• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track advice for 01 summit x

A
Jan 9, 2015
Hello all I am new to the forum and new to snowmobiling. I have a 2001 summit x with a 144" track. I was recently given a 154 X 16 track with 2.25" paddle track off of my friends 09 summit hill climb. I was reading about track extensions and i can get extension to take it to a 151 skid. I was thinking of 3 options

1. do a extension kit and put big wheels on the back to take up the difference.

2. do an extension kit and move the skid back.

3. do a skid set back to take it to 151 and put big wheels to make up the differences.

i don't know that much about sleds but im keen to learn. Im also a hd mechanic so i think my mechanical skills are up to most challenges.

Also is there any other mods i should be l looking at any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Seedie_Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2008
Park Rapids, MN
You will need to change drivers from the current 2.52,9 tooth to 2.86, 8 tooth, 2.25 won't fit with 9 tooth. Go with the extrovert drivers but if you do you will need to do a skid set-back or the rails will hit the drivers. I wouldn't do rail extensions I would do a 5 1/2 - 6" set-back. you can't just go 5" because the drivers are smaller. Eliminate your current drop brackets and get some good 6" aluminum drop brackets. You will also need to turn the bolts that fasten the steering support around, put the head on inside otherwise will rub the side of the track and lugs. I have done 6 or 7 of these, It's a pain but worth it.

Steve

Premium Features