• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

electrical issues on gauges

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
Hello fellow skidoo lovers, I have an 09 xp and this year the first time I took the machine out the low fuel light was on and the fuel guage says empty even when full. Then every so often the gauges will beep and restart just like they do when you first start machine up, and the reverse beeps will work sometimes and sometimes it won't. If any of you have had this issue or have any idea of what would be the cause I could greatly use the extra help, the sled runs just fine but must have an electrical issue somewhere!!! I must add that the left hand warmer has just quit as well not sure if this is related or not!! I appreciate all the input thanks!!!

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
My fuel gauge never worked properly. In fact, out of all the XPs around here I know of a grand total of 0 with working fuel gauges.

Yep, welcome to the world of electronic fuel gauges. Shouldn't exactly be rocket science with the technology in todays world... for some reason though, it is. Just go by your trip odometer to know roughly how much fuel is left.

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
thanks for the info Demo I can go without the gauge but any idea on the restarting of the gauges running down the trail is it something to worry about or not! It's definetely not right but doesn't mean that its going to hurt anything.

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
thanks for the info Demo I can go without the gauge but any idea on the restarting of the gauges running down the trail is it something to worry about or not! It's definetely not right but doesn't mean that its going to hurt anything.

Sorry, wish I could help you on that one but I'm not sure.

Mine would do the gauge sweep and beep if the idle ever got really low. It was enough of a power interruption to trick the sled into thinking it was just starting up I guess. It shouldn't be happening when riding... but like you said, maybe it isn't a problem? As for the hand warmers... mine were recalled and then eventually went back to working intermittently, I was too lazy to worry about fixing them though.

W
Nov 26, 2007
Valdez
Its the handwarmers

I had similar issues last year. I pulled the pins out of the handwarmer plugs (went without) and that fixed it. There is probably a short under the grips. If you have an X model you might be able to use the other circuit. Only two of the three wires are used. Low High.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
On my '09 Hillclimb the connection for the fuse next to the chaincase was loose and would cause my gauges to reset. I used needle nose to clamp them a little tighter and the problem went away. Not sure if that was the exact problem overall, but it definitely had to do with the wires coming into the fuses by the chaincase.

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
Hey thanks for all the input and ideas I will check out all you have stated and let you know what I find, again thanks a ton I really appreciate it!!!!

Dec 30, 2007
sd
try pulling the fuses on the chaincase..mine were a little oily from being next to the oil tank,,,and check the plug in on the chaincase too. I am hoping some electric contact cleaner around these areas fixed the same issues you are having.

Premium Features