• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 vector front mount Headers

M

MDS

Nov 13, 2009
Not here to knock on anyone just looking for answers. Is there a header out there that doesn't brake. Thanks

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
IMO, none of the front mount designs are really impervious to breakage.. just to much leverage up there with a 15# weight bouncing around.. im sure some last longer then others, which is what your looking for but midmounts are going to be way stronger and simpler. not that you probably want to do that sort of conversion, but i feel that its the only way to get the instant boost without dealing with breaking headers.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
IMO, none of the front mount designs are really impervious to breakage.. just to much leverage up there with a 15# weight bouncing around.. im sure some last longer then others, which is what your looking for but midmounts are going to be way stronger and simpler. not that you probably want to do that sort of conversion, but i feel that its the only way to get the instant boost without dealing with breaking headers.

x2 on that i got a couple friends with the front mount setups and while sometimes they seem to last a little longer, its pretty much inevitable that they will break unfortunately. maybe try mounting a bracket to the header that attaches to the frame to support it??

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I have a impulse style header that is custom built. It is 321 schedule 40 thick wall stainless. With a turbo hanger it is probally one of the strongest headers you can get. But with the amount of heat cycling(red hot) anothing could crack.

M
Jan 14, 2004
To quote a site favourite (RS) "There's only 2 kinds of front mount headers, ones that have cracked and ones that are going to crack"

M5

M

MDS

Nov 13, 2009
Vector did you buy another one ? M-5 sad but true. It's bored& stroked 1127 with rods pistons the hole 9 yards works great till header gives up. May center or rear mount it, or just sell it.Whats it worth? Who knows. What's your thoughts.

M
Jan 14, 2004
If you really want to get serious about the header thing make or have one made from sched 40 321 stainless pipe the same as the Impulse headers. They have proven to last as well as any. You might be able to buy a midmount Impulse Nytro header and do a conversion, thats what I did on my Rx1 using the Impulse Apex header. I assume the Vector would use the same header as a Nytro but I'm not 100% certain on that.

M5

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
if you got that much sank into the motor. building a good header to keep it making pwoer would be worth it. go midmount.. check out the one turbo 583 built.. pretty much a perfect example of how to do it.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Vector did you buy another one ? M-5 sad but true. It's bored& stroked 1127 with rods pistons the hole 9 yards works great till header gives up. May center or rear mount it, or just sell it.Whats it worth? Who knows. What's your thoughts.

nope just re welded it was fine after that the new alpine header are really good they have improved them allot.dont think the impulse header will work because of the angle you would have to do allot of modification to the tunnel & bulkhead to get it to fit + diff fuel tank.iam guessing you are running a simmons kit seeing as you are running his big bore & stroker kit,he has had a ton of issues with his headers.the alpine & impulse are way better headers.

M
Jan 13, 2009
salmon arm
i run a vector with motor work and pull 18 psi boost ,with an alpine header and no probs . marty that welds them up for alpine does an excellent job, i wouldnt run anything else and ,alpine has great service to

B

boosted metal

Apr 4, 2008
kelowna,b.c
Had them all break, incuding the newest header and downpipe from the competitors. Purchased the latest Alpine header/ downpipe. Run 22 pds boost on my old trx for 3 seasons and never 1 issue w the latest alpine. Other than forking out the 1600 bones. Huge difference in the Alpines new design than older designs .I personally would recommend it and make sure you use norlock washers.Vibration can cause cracks.

M

MDS

Nov 13, 2009
2 Simmons 2 powderlights Know nothing coming loose super8 fasteners and yes engine is simmons. Maybe alpine worth a call $1600.00 OUCH !

red

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Only thing is using an Alpine header is the turbo is @ an angle compare to the simmons stuff. I had a simons cpr kit, broke alot headers, then used the powderlite replacement header that they make for the simons cpr kit. It lasted abit longer. Gave up on them went to an Impulse header. This was on a RX1, maybe Alpine will make the header fit your turbo set up.

R
Mar 8, 2008
turbine tech header

has any one tried the turbine tech header on there sleds .i know they are alot cheaper. maybe try one of those header.why are the front mount headers so expensive.what is the difference between an alpine header and a powderlites header .they look the same .thanks for any answers.

red

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
MDS said he purchased 2 cpr, 2 powderlite headers. Guessing here, cpr was listed 1st, if he has a cpr kit. The turbo will sit straight, if its a powderlite or an alpine kit the turbo sits @ an angle compared to the engine. Last time I checked, alpine only made headers that were @ an angle. They didnt want to get into making replacement headers for other kits. I know powderlites was making replacement headers for the cpr kit.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
MDS said he purchased 2 cpr, 2 powderlite headers. Guessing here, cpr was listed 1st, if he has a cpr kit. The turbo will sit straight, if its a powderlite or an alpine kit the turbo sits @ an angle compared to the engine. Last time I checked, alpine only made headers that were @ an angle. They didnt want to get into making replacement headers for other kits. I know powderlites was making replacement headers for the cpr kit.

yes alpine headers are angled but you just have to weld a small elbow on your turbo outlet just tell alpine what you are doing they have the elbows,then everthing should line up.alpine stoped using powderlite to make there header since then the header have been very good.the headers are pricey because they are allot of work & the material is $$$.

Last edited:

red

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Thats a good looking exhaust manifold. Too bad they dont have 1 for the 4cylinders. Price is finally priced were it should be! It would sure make for a cool project.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Thats a good looking exhaust manifold. Too bad they dont have 1 for the 4cylinders. Price is finally priced were it should be! It would sure make for a cool project.

they do custom work too if you go to there site not sure what a custom one would cost but these guys know there stuff when it comes to manifold all cnc machined too.

Premium Features