• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009-2011 Diamond Drive Bearing Failure

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Dec 10, 2007
Edmonton Alberta
Just alittle heads up i was changing gears in my 08 M8 SP i have about 1700 miles on it the bearing was good but i noticed a little bit of brass little shavings everything looked fine untill i took the planetary apart and found the brass shims/washers were gone in 2 of the 5 gears not good.I dont know why i changed oil about every 500miles but it is something to pay attention to if you are changing to the new bearing just take a quick look at the planetarys aswell Thanks

N

notboosted

Dec 19, 2007
I just checked my 09 m8 bearing, bearing was still good but went ahead and replaced with wider bearing. My 07 m8 bearing was shot so i will relace it also. Bearing in the 09 was orange sealed chinese, bearing in 07 had black seal?

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
WTF is the deal with BDX? I have tried to PM the guy here, I have emailed them and I have left messages on the answering machine...no reply! I want to order the bearing and a few other misc. items and I can't!

S
Aug 20, 2008
North Idaho
07-08 Diamond drives

Here are a couple of pics of the required machining to update these drives to the double row bearing.

Here is the gear after machining . . .

07DDRETROFIT.jpg

Reassembled with new 5203 bearing :)

07DDRETROFITED.jpg

One finished, one in progress, and two more to go:beer;:beer;

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Do you just press the bearing on flush with the end of the shaft? Do I need a press or can I use a bench vise, or the old socket and hammer technique?

S
Aug 20, 2008
North Idaho
You may want to take note of bearing position before pulling it off, I have seen some flush, and some pressed on farther than flush. I have also seen shims behind the bearing on 07 drives. It seems the factory just pushes them down until they bottom out . . some gears are machined farther down then others. When I modify the 07-08 gears I machine them down to fit the bearing flush with the end of the shaft. I feel that this is the proper fit and should be shimmed to acheive this on 09-10 gears. It probably does not matter if it is slightly lower but the best teeth alignment would be with it flush. You can use the socket and hammer method to get the new bearing back on . . make sure to only pound or press on the center race and not the outer one or you can damage your new bearing ( I recommend using a press or vice if at all possible)

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Thanks for the advice! I see BDX sent me a PM back so I can get the bearing ordered!

S
Aug 20, 2008
North Idaho
WOW, thats obsurd! You can order them through your cat dealer for around $30 I beleive the part number is 1602-348, same bearing thats in the 05-06 Diamond Drive. I have a feeling that they may be on back-order though.
The ones I'm getting for $15 are a Japanese made bearing, which should be higher quality than the Chiwanese garbage they come with.

C
WOW, thats obsurd! You can order them through your cat dealer for around $30 I beleive the part number is 1602-348, same bearing thats in the 05-06 Diamond Drive. I have a feeling that they may be on back-order though.
The ones I'm getting for $15 are a Japanese made bearing, which should be higher quality than the Chiwanese garbage they come with.

Got one from the parts guy in our neighboring town..Paid 19 bucks! Its a KML bearing...hope the quality is decent! :face-icon-small-dis

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Finally heard back from BDX today. Talked with the guy on the phone for a while. He had alot of good info to share. Got my parts ordered. $15.95 for the double row bearing from them.

donaldej

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Corvallis Oregon
Extra Thanks to BD-Xtreme's service

For my 07 M8 I had ordered 55/65 gears from BD-Xtreme and decided on doing the wide bearing after receiving the gears. Ordered the 5203 from a local bearing place and picked it up the next day and dropped the bearing and gear off at a local shop to lathe the gear for the wide bearing. Picking it up the next morning (i work nights) and went to put it in and the bearing was to big??? Started looking and discovered i had a 5302 instead of a 5203 :mad: Don't know where the bearing screw up came from (probably me) but it didn't matter at this point anyway. I also noticed they had turned down the gear shaft to fit this other bearing so now the gear is no good. This was Thursday morning and I'm suppose to ride this weekend. I called up BD-Xtreme and told him my dilemma, they didn't have any single gears but he gave me a break for the gear set, new wide bearing, turning down the gear for the wide bearing and sending it over night. I know their super busy right now yet everything arrived today (Friday) and the DD drive is back in and is running.
Thanks BD-Xtreme for the service and helping me fix what was probably my screw-up. :beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

R
Mar 25, 2009
Palmer,AK.
For my 07 M8 I had ordered 55/65 gears from BD-Xtreme and decided on doing the wide bearing after receiving the gears. Ordered the 5203 from a local bearing place and picked it up the next day and dropped the bearing and gear off at a local shop to lathe the gear for the wide bearing. Picking it up the next morning (i work nights) and went to put it in and the bearing was to big??? Started looking and discovered i had a 5302 instead of a 5203 :mad: Don't know where the bearing screw up came from (probably me) but it didn't matter at this point anyway. I also noticed they had turned down the gear shaft to fit this other bearing so now the gear is no good. This was Thursday morning and I'm suppose to ride this weekend. I called up BD-Xtreme and told him my dilemma, they didn't have any single gears but he gave me a break for the gear set, new wide bearing, turning down the gear for the wide bearing and sending it over night. I know their super busy right now yet everything arrived today (Friday) and the DD drive is back in and is running.
Thanks BD-Xtreme for the service and helping me fix what was probably my screw-up. :beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

Doh! That sucks man.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
BDX update: Got all my parts from BDX the next day! Going to do the bearing install this afternoon. Thanks guys!

Premium Features