• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Con rods breaking on turbo etecs

chad006

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2015
Hey fellas, S&M has this exact thread thought i would start one here cuz I just kicked a rod on my 2013 aero etec 7lbs of boost 1000 km. What's everyone on here using for billet cranks/con rods?

Last edited:

Backcountrypro

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nobody wants to reply because we have had good luck so far and just as soon as we say we have never had a issue.....KABOOM!

In all honesty Brycter might be able to give a answer as they have been doing 800 Rotax turbos for many years.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Blew a my PTO side rod 2 weeks ago. 650 miles 7 lbs. Big john should have me up and running shortly.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Carp

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Blew a my PTO side rod 2 weeks ago. 650 miles 7 lbs. Big john should have me up and running shortly.

Who's kit? Running premix? Did you get the oil pump turned up?

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Silber kit. I usually run a splash of oil in each tank but forgot to do it the day it blew up. Weather or not that anything to do with it I have no idea. I have candoo lit haven't turned oiling up. This was my first trip out this year but my last trip last year. I was in the big horns and hit the det sensor 5 times. I am running 50/50 91/av. I don't no if I had bad gas or what but I think the det caused my rod to blow. I am a noob to turbos and the only in my group so I am open to any other suggestions.

chad006

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2015
I completely agree that the det was my issue. But with the fuel controller I have available to me right now it's next to impossible to be in perfect tune at all times. Not saying it is not my fault that it detonated because it was, however having a rod that will handle the first mistake I make without failing is nice. A second chance is always nice. Hoping to eleviate my inability to tune and have a new fuel controller by the time she's back up and running. :face-icon-small-coo

chad006

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2015
I also think that I may have had a crank that was no longer true, whether it was from a belt grenading at wfo or what I don't know. But it's my only explanation for the pto side being the only one detonating. If you ask around a majority if not all of the etec rod failures have been pto side.

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
I also think that I may have had a crank that was no longer true, whether it was from a belt grenading at wfo or what I don't know. But it's my only explanation for the pto side being the only one detonating. If you ask around a majority if not all of the etec rod failures have been pto side.

Your rod broke exactly just like my friends. Has 300 miles on his and he blew a belt WFO a few days before. We have zero blueing of the lower rod, actually looks brand new. No det sensor or indication of anything wrong. It was his last day of the trip and heading home on the trail he let off and got right back on it and it was all over with.

IMG_7139.jpg

chad006

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2015
I do believe det was a huge factor in my particular blow up but the fact that all the rod failures have been pto side leads me to believe that there is an underlying issue. Allot of guys have been taking rods out shortly after belt failure, it possible that the sudden loss of load at wfo is causing the cranks to tweak slightly with det being the finishing touch?

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
Your rod broke exactly just like my friends. Has 300 miles on his and he blew a belt WFO a few days before. We have zero blueing of the lower rod, actually looks brand new. No det sensor or indication of anything wrong. It was his last day of the trip and heading home on the trail he let off and got right back on it and it was all over with.
Nothing new here and it doesn't require a turbo. Engine #2 in my XP was just like your friends at 500 miles, rod exploded. I shipped it back to skidoo for inspection, as I felt I got a short block with a defective crank. It was a waste of time & money, in the end I broke out my checkbook & bought another short block. #3 lasted over 3000 mi. #4 isn't installed yet.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I do believe det was a huge factor in my particular blow up but the fact that all the rod failures have been pto side leads me to believe that there is an underlying issue. Allot of guys have been taking rods out shortly after belt failure, it possible that the sudden loss of load at wfo is causing the cranks to tweak slightly with det being the finishing touch?
After thinking about this. I had a belt delaminate the day before. Didn't blow just had a bad vibration. Now I am wondering if that anything do with it.

chad006

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2015
ya the blown belt before broken rod is proving to be the case with most of the failures I have heard about. Might be more than a coincidence.

chad006

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2015
I didn't personally blow a belt on mine but I bought it second hand with turbo already installed. When pulling engine out last week I found allot of belt shrapnel so could be the culprit in my case as well. Just took a little longer to finally fail in my case.

Premium Features