• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

THE EVOLUTION OF MY 2012 PRO RMK

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
It's a little late in the season to start this thread, but here it is. I'd like to share what I've done with my sled and how everything works out.

It started out as a black 155 pro rmk from VOHK. I really liked the look of it as is, but don't want my sled to look like anyone elses. Before riding it, I removed the headlights and cut out the stock lens but left the mounting holes. I carry a lead-dog helmet light, so the stock light is unnecessary weight. I also installed a set of BetterBoards for obvious reasons and swapped the stock track out with the all new hyped up 'peak'. First ride was in early November, and it was a stuckfest! Very easy to fall in love with this sled after 1 ride.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

sled home.jpg headlight cover.jpg betterboards.jpg peak.jpg 1st ride.jpg

Last edited:
C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
How did you like the peak? I thought about it but ended up going with a powerclaw.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Next step, I cut 4.5 inches off of the back of the seat and 2.5 inches of foam off of the top. The all black cover completed this project. The only reason at all I even left the seat, is for a little additional cushion on jump and drop landings. Thankfully Polaris uses a good simple design. The sled really looked good without any stickers. But, I already had a wrap in mind.... Next was the install of a custom SLEDSKIN wrap. The colors really come together on the snow.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

seat.jpg blackout.jpg wrap.jpg wrap3.jpg wrap4.jpg

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Next to go on the sled was a Sled Solutions backcountry tunnel bag. This thing is awesome and actually gives the sled some much needed storage. It has 3 seperate compartments and mounts up very cleanly to the seat supports. I use one side compartment for tools and hardware, the other side for survival stuff if needed, and the center compartment for a spare belt, food, water bottle, and a 32 oz powerade. It has held up extremely well. As December rolled in, so did some big snow!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

sled solutions bag.jpg sled solutions bag2.jpg deep ride.jpg stuck.jpg stuck2.jpg 12-5-12.jpg (Blaine).jpg5.jpg 12-5-12.jpg (Blaine).jpg8.jpg

P

Pertzbro

Nov 12, 2008
Denver, CO. Originally NW Iowa
What is the grey material that you have over your helmet? I need that! I never wear anything under my helmet and my neck and chin are needing to be covered the older I get.

Thanks!

P.S. That is some SICK snow! I bet that day you were wishing you had a 163 or bigger!

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
How did you like the peak? I thought about it but ended up going with a powerclaw.

The peak did not perform to my expectations. In fairness, our snow went from neck deep fluff to pretty much sugar. We never established a good solid base while I had it on my sled. In the conditions we had, the track seemed to trench a lot more than it floated. It also required a bit more power to turn it and at 12,000 feet with a completly stock sled, I was seeing 2-4 mph less track speed than similar sleds with the stock track. I was very anxious to try it once I got my turbo and had the horsepower to really spin it and move snow. However, I removed it before my turbo wans installed. There is a possibility I may try another one, and if I do I will give an updated evaluation.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Who's seat cover did you use?

The cover came from the shop where I purchased my sled. Alpine Motor Sports (VOHK) I believe it is a Polaris seat cover, just all black. It fit the foam and frame perfectly. When I stapled it after my trim job, I just had to take my time and stretch the material to keep it from wrinkling.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
What is the grey material that you have over your helmet? I need that! I never wear anything under my helmet and my neck and chin are needing to be covered the older I get.

Thanks!

P.S. That is some SICK snow! I bet that day you were wishing you had a 163 or bigger!

It is a NEKKR. It's a piece of snow resistant material in the shape of a triangle. One edge has velcro sewn all the way across and you stick other pieces of velcro to your helmet for them to stay in place. In the bottom corner, there is a magnet sewn in and it sticks to a pin that you stick through your jacket. It's flat out awesome on cold, windy, and especially deeeeeep days! I no longer wear a balaclava. I also don't get snow down my neck and chest and my zipper is never frozen. It's very convenient to remove when you don't need it. When I'm tree riding, I'm breathing harder and don't necessarily need it, so I roll it up and put it in my pocket. A friend of mine in Steamboat Springs came up with the idea and makes them. Anyone interested can check out www.nekkr.com .

P.S. I was wishing for my turbo on those days that's for sure!

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
The next parts to arrive came from ZBROZ Racing. I installed ARS-FX a-arms and EXIT X1 shocks. I went with the X1's for the ability to adjust the compression to fine tune the ride for whatever specific application I need on a day to day basis. These EXIT shocks are tough and provide an extremely plush ride. The a-arms are a new design this year and came in a cool gunmetal grey color. The first picture shows a good comparison between the stock arms and shocks and the offering from ZBROZ.

attachment.php

attachment.php

zbroz.jpg zbroz2.jpg

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Matt... I noticed that with the peaks track it takes a bit more breaking-in than most tracks do... A few hundred miles before it really starts to perform...Those conditions that you describe would have been pretty bad with an un-broken-in Peaks.

Had the same track on a PRO locally and loved it ... It was on the only fresh day we had here.. but it had 500 miles of use on it... most of that on Chitty snow.. It was well broken in.

Food for thought.

Premium Features