• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 Mountain SRX Overreving?

Y
Nov 18, 2010
North Dakota
Took the sled for a ride and it gets up to 9,000 RPM's at half throttle. Is that normal for these sleds? Could it be the weights in the clutch that is causing this? There is also a slit in one of the pipes that Im going to fix/weld/braze this week, could that hopefully be the cause? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

T
Dec 1, 2007
Is it new to you?
We need a lot more info on the history of this sled if you expect help.
If it,s set up for the mountains & you rode it in ND you probably allready hurt the motor.

Y
Nov 18, 2010
North Dakota
It's set up for SD right now. The YAMAHA dealers said it doesnt make much of a difference with ND or SD jets. I will be setting it up for ND soon. It is a new sled to me, the first owner apparently put high performance heads on it, but everyone else that also looked at said they look stock as well as myself. Everything else except for the can on the sled is stock. Runs great, starts in -30F weather in one pull. Running YAMALUBE oil, I may switch to AMS Oil because I would have to special order YAMALUBE here. I hope thats enough information. Thats all I can think of right now, feel free to ask any questions, I will try to answer them as best I can.

T
Dec 1, 2007
Ther is a big diff in black hills/nd jetting. Your gonna need to add a ton of weight to the primary to bring down rpm,s. Run the stock 98 srx jetting before you ride it again if it,s not too late allready.
The 98 srx clutching was horrible stock & needs a lot of tweaking. You should be 8400 rpm tops at wot.

Y
Nov 18, 2010
North Dakota
from what I was told is that it wasnt set up for the black hills, just SD, and not to go on any tall hills. I have the ND jets for it that I will put back in and reweigh the clutch. Do you think that will fix the problem? Like I said it runs and sounds great, so Im sure the engine is fine from my experience anyway. I havent had to deal with anything like this before. My dad has a 2000 MM700 and the YAMAHA dealer here told him that he wouldnt recommend rejetting it for SD also a few years back. He was really lazy and never maintained his stuff so now his sled is rotting on his trailer. I was thinking that 9 was too high for half throttle, should be more like 5

J
Dec 15, 2008
Orofino, Id
Jetting can make or brake your sled. If its jetted wrong and running lean you can melt it down before you realize it. Have you pulled the carbs and checked what Main Jets, Pilot Jets, where the Needle sits and where the Fuel screw is adjusted too? The numbers on the jets can be a little hard to read but if you can let me know those I can give you a rough idea of what it's set up for.

I've got the jetting chart for 98SRX as that's the sled I'm running and can get those on Tuesday when I get back home. It takes into account Elevation and Temp so if you can give me those for where you will be running I can let you know what the jet chart shows. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you jet for a lower elevation when you are running at a higher elevation it will be running richer. You're safer doing that so when you are at the lower elevations your not running lean.) Mines jetted for 3500-5000 at 20 degrees. I mostly ride about 4400-6000, but I have been playing with jetting still and checking piston wash/plug coloration. The chart isn't a fool proof method as nothing is in life, but gives you an idea of what to expect and where to start. The SRX runs a larger jet on the pipe side carb as it tends to heat up easier to from what I've been told and the chart shows that.

You also mentioned that your pipe is cracked, this could affect the carb jetting and you may want to fix it soon (or maybe I'm over paranoid). If the pipes are not the stock tripple pipes then jetting may be different too. I may have the clutching chart to give you an idea, but clutching is something you can play with and adjust until your blue in the face and not be satisfied with.

As for overheating there is a lot that can cause that. What is the temp light doing? The light will flash 3 times on start up then depending on how many flashes will tell you other things like the powervalve servo motor is not working but I do beleive will be on solid if your running too hot. What else is the sled doing and how long does it take to get hot? Hopefully I can be of help and have made sense. There are also some other sites that have great information on Yamaha sleds only. They are older and heavy sleds but set up right will run forever.

Y
Nov 18, 2010
North Dakota
its not overheating at all, it does also run a little lean but hasnt been ridden hard enough to hurt anything, In fact it hasnt really been ridden at all since the SD jets were in. Like I said I have the ND jets for it, I just need to install them. Its the stock triple pipes, but one pipe has a slit/cut in it which I plan on repairing before I ever ride it. The farthest its gone lately is up and down the block (not very far.) Im wondering how big of a difference the cut in the pipe makes rpm wise. Im thinking of taking the clutch to the local snowmobile dealing and have them weigh it, hes been into snowmobiles probably 15 more years than me which I have been into for 15 going on 16 years haha. Ill try to find out the elevation here tomorrow, as far as weather...unpredictable. last 2 days were 30 below later on we will be in the 50-60 below range, and the next day could be 20 above.

Last edited:

BBNytro

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2009
Estevan, Sask
On my 98 MSRX I was having the same problem with it grabbing 9000-9200. A buddy that worked on some of the early yamaha race teams told me to use the weights out of a 2001 SRX. It was a different sled after that. Rpm's dropped back to spec.

T
Dec 1, 2007
jetting should be 146.3/146.3/148.8
clip in #3 (middle)
fuel screw out 1 1/8 turns

You really have to load the stock 8dn weights super heavy to get rpm,s down. You want at least a 4.5 gram rivet in each hole with a 1 gram washer peened in between the weight & rivet. run a w-w-w primary spring also. The 8dn-20 weights from a 00-01 700 srx work way better loaded up with 4.4 rivets.

Y
Nov 18, 2010
North Dakota
I dont have much time this week (always working) so I wont be able to check that out yet, but I will try all of it out. I appreciate everyones help. Also when would you recommend to have the engine rebuilt in miles? Thanks

Last edited:
T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
i wouldn't worry about it till around 8000 mile then maybe re ring it. those motors are incredible if you look after them. they like clean carbs and good oil!

Y
Nov 18, 2010
North Dakota
Yeah Ive been looking around googling stuff and some people have some crazy miles on those things. Someone didnt rebuild theirs until 14000 mi and only rebuilt it cause it was a lot of miles, another person had one rebuild on their srx and all together had 32000 mi on it! I know you can't get anything as reliable as a YAMAHA, but geez haha.

S
Jul 4, 2009
Check your gearing also. When I left my mountain gears in my srx and put my flatland wieghts in the clutch I was overreving at 1/3-1/2 throttle. Maybe whoever had the sled before you geared it lower so that will throw your clutching off too.

Y
Nov 18, 2010
North Dakota
Thanks for the help, Im going to get this thing running right and use all of your helpful ideas, and possibly sell it. My dad is thinking of selling me his 2000 Mountain Max 700 with around 2400miles in amazing condition. Its all stock, no scratches, bent/broken parts, and never been rolled! I know someone who wants my MSRX so it shouldnt be hard to sell. I dont want to get rid of it, but its one or the other and the other is in better shape and should run longer.

Premium Features