• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005-6 Arctic Cat Driveshaft Nut

B
Feb 18, 2008
Anyone near Denver, CO have the special socket from BDXtreme to remove the driveshaft nut with the 3 notches in it? I have tried everything to get it off without it and am getting nowhere.
I will pay to borrow it if so!!

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I have one but it's not very economic to send it to you. Here's what you can do. This will more than likely damage the nut you have but new ones are cheap and just order one when you order the socket. Set the brake and then take a large punch and stick it in one of the three/four dimples of the nut and then hammer it off in a counter clockwise position. You might look and make sure the nut doesn't have a punch mark on it to lock it on the shaft. If it is locked then it will be tight going for the first few turns. I think Cat recommends a new nut everytime because of the lock.

P
Dec 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
beat on her...then put it back on. If you think it wont hold for any reason, put another punch mark on it. iT AINT GONNA GO ANYWHERE UNLESS YOUR LIMPwritsed and didnt hammer it on enough in the first place.

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I'd strongly advise against using a hammer and punch as when the shock force from the hammer blow will create small impressions on the bearing race resulting in premature bearing failure. We have done many studies on bearing failures and it is one of the top five reasons that bearings fail. You can do what ever you would like to get the nut off but using the correct socket is always the best.

Ray

B
Feb 18, 2008
Thanks

I was trying to get it done on Sat but I will probably order the socket and a new nut on Monday since I missed riding this weekend. Just hoping to catch one more ride this year!!

Premium Features