• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Knocking noise NOT from the engine

A
Mar 11, 2013
I got an Indy 500 for free a couple weeks ago and when I first rode it I noticed a knocking sound coming from under the hood. It almost sounds like a rod but its only heard right as the engine revs up enough to start moving. Someone told me it could be the driveshaft bearing but when I put the sled on a stand and ran it there was no noise. Why would there be a knocking sound when I'm riding it but not when the sleds running on a stand? I have no idea where this knocking sound could be coming from so any help is appreciated. Theres still a few more weeks of winter here in Alaska and I want to go ride.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
First check the drive belt for wear spots, this may cause noises as it spins around. Bearings are funny, under no load (on a track stand) they may sound fine; however, under a real load condition noises can occur. By the way, engines may exhibit similar traits. Get down and dirty and service all, the poor sled may have been stored outside and got rusty. 550iq.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Check your clutches, worn primarys will chatter/knock upon engagement as the moveable sheave contacts the spider buttons. What 550iq said, check the bearings on your mainshaft and jackshaft, pretty common to lose a bearing on the clutch side. Check the tension on your drive chain in the chaincase, chain could be to loose and slapping the case. Have a good look, you'll find something.

Premium Features