• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

xc or xc-w

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
talking 300's

whats better for maybe making one into a snowbike down the road.

dont want to hear "well i think this or that"

wanna hear from some fellas that own em.

appreciate. tks

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Xc, no question about it

I found the XC tranny to be a little gappy on the snow so i think the W would be horrible. Keep in mind, only 1st and 2nd gear are different ratios (numerically higher on the W). The 2-3 shift is critical though IMO. And you do end up in 1st sometimes in the deep stuff.

The SX would be best but the top speed would be awful with the 5 speed

If your talking a 17 or 18, i would just buy a used set of spring forks and ditch the air forks.

Just by 2 cents

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
It all depends?

We have two '08 XCWs mounted with Camsos. They work great in Eastern Canada - relatively low elevations. I've tried the newer XC/Yeti out in Revelstoke last year. It was nice too but remember, unless one wants a dedicated snow bike, and have the storage room, you must also consider what's best for the summer.

Life is rough and so full of compromises.:juggle:

This past weekend: last ride of the season up at the chalet ~ only 2kms in wet, frozen, crusty snow, then called it quits. Can't wait until next winter!

DSCN8331.jpg DSCN8328.jpg

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
SX is a better choice then both and the XC is a better choice then the XCW. The wide ratio transmission is gappy and they are PDS(linkless) plus they are pair with a set of forks(xplo'r) that need work just for dirt use. And depending on the model the W's can be very detuned.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Well just believe it then!

I can’t believe people are still asking this question. I can’t believe it was ever even a question to begin with.

Give portgrinder a break...it's a valid question. While I do think, for most, the 4Ts are the best SB choice power-wise, what are you going to do when you have to make the existing 2T work for snow biking as well as keep your summer hobby alive? Nothing beats the 300 XCW in the dirt on tight, tough terrain and needing so little maintenance IMO.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Knowing what i know about Portgrinder something tells me it wont be a 300 lol. Im sure he has BRC 500 on his mind. If it was my bike it would be a XC !

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Nah I'm just thinking ahead a bit. Need a new summer ride.

bRC looks nice but I'm not gonna be the first. I know how long it takes to get a big 2 stroke making 85+. Would be nice with the newer engine design too. Then a fella would have a counterbalancer.

Y

yooper 8

Apr 14, 2008
I have basically the same question, but regarding KTM 450s. I have a 2017 450 sxf with a timbersled 120. I also have a 2016 450 XCW for single track and woods riding in the summer. I was thinking the XCW would have some nice perks as a snowbike: bigger fuel tank, electric AND kick start, headlight and taillight with alternator, six speed tranny, nice "long" 2nd gear. Would it work good if it was geared down a little, maybe two teeth on the front? Is there a way to map these so they run like the SXF?
I am going to set up a 2018 KTM with a Yeti 129SS and I am trying to decide on the right bike to put it on.
Sorry to hijack, but thought it was similar enough to blend in!
Thanks.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I have basically the same question, but regarding KTM 450s. I have a 2017 450 sxf with a timbersled 120. I also have a 2016 450 XCW for single track and woods riding in the summer. I was thinking the XCW would have some nice perks as a snowbike: bigger fuel tank, electric AND kick start, headlight and taillight with alternator, six speed tranny, nice "long" 2nd gear. Would it work good if it was geared down a little, maybe two teeth on the front? Is there a way to map these so they run like the SXF?
I am going to set up a 2018 KTM with a Yeti 129SS and I am trying to decide on the right bike to put it on.
Sorry to hijack, but thought it was similar enough to blend in!
Thanks.

Definitely the sxf.
Pick what you want instant power and trackspeed or slow revving diesel.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Of all the bikes I have tried I wold say definitely get the XC 450 is my favourite snow-scoot hands down. In heavy spring snow it is amazing how much down on power and Torque the 2 strokes are. The 2017 XC Gearing from bottom to top end is much better than most bikes , very little vibrations and a huge wide spread of power. My Yamaha has more in the bottom and mid range , but signs of sooner and even geared up the XC still reals me in on top. That motor is just sweat period. I would not own any 2 stroke unless it is a late model balanced Motor. If you dial it for snow it will not be a good summer of road wagon anymore , so the whole 2 stroke argument looses a lot of ground there. The only thing about the 2 strokes is they sound so sweet that alone could almost sway me to the dark side. One Bike I would rely like to try is the Beta 500 heard lots of good things about them but never rode one. I Ride a YZ 450 and have some time on 300s a CR 500 Ktm's from 350 to 530s > If I end up spending money next fall it will be on a XC 450

E
Dec 19, 2007
I built a 350 xcfw with sx cams and maping. I tested back to back with xcf many times, the only place the xcf worked better was on the arenacross track the lighter crank would get it out of the corners faster. The rest of the time the w was better. It was awesome in snow.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Nah I'm just thinking ahead a bit. Need a new summer ride.

bRC looks nice but I'm not gonna be the first. I know how long it takes to get a big 2 stroke making 85+. Would be nice with the newer engine design too. Then a fella would have a counterbalancer.

BRC 500 is counterbalanced! That is a major part of the attraction. And the power of coarse. But I know It would be way cheaper to install an ol cr or kx5 in a steel frame than shell out for the BRC. But, smooth low vibe .5 liter, thats not a cr or kx as we all know!

Premium Features