• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 LT TSS first impression

Tride

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2010
Bozeman MT
Finished getting her together yesterday (well, finished pumping up the TSS this morning), rode 4 hours today in variable condition--mostly sugar snow, 2-4' in depth. Hit a few things but no damage.

First impressions: Man, this thing is tall! I thought they were lowering the seat height, but no way. I've got a few threads on the TSS I can lower it, and the Seat Concepts seat may have to go.

Trail manners are in fact much improved. Very smooth ride, much less darting.

Powder performance was not anything like a night and day difference. My buddy on his '13 kit with a 570 could go everywhere I could. On the other hand, the Thumper 570 kit is the real deal. The Husky ran great, but at the end of the day its still a 450.

Need engine shrouds. Even with the Thermo-Bob it was running cold.

Anyone else getting out? How about all you guys up in Revy?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Kinda figured the TSS would make zero difference in the deep. Good to know. Thanks

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Got my kit out today too. Bike ran awesome. Temps good. Front end feels and steers really heavy on the road. Is this normal or is my setup u think? This is my first kit and i've never ridden anyones else so i've nothing to compare to. Really impressed with my bike though. Super fun off trail!

Tride

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2010
Bozeman MT
The TSS was very noticeable on drops off windlips--very smooth landing. Not doing any real drops since there's no base. Evaluating the powder performance might be a little premature since it was all sugar, but as I said the 570 on a ST went everywhere I did on the LT. I'm not regretting the purchase, but it's an evolutionary change, not revolutionary (so far).

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
Got my kit out today too. Bike ran awesome. Temps good. Front end feels and steers really heavy on the road. Is this normal or is my setup u think? This is my first kit and i've never ridden anyones else so i've nothing to compare to. Really impressed with my bike though. Super fun off trail!

Sounds exactly right... they can be a bit of a chore on the packed trail but handle like a dream once you have at least a couple inches of fresh. I'd guess most guys ride the roads just like me -- I'm always looking for that foot-wide strip of untouched snow along the edges of the roads.

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Does anyone have experience with that tripple point skag thats available?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut

Yep normal.. I found the tss helps a lot with the darting and handling on the road but still a bit sketchy without a few inches ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Stoked to ride it again tomorrow though! Still hitting fifth gear on the road and looking for 6th and 7th so not that bad!

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Does anyone have experience with that tripple point skag thats available?

I have the triple point skags centre and the edges.

For me they totally rock perfect on trails hands down the best. In the deep snow they are just as good as the U channel runners .

They are much more forgiving hitting stumps rocks and gravel.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Very true... it seems like the U-shaped ones have a more abrupt leading edge that catches on things like rocks and logs, but the triple carbide has a smoother edge.

X2, that abrupt leading edge is a bent spindle waiting to happen. I tapered the uchannel runners a bit on a grinder and then made a tapered wedge out of hi fax and screwed to the ski in front of the center runner. It now glides over things much better. I also tapered the rear ends. It now pulls backwards easier when off loading as it does not catch on every protrusion.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Had mine out yesterday and I think I'm going to let some air out of the TSS Im at 300psi now and I can't feel any movement? Going to try 250pzi today and adjust the rear like I have done on my last 4 bikes, loosen the rear spring preload and tighten the front spring preload,I got to ride a 16 kit with no TSS last spring and it felt wayyy lighter on the ski than my new one with TSS

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Had mine out yesterday and I think I'm going to let some air out of the TSS Im at 300psi now and I can't feel any movement? Going to try 250pzi today and adjust the rear like I have done on my last 4 bikes, loosen the rear spring preload and tighten the front spring preload,I got to ride a 16 kit with no TSS last spring and it felt wayyy lighter on the ski than my new one with TSS

My thought exactly I think if you not doing huge drops low air in the rear is the ticket..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tride

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2010
Bozeman MT
Screwed the TSS mounting heim all the way in (maybe 10 mm), and the bike is still TALL. I need to get my air stapler from work and put the stock foam back on, but I'm 6'2" and the top of seat is at my bellybutton. I figure if I could invent a little retractable ladder from the skidplate like the electric running boards for lifted trucks I'd be in business.

Drive chain is tight as a drum. Can't see that being good in the long run. Did not loosen up even with 3 hours of engine time yesterday.

J800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 27, 2008
Redmond Washington
I rode Friday 4' of fresh SUPER light powder. TSS worked great! The bike actually feels like the font forks and the rear suspension move at the same rate instead of the harsh feel the rear had with out the TSS.
Triple scag worked great to!

14 450 sxf.
14 ST w/ TSS and 16 track.

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
"if I could invent a little retractable ladder from the skidplate like the electric running boards for lifted trucks"

ah ha ha, I love this! How often have I been postholing around my bike looking for a way up, only to sink back down to my waist.

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
J800

Please report back if you get to ride a 2016. It looks like you got all the upgrades available for the '14. tss, track, carbides. That leaves the suspension. I am curious to know how much just the suspension alone has changed things.

J800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 27, 2008
Redmond Washington
I'm 195 LB with out gear 220 LB with gear I have 200 PSI in the TSS and with a all day ride that had some good hard hits I only measure 1 1/4" to the O ring.

I'm riding a 14 300 XC this weekend with a 16 kit I'll let you know my opinion on the difference.

Premium Features