• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Ski-Doo Summit Rev 850 Rider Impressions from Mount Baker

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
The track is too small for that much power I would think, track speed should be crazy making it easy to wash out over a sled with half the track speed

16" wide, 165" long, 3" lug.... Too small for that much power??

Well for some reason my 15" wide track holds a side hill just fine with over 200hp...

Do not think the track is the issue but hey, maybe the next step is a 18" wide? :face-icon-small-dis

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
How many Axys sleds have you hauled out this year Smart ***? The Axys has proven to be very reliable. In my many years of riding, we have hauled out many more Ski Doo's than Polaris sleds. That is with groups with way more Polaris sleds in them so the Doo's were breaking down at a higher rate than the Polaris sleds by a major factor. Just saying!

Almost had to tow out an AXYS but it burned to the ground so there wasn't enough left to tow.

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
I am not buying what you are selling. Where I ride in Idaho, we have had one Axys go down out of hundreds. Carl's has seen very, very few issues with the Axys. It can't be that different in other parts of the country. I find your argument spurious in the extreme. The new open class (not an 800) Ski Doo may be a great sled in the heavyweight class. The Axys is the light heavyweight champ though. The Ski Doo has no competition in its heavyweight class except the Yamaha and Cat 4 stroke turbos. It SHOULD not be compared against 800 class sleds. Are you listening Snowest?

2006-07 Polaris 755 compared to 700's in snowest shootout.......or have we forgotten already.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I don't care if you buy it. And there you go again claiming the Doo is a heavyweight. If you're referring to the engines power you'd be spot on but we know your obsessed with how "heavy" this new chassis from Doo is. Lol.

The Doos dry weight is only 15lbs heavier than the the poo (165 vs 163). So the poo is a lightweight and the Doo isn't?? Lmao. Get over it. It's only 15 lbs dry weight.

Maybe poo and cat will build 850's so they can complete with this new Doo.

Look guys, I have rode the XM and the T3. Great machines. I am just tired of the pokes at Polaris reliability, especially with the Axys H.O. engine. It is not a valid argument anymore. Furthermore, my 16 Axys 163 is in the 395 lb. range dry with the addition of a Diamond S Titanium can and SLP pipe. Weight matters to me and the Axys has proven itself to also be very effective at putting available power on the snow without trenching and other bad habits. I am sure the new 850 is going to be a great sled. If I had the money and time to have two sleds, I would probably buy one to ride along with my Axys. I have used this analogy before and it will get me into trouble with the Dodge and Ford guys but the GM/Chevrolet Duramax/Allison combination has lower advertised horsepower and torque than the other brands but it has proven best year after year in the shootouts that include heavy towing in the mountains. Why, it puts the available power on the ground and it works better on the downhills. Look it up in the Truck Trend archives if you don't believe me. The Polaris Axys and the Pro before it put the power on the snow better and topped it off with superior handling characteristics in most, if not all, conditions. That also is documented.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
seen 4 pros towed out last time i rode.guess i should have stopped them
and asked..how do like your superior handling characteristics?

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
seen 4 pros towed out last time i rode.guess i should have stopped them
and asked..how do like your superior handling characteristics?

Polaris owns the market in Southwest Idaho. Therefore, there are far more Polaris sleds on the snow than other brands. From that one could infer that you would see more Polaris sleds broken than other brands based on the difference in numbers alone. However, that has not been the case here. The Pro had motor issues and that is also documented. However, the H.O. in the Axys has been very reliable over two seasons if you count the trail sled experience last year. As said above, I reiterate that I have personally experienced more breakdowns with Ski Doo sleds than Polaris sleds in this area over my 17 years of riding. Why? I really don't know the answer to that question. My buddy (younger and far better rider) has blown up a lot of sleds but his worst experiences were when he was riding Ski Doo sleds. He blew up an XP five times in one season (all under warranty). To be fair, he has blown up Polaris sleds too. Since the Pros came out, he has not had a burndown or other major issue through 3 different sleds (2011, 2013 and 2016 Axys). If they are going to break, he will break them. I have had multiple Polaris 800s and I have never had a major mechanical failure on the hill. My 08 had a cracked cylinder skirt that was discovered before it was catastrophic and it was repaired under warranty. The sticks and stones that you guys are throwing go both ways. Both brands have their share and then some of horror stories of broken cranks, seizures, etc. That is indisputable.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Polaris owns the market in Southwest Idaho. Therefore, there are far more Polaris sleds on the snow than other brands. From that one could infer that you would see more Polaris sleds broken than other brands based on the difference in numbers alone. However, that has not been the case here. The Pro had motor issues and that is also documented. However, the H.O. in the Axys has been very reliable over two seasons if you count the trail sled experience last year. As said above, I reiterate that I have personally experienced more breakdowns with Ski Doo sleds than Polaris sleds in this area over my 17 years of riding. Why? I really don't know the answer to that question. My buddy (younger and far better rider) has blown up a lot of sleds but his worst experiences were when he was riding Ski Doo sleds. He blew up an XP five times in one season (all under warranty). To be fair, he has blown up Polaris sleds too. Since the Pros came out, he has not had a burndown or other major issue through 3 different sleds (2011, 2013 and 2016 Axys). If they are going to break, he will break them. I have had multiple Polaris 800s and I have never had a major mechanical failure on the hill. My 08 had a cracked cylinder skirt that was discovered before it was catastrophic and it was repaired under warranty. The sticks and stones that you guys are throwing go both ways. Both brands have their share and then some of horror stories of broken cranks, seizures, etc. That is indisputable.

Polaris owns the market in the entire mountain region from the west coast through the Rocky Mountains and then some.

DPG

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Look guys, I have rode the XM and the T3. Great machines. I am just tired of the pokes at Polaris reliability, especially with the Axys H.O. engine. It is not a valid argument anymore. Furthermore, my 16 Axys 163 is in the 395 lb. range dry with the addition of a Diamond S Titanium can and SLP pipe. Weight matters to me and the Axys has proven itself to also be very effective at putting available power on the snow without trenching and other bad habits. I am sure the new 850 is going to be a great sled. If I had the money and time to have two sleds, I would probably buy one to ride along with my Axys. I have used this analogy before and it will get me into trouble with the Dodge and Ford guys but the GM/Chevrolet Duramax/Allison combination has lower advertised horsepower and torque than the other brands but it has proven best year after year in the shootouts that include heavy towing in the mountains. Why, it puts the available power on the ground and it works better on the downhills. Look it up in the Truck Trend archives if you don't believe me. The Polaris Axys and the Pro before it put the power on the snow better and topped it off with superior handling characteristics in most, if not all, conditions. That also is documented.

Listen guys. I'm sick and tired of poo riders taking pokes at Doos being heavy. It hurts my feelings and it's just not true anymore with this new Doo so just stop it.

:boink:

Haha

I just had a buddy text me yesterday about how his brand new axys blew a hole in the side of the piston. Sorry if that's what you call not having problems. He's hating it because we are just starting to get good snow again and he can't ride. I wonder how well it handles without an engine. Lmao.

Last edited:
A
Feb 12, 2012
washington play grounds
axys

I did forgot to say it was our fault that the polaris had to be towed home and I never want to brand bash I really like the axys and haven't seen any problems from his axys or from another buddy's axys they r very reliable and just as good of a sled as the skidoo!!! They both have their good quality and it is all on your preference same as a dodge to Ford to Chevy they all have good and bad. There's no way anyone can go wrong with either sleds!!!!

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I did forgot to say it was our fault that the polaris had to be towed home and I never want to brand bash I really like the axys and haven't seen any problems from his axys or from another buddy's axys they r very reliable and just as good of a sled as the skidoo!!! They both have their good quality and it is all on your preference same as a dodge to Ford to Chevy they all have good and bad. There's no way anyone can go wrong with either sleds!!!!

I agree. Mostly just like to stir up sh!t

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I agree. Mostly just like to stir up sh!t

Yeah, it goes both ways. Look folks, these sleds are making 200 horsepower per liter and are run at WOT in tough conditions. They all break occasionally. A guy once described a snowmobile as a chain saw motor with a big rubber band on it. Pretty dang accurate if you ask me. They all have issues. However, the fun factor makes it worth it for me. I have been pretty lucky with few breakdowns and never a tow out.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
We have been out with boosted poos, maybe not the new axis and I also heard from impulse it loves boost.. For that I give Poo credit and hope to see one soon before season is done..

As for my boosted impulse Etec, it's been flawless first 1000miles and a/f is stuck on 12.8, there is no need to touch any fueling anywhere.. And runs very strong track speeds

http://youtu.be/UUYivMhqn7Q

My opinion... I have not ridden the 850 yet but will here soon, I am only going off of what I have been told from actual test riders and comments. It makes more power than any other NA stock sled, thats all I got.

I am not sure if most your boosted Polaris's were Pro chassis? But the Axys on boost is ridiculous! It is better in every area than my boosted Pro. With that said my boosted Pro ran great and still does...

We have a 15 Boosted ETEC and the 16 Axys and the Axys is much better. You simply just can not pull fuel on the bottom end of an ETEC where it is need to make it run anywhere close as clean as the Axys 800 ho. The axys also pulls much more weight for the same amount of boost.

Now the ETEC is is still extremely impressive, it just does not perform like the Ayxs does on boost.

This is my comparison side by side each time. Time will tell how the 850 does on boost but sounds like it may not be needed. But everything starts that way! ahahaha

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
I have seen the opposite many times. So what?

i suppose you've seen Sasquatch as well...? you guys already ruined norona's thread........so i figured i would have some fun. the irony of polaris' slogan is hilarious!

OldMtn58

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2015
Just a thought but Poo must not of been towed before, considering they strapped it to ski loops.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
i suppose you've seen Sasquatch as well...? you guys already ruined norona's thread........so i figured i would have some fun. the irony of polaris' slogan is hilarious!

Surely one good hit deserves another. Anyway, I don't know what the Ski Doo slogan is but I am sure that one could find irony in it as well. I guess that none of you guys have EVER towed out a Ski Doo. That would also be ironic too based on my experience. There must be something in the water or gasoline here that causes Ski Doos to break down too. The way you guys talk, one would think that they never, ever break down. If that was the case, I suspect that they would have put their competitors out of business. I presume that Yamaha owns the reliability title which is understandable given that their sleds are all four strokes and they build damn good four strokes. Of course, they are also damn heavy and low on power unless boosted. Sorry if we ruined the post but it started with brand bashing so that is how it will end!

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
But did Doo buy clutching stuff frpm Poo?? Since they named the new clutch pDrive?
Has the correct design at last.

Sent fra min GT-I9295 via Tapatalk

Premium Features