $700.00
Rear skid $1600.00

Don't forget to loose the stock Maverick POS>

Track change to Powerclaw or Camo Extreme
Rear Skid
Front end with Shocks

I believe those are the main changes needed in that order. Not sure if those will really help you with having the sled feel top heavy tho. I came off of a Rev and fell right in place with the nytro. So not sure if an XP will feel any difference to you. If anything id look into maybe an apex or a M8

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
Get a West Coast front end and some better shocks. This will aid in the steering and the darty feel. I prefer to use it with the sway bar out. I ride a Nytro and an M chassis and I know that I will never get the flickability in the trees that the Cat has ( or the XP for that matter). But the only reason I have to pull my Yammi into the shop to thaw it out.

Front end $850.00
Shocks $700.00
Rear skid $1600.00

I completely agree with Racin. I did the exact same thing to my sled as he did and I LOVE IT now! It's completely set up just the way I like it. :D I have the West Coast Front Suspension with fox floats and Timbersled rear. The money spent is so worth it!

A

akhammer

Nov 26, 2007
anchorage, AK/ SLC Utah
I don't think the XP is "Flickable". I rode a bunch of XP's and I think the Nytro is way more nimble. Just my$.02.

I owned a 146" XP and a Assault last season before I sold both and bought a nytro. I had the XP for over a year and liked the sled, but didn't like all of the problems with it. I jumped great and handled nice, but is not the most "flickable" sled I've ever owned. Had the Assault for 118 miles, went through a crank not once but twice.... enough said. I too have a "stock" nytro and love it. get rid of the skid and front end. Yeah it needs some more power, but you can go anywhere the 800's go. you can tell the weight on the trails, but in the powder it handles and feels lighter then anything other then a M series. If you like the feel of a Rev you should like the feel of the nytro, as I think there characteristics are very similar. keep the nytro and throw a little money at it.

N

northseattle

Jan 4, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Much appreciated.:beer;:beer;:beer;

For those folks that have put a new front end and skid on, does the sled handle a lot better...as in "I can't believe it's the same sled"...or are the gains noticeable but more around the edges?

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
all of the posts so far are great advice...BUT...they are also from riders who live in POWDER areas.

Where we live and ride, in the cascade concrete of the NW, the Nytro chassis will never be made nimble.

I have TS front and rear suspension...Challenger Extreme track...shocks...etc...

The reality of the Nytro chassis is that it is front heavy, and in our wet heavy snow it is difficult to ride.

just my 2c.

If you want to ride one with all of the mods done to it before dropping the coin, let me know once snow flies.

modsledr

N

northseattle

Jan 4, 2009
Thanks modsledr, my gut tells me that you're right. $3k into the sled, and it would still be heavy and not fun in our "cascade champagne."

So...what's everyone's thought on a fun sled for the pacific northwest? Like I said above, I'm not a climber, but do like going off trail. I hear lots of good things about that Ski-Doo 600 e-tec, but I'm not a small guy (240 lbs), and don't know if it will be enough sled to hall my *** around.

Fortunately, the resale market for a 2008 Nytro Mtx is so strong right now:eek:

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
any sled will be difficult to ride in heavy mashed potatoes snow. nytro is a great sled. lighten it up a bit then just turn key and ride it. my nytro has never missed a beat in 2200 miles of deep powder bashing. the engine absolutely never bogs even in massive powder 4 feet plus. i run simmons skis it helps stabilize the front end on the trail.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
while i do agree, the nytro (no matter how much weight you pull off the front) does feel front/top heavy.

but compared to my rev, its much more nimble, and more stable from edge to edge, and for 'holding' carves/sidehills.

light weight battery will pull some front end weight for cheap too..
i'm not sure where after market is at with lt wt side panels/hoods yet on the nytro. let alone weather its worth doing..

possibly getting the bars forward and up would help to. it did for me. anymore, i can't stand riding a sled w/o bars being in a very comfortable location for me.

but, reliability means a lot to me now days..so i'll spend my $ and time on light weight parts instead of engine internals.

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
stand up and use your weight to throw it around! are you riding it or is it riding you? the xp is lighter but you start looking around and see what kind of problems they are having. i realy havn't seen any xp with 10,000 miles on it have you?

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I have both a Nytro and XP and I always prefer the Nytro. Yes, the sled does weigh more however it is easier to throw around and as others have said, it is soo much more reliable. Put gas in and go. I don't know what the snow is like in Western Washington but for "Typical" Western snow the Nytro does great. I will say I've done a few mods to mine to make it that much better but even out of the crate I absolutely loved it. But as always, ride whatever trips your trigger.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Thanks modsledr, my gut tells me that you're right. $3k into the sled, and it would still be heavy and not fun in our "cascade champagne."

So...what's everyone's thought on a fun sled for the pacific northwest? Like I said above, I'm not a climber, but do like going off trail. I hear lots of good things about that Ski-Doo 600 e-tec, but I'm not a small guy (240 lbs), and don't know if it will be enough sled to hall my *** around.

Fortunately, the resale market for a 2008 Nytro Mtx is so strong right now:eek:

Well, I am someone with ZERO brand loyalty, they all have their strengths...and sadly weaknesses...

For about $3k you can have a sled within 40-50 pounds of a stock M sled...

IMHO I think this is the order I woudl do things...

Mtn Tamer (Rear skid) ($1500) Shaves 38 lbs.
Better Boards- $225
Lightweight battery Shaves 10lbs.+ depending upon the model you do...$60
Front end kit (I went Timbersled) shaves 8 lbs...$800
Light Weight Exhaust- I went Skinz (Shaved 7-9 lbs.)
Ditch the sway bar (3lbs)

I have dropped right at 100lbs. off my sled, but I am a little over the $3k area :)

However, if you are wanting to change...I would suggest an M8 probably an 09...they are insanely predictive in the pow, and possibly the best stock sled I have ever ridden...

Hope that helps...

L
Jan 2, 2008
Cranbrook BC
if your budget wont let you put a rear skid in, you gotta put some apex rear springs in it. im only 160 lbs and i was bottoming it out and when i was side hilling the tunnel was rubbing, which got me stuck. the stiffer springs fixed all of that. just a basic set of fox floats on the front help a ton. another easy think to do is flip your track. did that with mine, helped and bit. put a chip in it(resistor on the intake temp sensor) tricks the engine into thinking its colder out and gives it more fuel. maybe that last thing you might need is skies. and then build a new muffler setup for it. I put my CRF450 muffler on mine, sounds rad. only weights like 5 lbs.
none of this easy stuff costs much. it will get u started for cheap and let you see how much better the nytro can be.

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
all of the posts so far are great advice...BUT...they are also from riders who live in POWDER areas.

Where we live and ride, in the cascade concrete of the NW, the Nytro chassis will never be made nimble.

I have TS front and rear suspension...Challenger Extreme track...shocks...etc...

The reality of the Nytro chassis is that it is front heavy, and in our wet heavy snow it is difficult to ride.

just my 2c.

If you want to ride one with all of the mods done to it before dropping the coin, let me know once snow flies.

modsledr

This guy has like 10000000000 miles on his nytro--- I would replace shocks and skid and skis, or just sell it and buy a m-8 ,dragon or a doo --- mod nailed it I have 2 sleds the nytro is great when the snow is powder but in the hard pack it is still to heavy then i ride the dragon I did ride a 2010 162 nytro way better than a 2008 but it is still heavy and underpowered. Unless you want to spend a bunch on the yam then just buy a 2 stoke and be done.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
One cheap out that will help the Nytro carve or boondock better is adding a heavier center spring. It will not help with being a little heavy in the front, but help increase the nimbleness. Just speaking from experience.

Where did you find a heavier center spring???? My suspension guy said it was the stiffest thing he has ever seen in a sled...

Like most people said, you should sell it. Seriously, I have a Nytro too.. A nytro owner requires some sacrifice and some love. You sacrifice the weight, you sacrifice some power. You have to love the motor and the chassis though... If you don't, then the sled isn't for you.

I have a Nytro, and I don't and wouldn't want anything else. It needs help, but it is the closest thing out there FOR ME as the perfect sled. Though really, that just means it is less of a POS then the rest of them.. lol

Last edited:
M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
One more thing I would add...if you are going to switch brands, I would make my choice based on who the dealer is. All of the brands have a good product, that can be made to fit your riding style.

Make sure your dealer rides sleds, and has at least one service person who rides sleds. Support and set up are everything.

Premium Features