• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Banging my head against this sled

C
Apr 15, 2008
shingletown,ca
Long story short,05,started misfiring on low end when you stabbed the throttle every so often.Some times when started for first time in morning would start up and run on one cylinder until you gave it gas would start running on two cylinders and run all day except for the occasional misfire as listed above,tail light not working and brake light on dash said brake was on.But machine would still run all day.Now it will only start up and run on one cylinder(mag side)then it will die if you give it throttle or back fire.I have spark to both cyliders.If I put gas in both cylinders it still only runs on mag side.(deep breath)Soo I dove into testing the stator first thing,everything tested good except for the yellow wires,they tested .4 ohms instead of .13 +or-what the manual calls out,I pulled the stator to check for any bad wires,dont see anything wrong except that it smelled burnt and yellow wires at stator are brown where they come out of stator and yellow at the plug.I think I should have done some more testing before I tore all this s#%@# off.Can a ignition coil be bad if it still sparks?Any suggestions?

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Kind of sounds like what my buds 05 900 did on the last ride this past season. On his the trigger coils were shot. The yellow wires did exactly what you are describing on yours. However, I have a brand new stator here, and the yellow wires do the same thing. .4 instead of .13. Now, I am not sure if I am missing something here or not.

Anyone else?

C
Apr 15, 2008
shingletown,ca
Kind of sounds like what my buds 05 900 did on the last ride this past season. On his the trigger coils were shot. The yellow wires did exactly what you are describing on yours. However, I have a brand new stator here, and the yellow wires do the same thing. .4 instead of .13. Now, I am not sure if I am missing something here or not.

Anyone else?

Did you say that the yellow wires coming out of stator were dark brown and at the plug they were yellow?when you say trigger coils are you referring to crank position sensor that are wired into stator? Thank you for the feed back.Maybe this stator is good?

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
My bad , his exciter coil tested bad. 0 resistance between the green/red, and green yellow. It should be 15 ohms.

C
Apr 15, 2008
shingletown,ca
My bad , his exciter coil tested bad. 0 resistance between the green/red, and green yellow. It should be 15 ohms.

Sxrlar,Could you do me a favor and check your new stator,and see if the yellow wires where they attach to the stator,see if they are brown in color or yellow?Mine are brown at the stator,like they got hot,and they turn to yellow about 3 inches away from stator.Thank You for your time

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Sxrlar,Could you do me a favor and check your new stator,and see if the yellow wires where they attach to the stator,see if they are brown in color or yellow?Mine are brown at the stator,like they got hot,and they turn to yellow about 3 inches away from stator.Thank You for your time

I already had the new stator installed, sorry. I can check the old one if you want me to?

Premium Features