• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt Tension

R
Mar 9, 2009
My belt seems really loose on the new-to-me summit i just bought. i can almost pinch it so the belt touches inbetween the clutch and the secondary. How do I adjust the tension and how tight should the belt be on this sled? sled is a 2005 summit 800

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Make sure it's the correct belt and not too worn. Then, as tight as possible without squeeling, creeping or making the engine hard to start.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
You adjust it on the secondary, there are some numbers on it 1-6 I believe. Unscrew the 3 bolts and twist the outter ring...higher the number tighter the belt, this adjusts your deflection. Start it up and get the track off the ground. The track should barely spin or you should be able to spin the track with 2 fingers.
I would go buy a new belt and use your old one as a spare that way you will know where it should be set for a new belt. Then when you lose some deflection from belt wear you'll know it's getting close for a new belt.

P
Dec 1, 2008
Kimberley, BC
My belt seems really loose on the new-to-me summit i just bought. i can almost pinch it so the belt touches inbetween the clutch and the secondary. How do I adjust the tension and how tight should the belt be on this sled? sled is a 2005 summit 800

Yep tighten up the deflection. Belt should be roughly out of the secondary to the cords. Make sure it is the right belt too. OEM belt is a 166.

R
Mar 9, 2009
well the belt is new. or was hardly ridden by the previous owner because there is no wear and tear so that shouldn't be a problem. And thanks for all the help I'm gonna head home and adjust that as soon as school is out!:)

Premium Features