• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Proclimb or boost??

Z
Apr 26, 2017
So I currently ride a 2011 M8. It's a great sled however the one complaint I have is that it is not as easy to ride as the newer proclimbs with all of the chassis improvements over the years. I am sure there are guys who can ride my sled much better than I can, however, I am thinking about upgrading sleds. The question I have is, would I be better off upgrading to a newer chassis or finding a pump gas m8 like I have so I have a better power/weight ratio?

I really like the 17 Mountain Cats. 18's are even a little nicer, but I don't want to spend that kind of money just yet. A used 17 MC will probably run me around $9500. I can find a nice pump gas like my m8 for $4500-5000 and really have a wash from my current sled price wise. However, with the turbo comes more tuning and maintenance costs. Looking for some input from those who have maybe done both? Thanks in advance for any input! I really appreciate it!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
16 up proclimb without a doubt!!! 17 mc even better 18 if you can swing it.
you will go the same place as the boosted m8 with a lot more energy left at the end of the day.

Last edited:

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Proclimb, for sure.
I had an 07, an 08 and an 11 and a 14. Each got better and better except the 11 ltd. was A lot better. Then I got a 14 and it was just so so at first. Then I got used to it after several rides. At that point it needed a few things to make it more of what I liked but I was really enjoying it. I updated it to ‘16 parts and then a couple other things. It changed even more and was very fun. I would never think that the 11 was even very close in comparison at that point. Yes it was fun and could be ridden but once on the proclimb you can feel the positive differences. Unfortunately I think my back muscles, biceps and shoulders have shrunk from the less work in all areas. I would say the best part of it is my confidence made a huge jump which has allowed me to be a better rider. No turbo to speak of or compare with but I could imagine it being a workout doing the things you want to do and could do it without the turbo on the newer sled. Ive also got a pro to compare against as well so I’m not just tunnel visioned on the M8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
I am on my second turbo and I will be the first to tell you turbos are awesome but not for the guy on a tight budget. Go with the proclimb!!!!

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Sleds

So I currently ride a 2011 M8. It's a great sled however the one complaint I have is that it is not as easy to ride as the newer proclimbs with all of the chassis improvements over the years. I am sure there are guys who can ride my sled much better than I can, however, I am thinking about upgrading sleds. The question I have is, would I be better off upgrading to a newer chassis or finding a pump gas m8 like I have so I have a better power/weight ratio?

I really like the 17 Mountain Cats. 18's are even a little nicer, but I don't want to spend that kind of money just yet. A used 17 MC will probably run me around $9500. I can find a nice pump gas like my m8 for $4500-5000 and really have a wash from my current sled price wise. However, with the turbo comes more tuning and maintenance costs. Looking for some input from those who have maybe done both? Thanks in advance for any input! I really appreciate it!

I wouldn't turbo a M series sled that I owned. You can probably buy a used one cheaper that's already set up. Just ride it a day in mountains before you buy it.

I'd buy a 2017 Mountan cat or 2018 sled.
The drop and roll and the suspension are way better on the newer sleds.

Z
Apr 26, 2017
Thanks everyone for the useful input!

Sounds like most of you are on board with my train of thought. Like I said, I really like my M8. However, by the end of a day riding I feel absolutely shot. We've gotten to the point where we do a lot more technical tree riding due to the fact that we plan our trips around dates and not necessarily snow conditions. Generally you can find some nice snow in the trees. The M8 just wears me out after a day of riding in the trees.

The boosted M8 would allow me to do more but I would still be shot after a day of riding. Plus, a 16 or newer would probably take me to similar places!

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Thanks everyone for the useful input!

Sounds like most of you are on board with my train of thought. Like I said, I really like my M8. However, by the end of a day riding I feel absolutely shot. We've gotten to the point where we do a lot more technical tree riding due to the fact that we plan our trips around dates and not necessarily snow conditions. Generally you can find some nice snow in the trees. The M8 just wears me out after a day of riding in the trees.

The boosted M8 would allow me to do more but I would still be shot after a day of riding. Plus, a 16 or newer would probably take me to similar places!

The 7 tooth drivers in 2016 sleds with 3" tracks suck.
I have a 2016 ltd.
I did the drop and rolled mountain cat chain case and added 8 tooth drivers to it and loved how it changed the way my sled works.

txinmt

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2013
Montana USA
I agree with everyone else. ‘16 or newer is huge difference. I have a ‘14 and am trying to upgrade to the new 16+ front end geometry.

Where I work, we have Skidoos, Arctic cats and Polaris ranging from 2009 to 2017.

At home I have 4 Arctic Cats from 2003 to my 2014. I like my old ‘07 M8, but my ‘14 is WAY easier to ride and once I upgrade the front end on my ‘14, it should be as “flickable” as the ‘17 Polaris Axys I ride at work but with a more reliable Suzuki motor IMHO.

I may be wrong on this, but in my opinion, the biggest thing a turbo is going to do for you is shorten the life of your motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
My dad turned his old M1000 into a 1300, added a 3" track, and lightened the front end a little bit. It's fun to ride when the snow is deep and the handling doesn't matter as much. On most days though I'd rather ride a 2014+ proclimb.

Premium Features