• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 RMZ 450

W
Mar 10, 2010
Toying with the idea of buying a cheap RM-Z and converting to a snow bike. I would love any input from the guys who have already done this.

Looking for air box/fuel map/thermostat/headlight/handwarmer input. I have searched a couple of times and only found one guy that was quite happy with his RM-Z. I was not able to find any other comments. Suzuki wasn't even listed in the 'what bike do you ride?' poll.

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
I dont have a RM-Z but any of the mx bike are great bikes to put a MH kit on.Modify airbox as needed.I cut botttom of my air box out so snow does not fill up box,I dont run hand warmers,or lights.Have tried to keep set up simple.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
I would recommend 2 stroke 250, the engines are much better suited for WFO, four strokes are not only more expensive to buy but also to maintain and rebuild. Been down both roads, wont buy a 4stroke again for a snow bike.

I had an 08 and am on a 2011 now and ride with a 2013. I've ridden every brand mx450 with a mountain horse kit. I prefer the RMZ's.

Snowbike specific mod list:
-Pod Filter
-KTM thermostat
-LED light bar
-Moto365/sxs engine cover
-Pre-filters over the radiators
-Dobeck Gen4 AFR+

Bike works great, maintains good water temps and rips!

So you're recommending a ktm thermostat for a Suzuki? Pretty new to Suzuki so you'll have to explain that one slowly to me.

RMZ's don't have a thermostat and I don't know of a suzuki thermostat that you can buy. You can buy one for a KTM for $45 that fits on the RMZ without cutting any hoses, you just have to plug the by-pass.

Not having to cut hoses makes it easy to remove the thermostat for summer time.

Premium Features