• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tip of the day - Change that fuel filter!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M

maxitout77

Nov 21, 2010
Vermont
A little background. I have a 2011 Std RMK. about 3800 miles. Shes had a rough life to say the least. Sled started running rough last weekend, wouldn't take full throttle, just fell on its face (intermitenly). I spent about 6 hours in the garage going through all the common issues. Checked killswitch, adjusted cable freeplay, TSS, cleaned valves, cleaned the hoses, checked clutching, spark plugs, etc. After none of that worked, I thought back to what I did diffrently the weekend before. I ran it out of fuel! That got me to thinking.

I was in the school of thought, if it aint broke, dont fix it (for the fuel system anyway, im actually very good about maint). I mean who changes fuel filters on sleds anyway? I already had all the stuff needed to do it per MH's thread (below)

After swapping out the fuel filter with the WIX one, the sled runs perfect. Not only did it fix my problem, it runs and pulls at WOT better than it has in awhile. I think all said and done i was $65 into the job. Worth every penny.

Yes, the sled ran fine before I ran it dry. I assume I sucked up some junk in the bottom of the tank. The power i got back by simply swapping the filter is awesome, feels like a new sled.

Heres the link to MH's thread. Good stuff. Easy job, just dont drop the fuel rail end retained into the belly pan like I did :)

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339626

dejoli

Lifetime Membership
Aug 13, 2009
MN - Twin Cities
I had a similar issue when I was in Tog a few weeks ago. End of day the sled would act as though the kill switch was hit. idled totally fine, but under any throttle it would sometimes hesitate and then go and other times would take off great, but then would suddenly stop. had to limp it back to the lodge a few miles like this.

Researched the issue, pulled the sled in the shop, looked at the exhaust valves and they looked great, TPS was fine. Plugs were a little off, but not bad. Swapped them anyway with new ones and also had a new fuel filter with that I hadn't put on yet. So put the new filter on and it ran great the rest of thew week without issue!

S
Dec 9, 2009
if this continual stopping issue happens after the tank is less than half full, check the fuel line rotting thread. Sled stops, restarts and runs ok until stopping again and again.

Premium Features