• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Camo Challenger Extreme vs Challenger vs Pol 5.1

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
hey, just got my '13 Pro RMK 800 155" home. Thinking of swapping track with tracksusa.com before I ride it so I can get the exchange. Since I dont know much about the factory Series 5.1 track I have a few questions and was hoping someone could compare and contrast the 3 tracks listed above for me.

Stock Pol series 5.1 track- I know it works well in the deep fluff, I am in MT and get a few of those days per year. I also know its a tough track.

Camo challenger 2.5 (9104M)- I had this track on my Assault 146" it was a direct replacement on that sled, loved the track, trenched a little in soft snow but was a great all-around track, tough too. but how does it compare to the 5.1? Direct bolt-on, 2.86 pitch, very nice.

Camo challenger Extreme 2.5 (9174M)- this is a new design from Camoplast from what I understand, without teeth on the tips of the lugs, how does it compare to the old challenger as far as durometer and weight? How about durability? (3" pitch, I realize this track would require a driver change, which I'm not opposed to, gearing down and increased tunnel clearance makes it worthwhile)

Basically, I am looking for the best all-around track, I want to have my cake and eat it too. I want it to work as good or better than the stock track in the powder and since I love spring riding I want it to hook up on wet spring/hard pack snow too. Which is the best combo of powder performance/set-up snow performance/weight/durabilty??

Dont know much about the peak track either but from what I understand its a fairly soft track that doesnt work so good in the spring....?? correct me if I'm wrong.

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
New camo

According to camoplast, the new extreme is 8% lighter.
It is suppose to do better in powder.
You have to swap drivers to go to the 3.0 pitch

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
The new generation extreme is a great track in all snow conditions. Very workable in harder snow too. I am looking forward to seeing how the new 2.6 powerclaw is going to work this season also. Looks like a great track!

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
i don't know much about the diff. between the tracks out there
but i did have an 09 dragon with the camo challenger and it was a huge improvement over the stock track
but on the pro i think you'll be impressed at how well the stock track works
lighter weight, better susp. design, both??? i don't know
just seems to work pretty good
i guess what i'm saying is you may wanna put some miles on it before you go spending $500-$900
good luck

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Search

Its been beat to death recently.
I've had good luck searching snowest thru google.

I have a reg style camo x on my 11 and i love it. Better than the 5.1 in all but slow speed bottomless fluff. As soon as your going it will highmark the stocker.

Last edited:

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Talked with Camoplast at the Seattle snow show over the weekend. The new peak track has a little softer compound on the outer 2/3s of the paddle than last years track. The design should give superior floatation in the fluff, yet still allow great hook up in wetter heavier snow. As always it has the design to funnel snow down into the center lug to move maximum snow. Should be night and day better than last year. I might actually look at that track over the other two. But thats just my opinion...

I also discussed a 15" x 155" x 3" track. Hopefully it becomes a reality! Yes please!

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
the fact that the series 5.1 was so soft kinda turned me off on it but after hearing that its harder compound this year and having the option to trim it I think I will keep it and run it, it does feel pretty hard. (thats what she said)

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I just bought a pro that has the 3.0 extreme 162 on it i have not rode it yet but the guy i bought it from is doing another 13 pro and going through the hassle of installing it and we ride wa concrete

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
the fact that the series 5.1 was so soft kinda turned me off on it but after hearing that its harder compound this year and having the option to trim it I think I will keep it and run it, it does feel pretty hard. (thats what she said)

I trimmed the nubs off my stock 5.1 this season, I'd figure I would try this first since it got such good reviews. Essentially turns it into a 2.25 camo extreme. Plus saves a bit of rotating mass off the track. Worth a shot first!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I ran the CE on my D8 and it was one of the best upgrades on that sled. The 5.1 just felt like a flat tire. However, the 5.1 works so much better on the Pro. I too would like to try the new Peak track but I'm afraid I will ruin how well the Pro jumps up on the snow. I'm hoping to hear more from others.

One option is to cut down the 5.1 track just a tad. This is often referred to as the F-Bomb mod as Rob Heeb experimented and made the idea work. This will reduce the rotating mass and speed up track speed. With a heavier thicker track you will lose some track speed. However, once you cut the track you won't be able to sell it quite as easily as a stock 5.1 track.

D

dmaxd2500

Sep 29, 2009
G WYO
I trimmed my 5.1 last year and it helped alot on harder packed and heavier snow, downhill breaking was also improved. I didn't think it gave anything up in the deep bottomless pow. I think it was a worth-while mod and would do it again. This experience was on a stock '12 Pro. This year I am turboing so I'm goin with a CE 2.5. I do have the trimmed 5.1 for sale in the swap meet section if anyone's interested. Here's the link-

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317971

Premium Features