• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro climb vs. old M chassis

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Just in case the original question was overlooked. :focus:

Wow man... you're really helpful. Thanks for reposting that.... none of us had ANY idea what that said.

Take a second to get past your own butthurt a bit and READ the posts... the comparisons are there for a reason. If the PC handled as well as the M I would never have even considered that OTHER sled... that's the point. It's not complicated man.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
images

WYOF7EXT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2011
Laramie, WY
My two cents back to the OP. Late last year we picked up a '10 M800 SnoPro 153" for the wifey. We actually had some decent snow late so had a good chance to ride. I feel the '10 is easier and more predictable on one ski once you get it there and has a wider sweet spot to keep it balanced with little effort. You can stop it on one ski and it wants to stay there, grab the throttle and off you go. The PC's sweet spot seems be rotated over further which of course makes it easier to wash out or fall off the side. I admit the '12 is more twitchy one one ski but I personally like the challenge.

I feel like the '10 takes more effort over my '12 to make it do about everything except this one thing. I haven't tried any downhill turns cause if the wifey is with we don't ride in those areas.

Now my '12 PC has some mods like a 2.5"CE, skid drop, powder pros, -35 lbs so it is not stock vs stock but no way would I want to trade to the '10. I can carve deeper and generally do anything with less effort all day long on the PC although I do get stuck worse because I take it places I don't think I would try on the '10. Again, my two cents I am 43 and re-learning how to ride on these newer machines...

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
95% of the time the PC is going to be a better sled when setup right with the '13 setup.

The factor on the downhill turning is when laying over the PC on a steeper down hill it will roll up on the panels and either try to roll or wash out and your stuck. Deep days its not as noticeable and can be managed but on less snow days it will prob roll you over and be a pain where the M will do its thing no prob.
This is not due to lack of talent or skill its a factor of width and what makes contact to the snow.

Thats why I narrowed mine so it does everything a M will do and more, but a lot better and easier. The M is still a great sled.

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
to the OP,
i had a 2010 CF with a 141 which i absolutely loved and then went to 2012 XF 800 HC,havent been able to put my finger on it...don't get me wrong i love the new proclimb chassis...but something just felt different...yes many variables with the new chassis and rider forward etc etc.
...until this week...i noticed l bent my 2012 bars last ride out,so i had a set of 2010 bars laying around,so i threw them on after a few mods(including Mtn strap removal.)...and wow what a huge difference...i like and miss the older style bars,the rake and the extra height,my old bars give me a 2 1/4 rise over stock config.
i now have back a very familiar feel.i believe its a start.
i also just put on the 2014 spindles and shaved a couple more pounds.Then i moved onto the snow flap like Doo & Poo they have been cheese grated...so is mine now

Last edited:
W
Nov 12, 2012
Fernie
We put on a few km every year with or company and I did not like the Proclimb when I first rode it, but having to stay currant made me give it a shot. First things first the 13 is way better to ride the the 12, and really you need to gear the 13 down. the trouble with the Procimb is that it wants to turn , it wants to climb and will feel like it is touchy. When you get back on a M you will see how good the Proclimb is. The M feels like you are riding a bath tube with a track and truly handles that way once your use to how little effort the Proclimb needs.

I spend a tone of time every year teaching riders everything from the basics to extremely steep and supper thick tree riding, drops.... I would much prefer to teach a rider on a Proclimb over a M and I believe that that speaks to how easy Proclimb to ride.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I own an M, which also means I'm used to an M and clearly since I still have it I like it. I have only ridden a PC once on a sh*ty snow day and I can say I really wasn't a fan of it. To be fair I didn't give it enough of a test to really say, it was bad snow, and I'm terrified of riding other people's sleds since I can't afford to fix it when I hit a tree. For now I will stick to saying I like the M more, maybe once I get used to the proclimb ill like it more, who knows, either way I like my M to much to sell it and try anything else (unless I was to snow check).

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
M vs. PC

Can't speak for the 800's, but I owned a modded M1000 that was easily 70lbs lighter then stock, and now have a '13 M1100T which had been lightened 30 lbs last season, and was equipped with EVO's BC Turbo. Jumping back & forth, I enjoyed the PC chassis more overall after spending two days on it, and felt it handled better then my M1K, or my wife's 09 M8 in everything but tight trees or holding really stupid lines where the weight of the 4S would tire you out quickly. I would imagine the PC 8 would be considerably better in that aspect. Whatever you chose, spend some time setting it up for you, and you'll be a happy camper.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
No sled is perfect for everybody... the pro has positives, the XM does, and the PC has some too, .

This is the whole story! you can line up 100 people and everyone will have something different to say bad about the other sled brands. Pro's and con's they all have them. Pick the sled that works best for you, if you like the Cat you will get along with it. If you get it in your mind that you won't like the Cat then chances are you will fight it. You can pretty much do all the same things on all sleds, You will just have to ride each of them differently. I have swaped back and fouth be tween all 4 brands. I can like each of them, and then turn and hate each of them.

The cornering Down hill on the proclimb, with my limited time on one. Seems like you have to be on your game or it may take you for a ride, but nothing that I thought was out of reach that would make me say, no way I don't want one.

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The PC is just plain easier to ride than the M. Even though it isnt lighter (until 2014) it feels lighter. It takes less effort to do the same maneuvers as the old M. The M was great in its day, but those days are gone.

Premium Features