• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

is it bad to have a turbo apex upside down.. what should i worry about

catssuk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Edgerton Wi.
ok i have a 07 apex, with a front mount alpine turbo, im new to this 4 stroke stuff. but with my 2 strokes, especially when im stuck. i always just rolled it over upside down and fired it up and went on my way.. can i do this to this sled also,or is a tapex upside down a bad thing.. any info will be great.. thank you in advance... chris.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
shutoff the sled if possible when it flips over. there is the possibility that it will pump oil out the breather hose. if the sled is upside down for a min i find that the engine light will come on sensing low oil i just let the sled sit for a min then fire it up.

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Upside down

Check out OFT web site. They make a tether shut-off that also can incorporate a shut off valve at oil tank to prevent oil from flowing into airbox when the tether is pulled(when your off the sled cause it's upside down)

B
Mar 13, 2009
Libby Montana
You just need to remember that there is an oil pump in 4 strokes that pumps oil through the crank and into the top end lubing your bearings and rockers and the like. If the oil is in the top end and not being picked up by the pump there will be no oil pressure to your bearings which will result in some serious damage... not rocket science just common sense. If your sled spends a lot of time upside down take a break and let is sit rightside up for a while allowing all the oil to return to the bottom!:face-icon-small-hap

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Chris, oil can leak out of the vent tube while the sled is up side down.
An Apex is set-up differently then the Nytros and Phazers. On an Apex the vent line is routed from the left front of the crankcase to the air box (on a stock sled) or on boosted sleds the hose can be routed down towards the belly pan. On boosted sleds, they have a long vent hose that may or may not have a filter on the end.
Most of the oil is in the tank, there is some oil in the bottom of the crankcase though. On an Apex it's the oil that is in the bottom of the crankcase that can leak out of the vent hose. The oil in the tank on an Apex is some what captured, because the hoses are routed to the engine, instead of the atmosphere (or air box) like on a Nytro/Phazer.
Nytros and Phazers will leak directly out of the oil tank.
A roll-over valve can be installed in the long vent line, or up on the engine where the vent attaches to the left front of the crankcase. To help prevent the oil that is in the crankcase from leaking out.
Also even with a roll-over valve installed on an Apex, you do not want to leave the sled upside down for an extended peroid of time. Since it is possible to get an air lock in the oil pump supply line. It is rare for this to happen however.

Last edited:
Premium Features