• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Summit Hillclimb Makeover

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Well I decided its time to upgrade sleds, finally had the zx just perfect and the way I wanted it, and now with nothing left to do to it I got board and decided to upgrade sleds and start all over.

So I moved into the 21st century and purchased a 2009 Summit Hillclimb 800r with a brand new short block in it, and both clutches just completely rebuilt. Here it is the day I bought it.
imagevggi.jpg

imagecyk.jpg

imagepvl.jpg

So the engine is brand new so I think I am going to run it for one season at least but I am dead set on getting a rk tek 860 put in it, so who knows it may be this summer.
My first changes where to change out the track to a 162 and put on a size smaller drivers, changes the gearing to 19/49 why I was at it as well. Did a few changes to my ice age rails and big wheel kit to make them fit and put a custom made VE tunnel extension and Proven design products rear tail light on.

Then I put on a new boss seat, 10 in riser, heated riser bag and my dual egt with water and tach.
imagehez.jpg

On the front end I got a font bumper from LC customs and put on my fox float shocks.

I installed the complete frog skinz front vents, knee vents, and shock tower vents. I also installed there air intake on the top of the gauge cluster and the one on the back of the air box in front of the gas tank.

My final mods for right now were to install my boysen reed cages and boss noss nitrous system. I got the new style reeds with the full aluminum boots and I threaded the boots so I could install the boss nitrous nozzles right into them. This worked out great and I think it will work awesome as well. I was really happy with how that turned out. I was however amazed at how much work it was to install the reeds. That bolt behind the clutch tower is a real pain in the but. I was able to get it out and the new one installed with out removing the clutch tower but it was not easy at all. I used a ratchet wrench and one click at a time I took it out and fought it the whole way back it. Probably have one hour of my life at least wrapped up in that one bolt.
The bottles I made a custom mount and got them both mounted on the right hand side, tight fit but it will work great I think.

My next mods on the list are to get the s36 for sure, maybe the t-motion and I really want to do something with the running boards wether it be inserts or a full on board like the skinz or diamond s, cant make up my mind yet. And for sure the BB sooner or later.
I will admit that it is a little more challenging working on the newer sled then my old zx, everything is just a little more compact. I guess some things are easier to get at and some are harder. All in all I really love the sled so far and am really looking forward to riding it next year

Last edited:

M7DingBat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2009
Alaska
Nice build, and clean shop by the way.

Also, I thought I was the only one who loves, "the Flying Bricks". :face-icon-small-coo

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Finally had a chance this summer to work on the sled again. Got the narrow front end put on. Makes a huge difference on the force to lean over that's for sure. Now I am going to get the t-motion, just sold out and on back order everywhere I check. So if anyone knows where I can get a kit right now let me know.

Last edited:

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
Good lookin sled! Also looks like it's going to haul some a$$ :rockon:

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
Does the Boss seat shed any weight? Stock seat is pretty darn light. I know the Boss won't absorb the moisture....

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009

Got T-motion and have installed, very straight forward and simple. I ordered the pro series ride kit from tom's snowmobile for the back shocks will update when that is installed. Also ordered the evol upgrade for my front fox floats.

My favorite mod that I have done lately is the H&H customs tube running boards. Bought these boards for a great price, much cheaper then the skinz or any other brand that I came across. These guys are awesome to work with, ordered these boards over the phone and had them at my house the next day. The fit and finish is awesome, the design is great and the welds look perfect to me. Highly recommend

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009

Pro Series Ride kit from Toms Snowmobile

Evol upgrade for fox floats

Got my shocks in the mail today from toms snowmobile. Have nothing but great things to say about them as well. Spend a lot of time on the phone with a couple of there guys, all very knowledgable and great to talk to. Talked to tom on the phone today when i got my shocks to go over settings and suggestions. Talked for a half hour or so, great guy who really likes to share his knowledge and help ya out. Would highly recommend to anyone.

Going to get them installed, will get some pics up when in.

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Everywhere I look I read about the post forward mod, guess I'm this far in might as well..

Good eye on the rails... I used them because I bought and installed them on my last sled.. Only used them for one trip then bought this sled and parted out the old one... I had the rails laying side by side and with me extending this sled from 154 to 162 it just worked next to perfect, I really couldn't see a downside to it so I ran with it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Everywhere I look I read about the post forward mod, guess I'm this far in might as well..

Good eye on the rails... I used them because I bought and installed them on my last sled.. Only used them for one trip then bought this sled and parted out the old one... I had the rails laying side by side and with me extending this sled from 154 to 162 it just worked next to perfect, I really couldn't see a downside to it so I ran with it.

the post mod is by far the best bang for buck I have felt on an XP. super easy.

as for the rails, I may work at Ice age, so got an eye for those little details:face-icon-small-ton, they are SUPER similar and the bend in the front is the same. mainly just relocating the rear scissor arm holes.

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Well I just got back from a week trip to Cooke City. The snow was the best I have ever ridden in and probably living so far away from the mountains the best I will in my life.
Anyways my take on the sled. The H&H running boards are awesome, super strong, hold no snow and the traction is awesome. I love the mod and recommend it to everyone, there are no downsides at all, only good. The rest of my group, arctic cats, ski doos, Polaris, all were chipping off ice and snow buildup. I never had to, ever.
Roosterbuilt clutching..... amazing.... They put a kit together for me, I installed in and set it up just exactly how they told me too.. Spot on, Never touched it, not even the clickers.... sled ripped, 8200 on demand and for the entire pull. The clutches never got hot, my belt looks like new after four and a half days of over the hood powder ridding, the rest of my group all replaced or blew belts. These guys have it figured out, hands down.

Now the bad, half way through the last day, I come out of a valley and start off down the trail and here a strange noise and vibration. this is what I find:

Clutch snapped off, and I don't know why. Brand new shortblock less then 18 months old with 400 or so miles on it. The only good, it was the last day, I was so sore and tired I was ready to be done ridding. It happened on a trail thank god so it was very easy to pull out, only five miles or so from town. And I was going to do a bb after this trip anyways.... it s just going to cost me a little more $ then I had planned.... Snowmobiling I quess

So engine is out and up at sled head racing as we speak getting a 860 and a fresh crank put in. Hoping to make it out to togwotte in a couple weeks, fingers crossed for engine to get back..... I have faith in Big John

Now I really think I need a three inch track to go along with this added power, so that is what I am contemplating... Any imput or advice is welcome. Also is there anything else that I need to do while I have the engine out.... now is a good time...

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Well My engine is going to be getting done soon and I am hoping to get back out to Laramie on the 20th of march and try this beast of a motor out. I also decided with the extra power I needed a better track.. so first I found a good deal from SHR on a 163x 2.5 Flex edge with no miles on it for a great price so I bought that. Well a few days later I stumbled onto a good deal on a very very low mile 162x16x3in track with drivers so I couldn't pass that up and bought that. The 3in is what I really wanted so that's the route I am going to go... Hope I'm not disappointed because it is expensive.

So if Anyone wants a brand new zero mile 2014 take off 163x16x2.5 flex edge let me know..

Also have a 162x16x2.25 2.52 pitch track in pretty good shape for a mountain track missing a couple paddles but still in great shape. And 8tooth 2.52 pitch drivers for xp drive shaft. let me know

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
You will not be dissappointed with the 3" track...it is the only way to go. I would think you will see 50 mph+ track speed and go anywhere. Install tip....make sure you press the drivers on to the inside of the windows. It will illiminate the lateral movement and keep the track running more straight.There isnt much clearance with that beast and this will help with the side to side clearance of the track and tunnel. I have about 1/8" from the inside of my driver to the inside of the window. Here is a link to another thread regarding the 3" track. Posts 44 and 62 show pics of my install, but I would recommend reading the entire thread...very helpful.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315554

Nice build.

Last edited:

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Well got my motor back and got my three inch track! Now its just getting it all back together.
Got the sled all stripped down and cleaned up ready to get put back together.

Picture of my suspension with Toms stock riders series rear shocks

The exhaust shield was starting to come apart so I found a couple rolls of exhaust wrap and after several hours and doing it over and over I finally got it to the point were I like it. Not a fun job at all, very itchy and very hard to get just right.

Got my Three inch Challenger x3 track. 162x16x3in, cant use traction as an excuse any more. Installed with 7 tooth avid drivers. Track takes some persuasion to get into place, but went better then I thought it might.

And Finally to the heart of the beast, my custom built SHR880. Got it installed and started on the third pull.... Couldn't believe it. Have a little oil leak that I need to get fixed before I leave on Thursday but other then that she is good to go. Cant wait to get to the mountains and put some miles on this thing.

Will get some more pictures up tonight of the finished product.

If anyone needs motor work done or is thinking about doing some motor work call Big John at Sled Head Racing.. The man knows what he is talking about, his work is top notch and his service is right on time. Cant say enough about my experiences with SHR...

Premium Features