• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PCV or Pipe/Can best bang for the buck?

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
I just purchased a new 09 D8 163 with all the updates-I can only efford either a pipe/can or a PCV. Which will the most amount of gain in overall engine performance? also this is my first brand new sled any new break in advice or things to adjust advice would be great! thanks

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I would say the PC V for sure. More power than the pipe + added reliability. If your sled has any stumble issues it should cure that too.
Do you work for Adobe?

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
If you ride 5-8000' I'd vote pipe, you probably won't need a fuel controller with the pipe.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
I just purchased a new 09 D8 163 with all the updates-I can only efford either a pipe/can or a PCV. Which will the most amount of gain in overall engine performance? also this is my first brand new sled any new break in advice or things to adjust advice would be great! thanks

PCV then clutch the hell out of it i thought i had good clutching last year holy crap does it rip this year now that my clutching is way better, you can have all the power in the world dont mean crap when it dont get to the ground, also keep an eye out for a used camo extreme to switch to stock tracks are terrible

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Went for my first ride yesterday and no stumble heat cycled a few times I could only about 7900 rpms at 9000 ft with 58g wts. and blue/pink slp spring
I'm hoping that after I run this first tank of gas with all the pre-mix(2pints) I
can get into the 8100 range-If I can't I'm not to sure what to do-

thefullmonte-I do not work for Adobe-In this part of Colorado we have a type of dirt that people call Adobe-I spend most of my summer riding and racing my dirtbike in it

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Went for my first ride yesterday and no stumble heat cycled a few times I could only about 7900 rpms at 9000 ft with 58g wts. and blue/pink slp spring
I'm hoping that after I run this first tank of gas with all the pre-mix(2pints) I
can get into the 8100 range-If I can't I'm not to sure what to do-

thefullmonte-I do not work for Adobe-In this part of Colorado we have a type of dirt that people call Adobe-I spend most of my summer riding and racing my dirtbike in it
Dirt biking in CO has to be a blast. I'm stuck here in MN in sand. I was just curious about that. My brother in law works for them.
The pipe is good for about 6HP the PC V is reportedly good for about 10-12 on top and probably similar through the mid range. These sleds have and extremely lean mid range. An air fuel ratio of 14.7 is considered lean and flirting with the dark side. Some guys have reported the stock Polaris map as lean as 17.0 through much of the mid range RPM to pass EPA.
It might be just me, but that just doesn't sit well. If you like your sled and want the longevity from it I would run the PC V first. At extreme elevations the pipe may really help, but it won't replace the ability to "jet" your sled. Even SLP is recommending the PC V these days. Do that first and then next year get their pipe.

Premium Features