• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turning the 1100T into crazy boondocking sled. HOW?

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
The appeal to me of the 4 stroke turbo is it has way, way more low end torque then an M8 and way, way less lag then an M8 with a turbo. I was blown away with the excellent throttle response on the M1100 turbo.

I think those factors help it in the trees.

I have an M800 on the way but would love more time on the 4 stroke turbo. Might have to get one of each!

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I was actually off a little bit with my weights, the ski doo is the heaviest of the 3.

Poo pro 458 dry 530 wet
doo xp 495 dry 561 wet
cat m8 482 dry 553 wet

Based on this all gassed up the 1100 will add about the same weight 70lbs.
560 + 70 = 650 That makes it almost 100 lbs heavier than the 8.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
When you refer to "boondocking in the trees," what exactly are you referring to? Does someone have a picture of what this looks like?

When I go out west I go with people who ride a wide variety of sleds, and frankly the only times someone is able to do something that someone else can't it's either because:
1) Their sled doesn't have the track or power to make it there in the snow conditions.
2) The rider can't carve, sidehill, or manage momentum well enough to pull it off.

What do these places look like where people can't follow because their sled is too heavy? If you're pushing the maneuverability limit of the sled that much aren't unexpected drifts and other terrain like that going to throw you into a tree on a regular basis?

When I think of screwing around in the trees I think of something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qq4qiX--Mg

Last edited:
I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights

So how many of you dudes are actually doing that kind of stuff? And although impressive as hell, there's plenty of room between the trees in that video in most cases. I couldn't do any of that crap, but it probably has more to do with my ****ty riding and a sled that doesn't have 200hp, as opposed to my sled being heavy.

I also imagine that crappy (or really good depending on how you look at it) camera angle makes stuff look tighter on video than it actually is.

I would like to know how they do that turn almost in place thing on a hill though. Last time I was out west a couple of the guys I went out there with were trying to pull it off, and they couldn't quite manage to get the thing all the way around.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Test ride in the fall unless you are lucky enough to ride a preprodution. Ride ALL of the new cats even compare other sleds then buy the one you want. Even though snow checking is cool,,,, by the time the snow check sleds are here the rest will be also. They won't recieve just the early order sleds on one truck and the rest later. I like all of these new sleds and hope to ride all three this fall.. One post on here said that the NA 1100 could suprise a few people I tend to think so too,, and if not super charge it!

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
So how many of you dudes are actually doing that kind of stuff? And although impressive as hell, there's plenty of room between the trees in that video in most cases. I couldn't do any of that crap, but it probably has more to do with my ****ty riding and a sled that doesn't have 200hp, as opposed to my sled being heavy.

I also imagine that crappy (or really good depending on how you look at it) camera angle makes stuff look tighter on video than it actually is.

I would like to know how they do that turn almost in place thing on a hill though. Last time I was out west a couple of the guys I went out there with were trying to pull it off, and they couldn't quite manage to get the thing all the way around.

that would be on the farthest edge of extreme boondocking. that looked quite vertical and lots of trees. most dont ride like that cause if they dont have turbo they aint doin that. some probably try and down they go. im sure there is others out there that can ride like that but my guess is most on this forum dont. i would like to see the m1100 four stroke boon like that. man they must wreck **** some days though.... cant ride forever in that kind of terrain and not hit nothing.... they are the best at it but even the best fu*kup. that definitely is not for me nor would i bother. all the power to all who ride that extreme. i like to come home in one piece! :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007

Your vid shows a guy driving around... and there is some trees near by.... the schooled vid is a lil different and you wont find any turbo 4 strokes doing that stuff.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
Your vid shows a guy driving around... and there is some trees near by.... the schooled vid is a lil different and you wont find any turbo 4 strokes doing that stuff.

I tend to agree, but would like to see bret or anyone(literally) try to put the 1100t thru the paces.Truly see how it stacks up. The fact is that on the Schooled vid, you prob aren't going to do any of that with a N/A 800 either. There is a TON OF TRACK SPEED needed for a lot of those moves.

As far as the first you tube vid of the older polaris, Put that in about a 45-60 degree angle, leave the wide open horse trail he was following, and that is what I think of when we say "in the trees". we ride cooke quite a bit and are in the burned trees,up by henderson and over Daisy and around the back, i'd say 70% of most trips...some of you will know what I'm referring to.

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
In Schooled Again, Bret and Chris ride stock sleds and do the same stuff Dave posted in the video above. Their turbo sleds aren't the magic, it's rider skill.

People seem to get this backwards -- Learn how to ride first, then go for more power.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
In Schooled Again, Bret and Chris ride stock sleds and do the same stuff Dave posted in the video above. Their turbo sleds aren't the magic, it's rider skill.

People seem to get this backwards -- Learn how to ride first, then go for more power.

Yep, got to ride with him this year, he rode a stock M8 162 one whole day and could still do that stuff:scared: some of the stuff you see in the schooled video that is, the other two vids are pretty tame for those guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab_zZ9u2D6M&feature=related

Disclaimer: Not implying these are the only two guys that can ride this way, just posting a link to a video that has an example of that type of riding

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I read half of this thread and gave up, maybe you guys should join the oil speculation too.
Very few have rode this sled enough to know anything. To say power doesn't help in the trees is a stupid statement, I prove that wrong every time I ride. Its a new chassis if it handles 1-10 times better it will work 1-10 times better in the trees. I was leaning toward the m800 but after hearing from a few people that say they road the 11t and loved it I will wait. Yet another pointless thread all because AC shoved there head up there as$ and isn't doing demo rides.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO

Thats exactly how I ride, couldn't pull off the up hill u-turn the way I wanted to until I got a new suspension, now all I have to do is stand on the back of the running boards and pull up and it does it on its own. I have also made full throttle pulls while pulling a wheelie through trees so tight I was breaking branches on both sides, pretty much there is nothing in that video teaser I haven't done at some point, other than the jumping, I don't do big air.

Maybe you should ask yourself how to do it and just figure it out, rather than think its one special guy out there that does it all.

I know a few guys that have tapex's that can go where we do, its more work but it can still be done.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
So, if we take apples to apples dollar wise (new sled plus $6k) to compare the 1100T (Spending money on weight loss) to an M8T (spending money on turbo) I'd be curious how you'd fare? The 1100 would still have the reliability we hope for in a 4 stroke, but I wonder how the two would compare with the same amount of money put in.

I'd really like to ride one, the kind of riding I do doesn't lend itself to a 4 stroke, but I'm curious how they handle, I bet a well set up one would very seriously surprise people in the trees.

And btw, I think you'd find that more people who live out here ride relatively closer to how burandt & rasmussen ride than you'd think. I'm no tree monster, but that looks more like how we ride in the trees (a sally, wuss version that is...) than just driving through them in the flats.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
If you ride trees I would be looking at the M8. I saw reports of guys who actually weighed their PRORMK's when they picked them up last fall. The 431lbs dry figure was pretty much right on when the calculated shock oil weight, coolant etc. That is over 100lbs less weight right off the bat than the 1100Turbo.

I am sure Speedwerks will be working on light weight exhaust and what not not get the weight down some but it will never be as light as a two stroke.

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana
Thats exactly how I ride, couldn't pull off the up hill u-turn the way I wanted to until I got a new suspension, now all I have to do is stand on the back of the running boards and pull up and it does it on its own. I have also made full throttle pulls while pulling a wheelie through trees so tight I was breaking branches on both sides, pretty much there is nothing in that video teaser I haven't done at some point, other than the jumping, I don't do big air.

Maybe you should ask yourself how to do it and just figure it out, rather than think its one special guy out there that does it all.

I know a few guys that have tapex's that can go where we do, its more work but it can still be done.

Yup me too! That's exactly how I ride....almost every night; then the wife roles over and wakes me up. :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features